INTERESTING READING

Diamond coaches: They need raises and 'chill pills'

VAN WADE

The Orange Leader

For almost 20 years working in the media business, I’ve always had a great deal of respect for all coaches. Their jobs are tedious and the hours they put in are mind-boggling.

You wouldn’t believe what athletic directors and head football coaches have to put up with on a daily basis.

Those folks are usually the highest paid on coaching staffs. In recent years, though, baseball and softball coaches should really make the same salary as some of the top “dawgs.†You think I’m kidding!

Football coaches and basketball coaches have caught their share of grief over the years but I never see coaches take more heat than baseball and softball coaches. That’s never been more evident than what has gone on in Orange County just over the last month or so and well, even years. I’ve seen some good ones pushed aside for this, that and another. It’s just to be expected at this point.

It’s hard to even remember the good old days when coaches actually stuck around the same place for more than two, three or four years. But heck, I can’t blame them.

Arguably, no coaches have to go through more political “junk†than those that run the show on the diamond. I honestly believe that. I’ve seen it first-hand. Some may disagree but when you see it up close and personal for so long, you can get a better picture of it. Kids come and go every four years and that’s all most parents see. Try it for almost 20 one time.

Since covering high school sports, I pat myself on the back every day that I dribbled and shot instead of trying to turn double plays.

I saw politics in the little league levels at an early age and knew I didn’t want to be a part of that madness. That was over 30 years ago, today it’s got to be even crazier. I probably don’t even want to know about it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking kids for playing what they love to play, I just wished more kids could do it with enjoyment instead of worrying what this parent may say, or that board member, president, vice president, treasurer, or Mickey Mouse and so on and so forth.

High school coaches have to be hard-nosed in these parts. I’ve never seen two sports with more coaches in the stands or critics within administrations then I’ve seen in recent years. To me, it would just take the fun out of it completely if I were a kiddo.

I’ve been to games over the years where fans have criticized coaches so bad, it would make my stomach sour. Yes, I’m even talking about two coaches that have recently even been enshrined in the Texas Coaches Baseball Hall of Fame in recent years. (Yes, I go back that far Chuck and Ronnie). You have to be tough-as-nails to battle through that on a yearly basis.

Softball games have been comical at times the last few years. I’ve seen parents call pitches and have actually seen them try to shift the outfield from the stands.

I’ve never seen so many coaches in my life but every time I go to a game only two or three are getting paid for it - the head coach and their assistants. Those folks don’t show up on Chemical Row or Bank of the Sabine or your delivery route to harrass you, do they? That would be a hoot!

Both games seem to have grown into “money†sports as well and on the high school level, that shows more and more each year and that’s a big concern.

So many kids are playing “select†ball and they’re playing year-around or they’re paying a nice sum of money for hitting and pitching lessons. I guess if parents are lucky enough to afford that, I guess that gives them a right to coach the high school varsity teams. NOT!

High school baseball and softball isn’t near as balanced as it used to be.

There are about four or five schools in the Golden Triangle alone that will likely never be a true success on the diamond because of economical reasons in which a lot of their kids can’t play the game year-around, which is unlike football, basketball, volleyball or track. With the economy going like it is, it’s only going to get worse. I’m sure many of you can name those handful of schools right off the top of your head.

Now that 4A is going to a ridiculous four-play team system next year, you can darn near name each one of them that will make the playoffs, you just don’t know what order. There has to be some drama.

Baseball may be political but softball is catching up fast and furious. It all doesn’t have to do with just parents, so parents don’t think I’m putting everything on your shoulders. It’s not like I feel that towards all of you, there are so many great ones out there that I truly have great respect for and have become super friends with over the years and have developed relationships that I hope will last forever.

Just look at Orange County’s best two softball programs to date - Little Cypress-Mauriceville and Bridge City. LC-M is two years removed from winning the 4A state title in 2006. The Lady Bears will be on their fifth head coach in seven years next year. Each one of them won games in their own special way and brought so many positives to the game but guess what, they’re gone.

The Bridge City Lady Cardinal program has had five coaches in about eight years. We know the Lady Cardinals have been dominant for years with high rankings and such and then there was that “little†89-game district winning streak they had.

For those two mighty programs, that’s pretty scary when you add up the math. It makes you really want to know about what’s going on inside “the loop†of both schools.

A couple excellent local coaches will not be leading their charges on their respective fields next season. It’s a shame, because both are excellent gentlemen that I’ve been blessed to have been associated with for so many years.

Both may have faults, heck, don’t we all, but they were respected by most of their kids for the most part and 90 percent of the parents as well. Yep, there is always that 10 percent or so. That’s what I’ve been hearing publicly from Day One about each. Way more positives than negatives.

Sometimes you just want to coach. You don’t want to worry about becoming Mr. or Miss Congeniality and who’s heart you might be breaking.

Sometimes things take place from what some people would call “witch hunting.â€

“Witch hunts†can start up at any time. They may brew for a couple years or they might crank up at any second. Sometimes it’s groups that get upset and the vendetta gets cranked up. In some situations it might take just a couple people that you get on the bad side of and that’s all it takes to get the ball rolling. As a coach, you have to put your best nine out there, no matter who little Johnny or Susie’s mother, daddy, grandpa or great uncle is. Sadly, that’s what usually gets a “mess†created. Sometimes, when you upset those types, you’re literally “up a creek without a paddle.†Sadly, some school officials over the years have leaned on that and that’s sad. That’s not the whole criteria on keeping coaches around but it has a lot to do with it.

It’s got to be tough when you reach a point when you go to work each day and are scrutinized for each little thing that you do. It makes you think, “Geez, am I going to get a frownie face on my report card today or a gold star.†You know, typical first-grade stuff.

Every minute, petty little things turn into one major bomb.That’s got to be a horrible situation to be in. From then on it’s like that old Merle Haggard song “Rolling down hill like a snowball headed for Hell.â€

I’ve heard the phrase in the last week of “What goes around comes back around.†How about not letting it come around at all and for everyone to get along.

We’ve had two “tough†calls in the last month, we’ve had them in the past and they will certainly continue down the road. Some folks will come in and win some games, go to the playoffs, win 25 games and move on because of politics.

Let’s hope one day, and I’m holding my breath, that politics will be left out of The National Pastime before it gets past all of us.

The game should be about the kids. It should be fun, it’s not life or death folks, ask the men and women over in Iraq about that and they’ll tell you and definitely think about that come Monday on Memorial Day.

We’ve recently named our Leader Coaches of the Year and many folks out there probably think that’s political as well.

Wahtever. That proof is in the pudding.

Our softball coach won nine of his last 10 District 22-4A games with the Lady Bears in perhaps the most rugged district in the state in 4A and had countless playoff seasons at Deweyville.

Our baseball coach went 13-1 in District 21-3A and led Bridge City to two state tournament appearances in five years and even took Buna to the tournament as well in the past. That’s more state appearances than Orange County’s two Hall of Fame Coaches.

I’ve often thought maybe diamond coaches should be athletic directors. It would be a nicer paycheck but those guys and gals have way too much on their plate to begin with, they might implode. I honestly respect diamond coaches more than anyone else in the coaching business. There’s not enough money in Fort Knox for me to step into their shoes.

Maybe I seem too concerned and if anyone has a similar or opposing point of view, feel free to write a Letter to the Editor at [email protected]. I would love to hear plenty of opinions, pro and con.

• Click to discuss this story with other readers on our forums.

Guest Bulldog

Interesting write up......

IMHO talking about what really can't be help nor changed will only bring up an endless debate.

I do agree that baseball and softball coaches have to deal with the most politics but most of them know before  they take there positions that it's a part of the game (sadly). Having to please so many people is a tuff thing to do.

AMEN!!! It's about time someone in the media speaks the truth for the rest of us who agree.  It is very unfortunate what the great men and women, who care so much about the kids, get the shaft from the so called "ones in charge."  You would think that as much as people bad mouth politics, our schools leaders wouldn't want to have the same done to themselves.  However, when you talk to them, they say it was for the best interest of the students.  That is pure CRAP.  Its about time we go back to the go old days of good competetion and the parents, fans and others keep their noses out of the coaches business and just be supporters from the stands.

Guest Bulldog

It is very unfortunate that this goes on in highschool. Its unfair to the kids who deserve to play and to the coaches for being pressured!

I agree.

It is very unfortunate that this goes on in highschool. Its unfair to the kids who deserve to play and to the coaches for being pressured!

utguy

Coaches from winning programs feel absolutley no pressure from parents to play the kids they play.  You may think so, but you would be wrong.  Coaches that win year in, year out, play the best kids with absolutly no regard for feelings on the other side of the fence.  The only pressure they feel is the pressure to win.  The pressure to win does not come from administration or AD, they couldn't care less.  The pressure to win comes from within.

I watched many, many varsity scrimmages and games this season, mainly 4A.  Local 3A, 4A, and 5A teams were doing good to put nine legitimate varsity players on the field.  Are you telling me that you think there were some legitimate varsity players on the bench on your side of the river?  I guarantee you there were not any on our side of the river and am fairly certain that there were none in Orange County either.

to be honest, everyone knows that when the coaches are putting up with "crap" its coming from the kid that isnt very good parents, and they have told him/her their whole life how good they are and keep lying to them, well its time to grow up and be real....your kid isnt getting ripped off, hes just not that good so get over it....brutal honesty

quote author=bearbooster link=topic=39182.msg388859#msg388859 date=1211905527]

We are not buying it utguy.

Sour grapes.

Our coach plays to win. He always has and always will.  Come up with a different reason why your boy did not get to play.

Im not bashing the coaches. Im stating that is sad that some of these coaches feel the pressure to start these kids whos parent are on the school board etc.

And im not even from little cypress.

being a coach takes more than knowledge of the particular sport, unfortunately a good and successful coach is also a politician. They must have a way to talk to the masses. Without a personality to mix with the people, a coach wont last long in high school ball. Thats just the way it is.

utguy

Coaches from winning programs feel absolutley no pressure from parents to play the kids they play.  You may think so, but you would be wrong.  Coaches that win year in, year out, play the best kids with absolutly no regard for feelings on the other side of the fence.  The only pressure they feel is the pressure to win.  The pressure to win does not come from administration or AD, they couldn't care less.  The pressure to win comes from within.

Not necessarily...might just depend on who those parents are.

Guest Orangeboy

I’ve never seen so many coaches in my life but every time I go to a game only two or three are getting paid for it - the head coach and their assistants. Those folks don’t show up on Chemical Row or Bank of the Sabine or your delivery route to harrass you, do they? That would be a hoot!

This is my favorite part. It would be funny to see a coach do this to a parent. Now that's something I would pay to see.

sorry bout it, but the best coaches around dont put up with the parents no matter who they are....you think coach stone puts up with the parents, no way, if a parent complains to him about things then lets see if that kid plays the next game, dont think so....parents are ridiculous if they are going to complain, stop living the dream through your kid, if he's not good enough then face the fact

Skills123,

Check your personal messages.

• 2 weeks later...

just occurred to me that it just might be the difference in the closeness and pace of the setting with baseball, softball vs. football. Parents typically or more involved in coaching diamond sports than football which makes it more tempting to keep coaching. Football has school organized programs from the 7th or 8th grade on up with a lot more coaching support (6-10 coaches vs. 1-2) than dia. spts. Although they start in the 9th grade in baseball, not many coaches to go around. There are some very good parent/little league,etc coaches out there and some of them have definite ego,etc.issues, but the HS coaches in this area or handed some pretty well coached players and I am not sure that all of them recognize how good they have it here from a talent stand point. I seem to remember an article about the Central HS softball team a couple of years ago where the coach said that some of her players did not know which hand to put the glove on when she started. If I remember correctly they ended up forfeiting some of there schedule before the year was out. Some of the parents have spent significant amounts of cash and time taking their children to camps and select tournaments. I know one particular coach named on this thread who seems to have the same answer for any one who questions him about what he is doing that goes something like I do not tell you how to do your job that puts bread on your table and you are not going to tell me how to do mine. OK, but my job does not involve his children nor does he contribute tax money that helps pay my salary. I have watched for the last several years as several talented players that had good heads on their shoulders and good attitudes walk away because they did not want to play for this coach. I know a coach has to have a my way or the highway mentality to a certain degree to  keep from having chaos, but I think a good coach can keep a balance and get better results all the way around. With that said I do not think that I have the make up to be a 'good coach', but I am not making a living at it either.

My son does not play HS sports so this does not directly affect us. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83