Men Basketball!!!

You guys might want to get your season tickets now... A little birdie told me that this new head coach and his staff hacve put together one "doosey" of a team, full of great hometown talent and great talent from abroad.... They may become the farm school Lamar University needs them to be.....

They may have enough talent to give Lamar U a push come openning day.  It will be good to have a number of athletic events to go to... Not jut LU and Highschool... JC ball is pretty fun when you attract good players.  The thing that most don't know is that some above average kids don't qualify for University sports even though they may be more talented, and it is fun to see them get a chance!

I think that when you see some of the names, you will be impressed with Jerre Cole's first recruiting class, especiallyconsidering that he got a late start because of the hiring situation at the college.

And I'd love to give you some names, but I have to wait. No signing is official until the Lamar State president signs off on it. We kind of jumped the gun last week when we announced that the Seahawks had signed Josh Washington, a guard from Baton Rouge.

You can read about that signing in "Lamar State College-Port Arthur sports" on this board.

We might be announcing some more signings this week. Stay tuned.....

I think that when you see some of the names, you will be impressed with Jerre Cole's first recruiting class, especiallyconsidering that he got a late start because of the hiring situation at the college.

And I'd love to give you some names, but I have to wait. No signing is official until the Lamar State president signs off on it. We kind of jumped the gun last week when we announced that the Seahawks had signed Josh Washington, a guard from Baton Rouge.

You can read about that signing in "Lamar State College-Port Arthur sports" on this board.

We might be announcing some more signings this week. Stay tuned.....

Lamar is nothing but a bunch of Junco Transfers....  Who do you think Lamar is?  I bet San Jac could beat them in most years....

• 1 month later...

Believe me, I am more excited about this season than I have been about any of our previous seasons, and I was excited about all of them.

Lamar State is making a giant leap from Division III (non-scholarship) to Division I (full scholarship). The Seahawks' new head coach, Jerre Cole, is matching that giant leap with one of his own, by signing more talent than have ever been on a Lamar State roster.

From experience, we know the fall roster will go through additions and subtractions (mostly the latter) as players quit or become ineligible for the spring). So, whatever list of signees we post now, it most probably will change.

I know of three returning players -- guards Jason Williamson and Jemel Douriso, and forward George Williamson.

Here are the players who have officially signed with the college as of today (August 6):

Adrian Fontenot, a 6'-6" freshman power forward from Baytown Sterling

Joshua Washington, a 5'-8" freshman guard from Istrouma High School in Baton Rouge, La.

Jacovin Buckner, a 6'-2" freshman small forward from Port Arthur Memorial

Dallas Bean, a 6'-2" freshman off guard from Little Cypress-Mauriceville

D’jameon Stearns, a 5'-11" freshman p/s guard from Houston Wheatley

Joseph Franklin, a 6'-4" freshman small forward from Houston Wheatley

Lincoln Charlton, a 6'-8" freshman power forward from Beaumont Central

Stephen Moten, a 6'-4" freshman power forward from Beaumont Ozen

Jacoby Joseph, a 6'-6" freshman small forward from Beaumont Ozen

Cole also signed Chan-cious Rose, a 6'-0" sophomore p/s guard from Aldine who played at Ohlone College in California this past year. However, Rose may not be leaving Ohlone.

If he doesn't come here, Cole probably will sign someone to take that scholarship. I know he will be signing a couple of players in the next few days. I'll keep you posted.

I also know of several players who plan to "walk-on" in the fall, including Kevin Cooper, a 1st team all-district player from Little Cypress-Mauriceville; and Creshon McBride, a 1st team all-district and all-region player from Jasper.

THEBRAIN also referred to Tim Hamlin, a 6-8 post from Boston, Massachusetts. He played in a reserve role this past year at Oakton Community College in Des Plaines, Illinois. 

There are some other things cooking, but nothing is set yet.

What's the word on J'covan Brown?  Do the Seahawks have any shot at landing him?  I don't know what his options are right now, but it could have a big impact locally if he stayed.  What are his overseas prospects?  He's a great player, but he still seems to be lacking in the maturity dept.  Hope he can get things together and help the local team.

From RCSSPORTS:

Due to academics, Mark Politte will not be inking with Lamar State College @ Port Arthur, as reported the other day.  Ditto for ex Aldine HS star Chancious Rose (who attended JUCO in California this past season).  However, don't be surprised if Elsworth Porter (who was all but a done deal to attend Casper, WY JUCO) decides to stay warm in the winter

As of today, Porter had not signed with Lamar State. That could change tomorrow. It's coming down to the wire for him and many other unsigned players as the fall semester opening date approaches.

RCS Sports' Jim Hicks reported Monday that Porter hadn't made a decision, even though school is about to start at Lamar State and at the junior college he was considering in Wyoming.

We're working on a 2008-09 media guide, so I'll be talking to Coach Cole tomorrow about the fall roster. There also may be several walk-ons I don't know about who will show up when the class list is released next Monday, the first day of Fall Semester.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder