*PN-G vs. Vidor/PN-G Wins 5-2...NOW IN 1ST PLACE!*

unbelievable game!!  There were few dull moments in this one.  PNG hits the ball but it has eyes quite often.  Vidor has to be the toughest hitting squad around.  I love games like that but ya know the ulcers don't  ;D.

Great game guys and like I told a couple of you, don't ever let a game dictate who you are as a player or a team. Take care of business next week and we all know you will.  We will meet up again this year I am sure. 

Tribe takes hold of first place

By Cody Pastorella

The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES — In what was probably his biggest at-bat this season, Port Neches-Groves' senior Eric Harrington stepped into the batter's box, trailing 2-0 in the fifth inning with the bases loaded to the Vidor Pirates — a team that beat the Indians 4-3 on a walk-off homer earlier this season.

Just to build the pressure, PN-G and Vidor were tied on top of District 22-4A at 9-2 going into Friday night's matchup.

Harrington felt no pressure, however, as he singled to left field to bring in Jerin Spikes. That score cut the game to 2-1, and from that point on, there would be no stopping the senior right-hander who has signed to play baseball with Lamar University.

The Tribe went on to score four more runs that inning, claiming a 5-2 win over the Pirates.

And with the win, PN-G takes hold of first place with just two games to go. The Indians are now 18-5 overall and 10-2 in district play.

After Harrington's single cut the game to 2-1, Blake Reyenga rolled a grounder to third base but a throwing error allowed two more Indians to score, giving the Tribe a 3-2 advantage with no body out.

Amir Jalali scored from second base on the error. He drew a walk as the third batter in the inning and it was his run that proved to be the difference.

The Tribe added two more runs in the inning, however. Harrington scored off a sacrifice fly from the bat of Jon Carnahan. Carnahan's fly ball also moved Reyenga to third base, which set up Kane Benoit for a sacrifice fly as well. 

The Indians had just three hits in the ball game. The scored two earned runs. The real difference maker was the two errors in the fifth inning. Vidor had six total errors to PN-G's one.

"The fifth inning was huge," said PN-G head coach Jay Stone. "Not only did we finally start putting the ball in play, we scored some runs, took a lead and added some cushion. They did a really good job keeping us off-balance and they hit the ball really hard. We just finally started putting the ball in play and doing the things we talked about doing all week."

Harrington picked up his fifth win of the season by tossing all seven innings, allowing two unearned runs on seven hits. He is now 5-0 with two saves.

The outs did not come as easy as they sometimes do for Harrington, however.

Vidor bullied the Tribe's ace in the second inning, putting together three of its seven hits and scoring two unearned runs.

With one out Vidor's Trae Hester smacked a double in the left-field gap. A fielder's choice moved Hester to third base and then with two outs Larry Williams reached on a throwing error, which brought in Hester.

Williams made it around after Michael Hester and Will Fontnow each singled.

Guest gladiator2

It was a good ball game to see and Vidor really came out swinging the sticks. In the 5th inning I thought that pressure started setting in with a basehit and a BB and then a really tough play for the 3rd baseman turned into 2 runs. That was costly as well as the error that PNG made with 2 outs led to the 2 runs that Vidor recieved. The score should have been 0-0 in the bottom of the 5th but this is the game of baseball and we are dealing with young men and they are going to make mistakes. But after you make a mistake, it's all about how you respond and I thought that PNG's player came up with a big RBI in the 5th inning as he has been doing all season. I thought that the freshman SS (Stone) made a few big plays in the field. Coach Stone has found the right combination throughout the IF and OF and they have been playing solid defense for a very young team. I thought that Vidor really hit the ball well, Fontnow was on fire 3-4 and I believe Hester had 2 hits but everytime they had something going on, the defense really stepped up or Harrington would get a K. Hester really pitched a great game until the 5th, he had a very low pitch count due to our hitter's getting a little too impatient trying to make something happen, it seemed like everytime we hit it hard it was right at someone. I thought both teams really played a good game. I believe that both teams should do well in the playoffs as long as other pitchers step up for both teams. I know PNG has plenty of good pitcher's that will be ready to go. We have not seen a lot of them in district but several of them have pitched in a lot of big games in select and summer ball. With Harrington, Benoit, Todd, Spikes, and Wood's we should be ready to go deep as long as we can get the bats hot again. I know Vidor has a few of their own and should be fine. I predicted the score to be 5-1, so I was only 1 run off. I thought that our student section really gave us the home field advantage that we needed. Now everyone has done a lot of talking towards each team and now the best thing that both teams can do is start rooting for the teams in our district to make it as for as they can in the playoffs. Kyle Green has made a world of difference over there, I would not be surprised if other schools start trying to pry him away (He's a hell of a coach). Coach Stone's history speaks for itself, alot people disagree with his disciplinarian style but every year he is in the playoff's. I still laugh about the parents of a kid that I really loved to death, they use to call me mini-Stone when I was coaching and they were great parents. All that I'm saying is I really like his style and hope that he is not retired by the time my son makes it to HS, my son plays for a coach that is getting him ready for Stone(LOL!!). Good Luck to both teams from here on out and lets forget about all of the other garbage and support our teams from our district. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

Vidor has Ozen and LC-M, Need at least 1 win.

OK tell me if I am correct here. If Nederland looses today we are guaranteed to go to the playoffs. The way I see it the worst we could have is 5 losses. Ans that is the best that Nederland can do if they loosed today. Since we beat them twice we are in, Correct?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder