******MUST READ THREAD******

This is a must read thread for all the WOS faithful!!!! It has been brought to my attention that Shirley Martin(The WOS schoolboard trustee I have posted about in the past) apparently has been trying to gather, or campaign followers to attend the Monday night board meeting to oppose the renaming of Mustang Stadium to Dan R Hooks Stadium. This is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. The lady was in Kroger's trying to get people to go to the meeting and oppose the name change. I am trying to extend a most welcomed invitation to whomever wants to meet me and many other WOS faithful to shut this lady up once and for good. I believe the board meeting is at 7 pm Monday the 31st of July. I will find out for sure and update this topic with the time and place.I will re quote what she has been saying.

Member Shirley Martin spoke against the move saying, "Why would we want to name a stadium after a man who has never lived in our district, never paid taxes in our district, and didn't even think enough of the district to send his kids here?"

Board member Shirley Martin voiced opposition to the proposal, saying that other community figures deserve the recognition and should be considered as well —especially since Hooks does not reside in the district. Hooks is a resident of Bridge City and his children all attended school there.

School board member Shirley Martin is concerned about the process for renaming the stadium.

She says the community has not had a chance to offer its opinion.

"I don't have a problem with Mr. Hooks," said Martin. "But he's done nothing different than any coach that gets paid. I don't know a coach that would wake up and say 'give me a job because I want a losing team.'"

If you respect what Coach Hooks has done for the SCHOOL and the COMMUNITY, then BE AT THE MEETING!!! 8)

Lets show this moronic lady that we wont stand for this. :!:

are there any procedures on being able to speak at the meeting and if so please post the or pm me. or better yet i think i have a few contacts and ill find out.

Im not totaly sure of the rules, but of what I hear, GoStangs likes to fight the woman to death. The way he is, we may not have to talk at all. One thing I wanted to do, was for all of us to wear WOS football shirts!!!

thanks i just got off the phone with one of the trustees and found out all i need to do. best to get there about 5:30 or so as they expect a big crowd. you must sign in and check the box that lets them know you would like to make a comment. I will not be arguing with anyone just voicing my comments in favor of the renaming. I would hope to see a lot of supporters of the renaming at this meeting as they will be taking a vote.

I would appreciate any comments you would like me to bring to light at the meeting. just pm me or make a post.

Guest GoStangs

There are some rules, but it's pretty much common sense issues -- don't call people names (you may not even be allowed to use anyone's name in a negative context during your speech), limit the discussion to 5 minutes (if there are a lot of people, they will ask the audience to limit the number of people who will talk on the topic), and a few other minor things they'll explain at the meeting.

The MOST IMPORTANT THING: Get there early to put your name on the list of people who wish to address the board. If you don't get your name on the list, you can't speak!

According to the WOCCISD website (www.woccisd.net), the board meeting will begin at 6:00 on Monday, July 31 (my birthday). The meetings are held at the administration building behind what I used to call East Campus near what used to be Wells Fargo bank (on 15th street and Green).

I think the vote is going to pass without much issue, so, as emotional as this may be for some people, let's try to hold our head up high and act civilized. Ms. Martin is a joke and everyone knows it -- even she knows it -- so let's have a good laugh at her expense. Who knows? Perhaps the board can give me a pretty cool birthday present by naming my favorite stadium in honor of one of the greatest coaches in Texas! :)

There are some rules' date=' but it's pretty much common sense issues -- don't call people names (you may not even be allowed to use anyone's name in a negative context during your speech), limit the discussion to 5 minutes (if there are a lot of people, they will ask the audience to limit the number of people who will talk on the topic), and a few other minor things they'll explain at the meeting.

The MOST IMPORTANT THING: Get there early to put your name on the list of people who wish to address the board. If you don't get your name on the list, you can't speak!

According to the WOCCISD website (www.woccisd.net), the board meeting will begin at 6:00 on Monday, July 31 (my birthday). The meetings are held at the administration building behind what I used to call East Campus near what used to be Wells Fargo bank (on 15th street and Green).

I think the vote is going to pass without much issue, so, as emotional as this may be for some people, let's try to hold our head up high and act civilized. Ms. Martin is a joke and everyone knows it -- even she knows it -- so let's have a good laugh at her expense. Who knows? Perhaps the board can give me a pretty cool birthday present by naming my favorite stadium in honor of one of the greatest coaches in Texas! :)[/quote']I'll second that. All in favor say I. I :D

As posted by WOSgrad on www.wo-s.com

TO COUNTY JUDGE THIBODEAUX, THE ORANGE COUNTY COMMISSIONERS' COURT, THE MAYORS OF WEST ORANGE, ORANGE AND PINEHURST AND THOSE RESPECTIVE CITY COUNCILS:

I wanted to alert you to a lunatic who is currently disguising herself a member of the Board of Trustees of the West Orange-Cove Consolidated Independent School District. She goes by the name of Shirley Martin. She may not be armed, but she should be considered dangerous. In fact, Ms. Martin has a previous conviction of assault by threat in which she threatened to "stomp a mudhole in the *** of a fellow board member after she was stopped from attempting to violate state law at that meeting. Of course that was newsworthy not only for the events, but for the fact that she actually decided to show up which is a rarity in this subject's case.

And just recently, this lunatic, again let out of her cage, made uttterances that indicate that she is not taking her medication. She had the audacity to not only oppose the renaming of the school football stadium after the current coach whose accomplishments are so-oft quoted that they need not be repeated here, but to originally do so pointing to the fact that the coach is not a resident of the school district in which he coached. Hoping to bolster her claim to a local media source, she proclaimed with precise idiocy that the coach had really done nothing that any other coach has done and that the community should be able to weigh in on this.

SO TO YOU, THE LEARNED AND SANE SHEPHERDS OF THE COMMUNITIES WHICH MAKE UP THE SCHOOL DISTRICT, I urge of you with as much speed as is allowed by your respective rules of procedure to enter on your agenda for your next scheduled sessions a proclaimation supporting the renaming of Mustang Stadium in West Orange, Texas to Dan R. Hooks Stadium, calling on the WOCCISD to do so! LET THE COMMUNITIES BE HEARD!!!!!

Also posted by WOSgrad on www.wo-s.com

Where does Shirley Martin get off saying that Coach Hooks has to have been a taxpayer in order to have the stadium renamed in his honor? I know of no requirement that a teacher has to reside within the WO-C district boundaries and must send their children to WO-C schools. He has lead the athletic program for over 25 years now and has lead WO-S to a number of accomplishments. As a result of those accomplishments, he reportedly had the opportunity to go elsewhere... probably for a heck of a lot more money than the district was paying...but chose to remain. He remained and provided the arena for several children to go to college who may not have had the opportunity otherwise.

For a relatively small gesture of appreciation such as changing the name of the stadium to honor him to be opposed by what amounts to little more than a residency issue seems ridiculous. But then again, we are talking about Shirley Martin here!!!!

Guest bulldogbark

well yall do some stompen at the meeting, I hope everything works out right...just goes to show you how people can let power go to their heads...Yall make sure you vote her out :twisted:

Guest GoStangs

What if they called it Dan Hooks Field at Mustang Stadium...just a thought...that kinda crazy stuff seems to be happening alot nowadays

This is a personal thing with Ms. Martin -- it has nothing to do with the actual stadium; just her dislike of high school sports, in general, and since Coach Hooks is an icon, he's one of her favorite targets.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    xyurnnsw
    Newest Member
    xyurnnsw