Jordan From Dallas Kimball To Be The New HC At LaMarque

Vincent withdraws name from La Marque search

By Joshua Buckley

The Daily News

Published April 3, 2008

LA MARQUE — The search for the next La Marque High School athletic director and head football coach took a dramatic turn on Wednesday, when Flower Mound defensive coordinator Chuck Vincent withdrew his name from consideration hours after being offered the position.

Vincent, the defensive coordinator for the Cougars in 2006, said La Marque superintendent Ecomet Burley offered him the job Wednesday morning. But Burley called Vincent back later in the afternoon to tell him that he was putting the decision on hold.

When Burley told Vincent he was pulling back the job offer to think about the decision for a little longer, Vincent elected to take his name out of the running.

“It is pretty disappointing,†Vincent said. “I was ready to take my new defensive coordinator and my wife down to La Marque on Friday. Then he called me back and told me he had to do some more research.

“I said, ‘Timeout.’ I’m not going to do this if he’s going to be half-hearted about it. If he’s that way now, what’s it going to be like the first time he doesn’t like something that happens on the football field? At that point, I told him I was taking my name out of the running.â€

Burley could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

Vincent is the second candidate to remove his name from the La Marque coaching search. Nederland head coach Larry Neumann pulled out of the running Tuesday.

In a report in Wednesday’s Port Arthur News, Neumann said he elected to stay at Nederland after the superintendent promised to raise his base salary from $78,000 to about $92,000 a year.

The three other finalists for the position are Dallas Kimball head coach Darrell Jordan, Aldine Nimitz head coach David Suggs and Grapevine head coach Gary Mullins.

La Marque fans were familiar with Vincent from his stint as the Cougars’ defensive coordinator in 2006. La Marque won the state championship that season, in large part because of Vincent’s aggressive defense, which allowed an average of 10 points in the final 12 games of the season.

Vincent has been an assistant football coach for 21 years, including defensive coordinator at Marcus this past season.

Many La Marque fans were hopeful Vincent would get the job based on his performance at La Marque in ’06. But Vincent said he was certain that Neumann was the leading candidate for the vacancy after the list of 34 applicants was narrowed to five finalists.

Vincent said Neumann dropping out prompted Burley to call him and offer the job. However, Vincent said Burley put the search on hold, because he had concerns about the coach’s emphasis on teaching.

“He told me that he remembered a P.E. class I was teaching last year and had concerns about me putting teaching first,†Vincent said. “I told him that I thought teachers had to be teachers first before athletics. I had told the people I intended to bring for my staff the same thing — the classroom duties come before anything else.

“I’m not sure what made (Burley) change his mind. I don’t think this was handled the right way at all.â€

Vincent will remain on the staff for Erwin, who left La Marque for Flower Mound Marcus after winning the Class 4A, Division II state championship in 2006.

“After I told Burley I was taking my name out of the running, I walked back in to the athletic office and told Coach Erwin that I’m a Marauder,†Vincent said. “I’m here now, and it’s a done deal.

“All I can tell the La Marque fans is good luck.â€

Vincent said he expected Jordan to be offered the job later that day.

Jordan took over as head coach at Kimball in 2001. In his seven years there, he has a 52-29 record and has advanced to the playoffs each season.

La Marque is searching for a new athletic director and head football coach after Chris Jones resigned from those positions Feb. 15, after just one season with the team. The Cougars went 9-3 under Jones and failed to advance to the regional finals for the first time in six years.

The next La Marque school board meeting is set for April 10. Any hire for the position will likely be made at that meeting.

I think it is a real mean spirited thing to do, he is a person with a Professional leadership role. He most of all knows you do not toy with people's lives like this. I think he should be held accountable for his actions. Kudos to the Coach for taking his name out of the running. He sounds like a MAN OF HONOR, unlike this Burley Character.

I think it is a real mean spirited thing to do, he is a person with a Professional leadership role. He most of all knows you do not toy with people's lives like this. I think he should be held accountable for his actions. Kudos to the Coach for taking his name out of the running. He sounds like a MAN OF HONOR, unlike this Burley Character.

....grabbing popcorn.......

Burley picks new head football coach, AD

By Joshua Buckley

The Daily News

Published April 4, 2008

LA MARQUE — La Marque Superintendent Ecomet Burley has decided on the next athletic director and head football coach of La Marque High School.

In a phone interview with The Daily News on Thursday afternoon, Burley said he has offered the job to one of the finalists and will make a recommendation for hire at the next La Marque Independent School District board meeting April 10.

Burley said Aldine Nimitz head coach David Suggs withdrew his name from consideration for the job, meaning the recommendation for the position will be one of the two remaining finalists — Dallas Kimball head coach Darrell Jordan or Grapevine head coach Gary Mullins.

Burley did not disclose which candidate he was recommending to the board, but his comments indicated the choice is likely going to be Jordan.

Jordan took over as head coach at Kimball in 2001. In his seven seasons there, he has a 52-29 record and has advanced to the playoffs each year.

“I think (the candidate’s) record speaks for itself,†Burley said. “He has proven he can win and can win in a tough area. He’ll do a great job, and I have no concerns.â€

Burley also discussed the situation regarding Flower Mound defensive coordinator Chuck Vincent. Vincent told The Daily News on Wednesday he was withdrawing his name from consideration after Burley offered him the job and then changed his mind a few hours later.

Burley confirmed he did offer the job to Vincent, a defensive coordinator at La Marque during the 2006 state championship season, but said he started to rethink his decision after Vincent presented a number of demands that dealt with family, housing, salary and schedules for coaches.

“He wanted a lot,†Burley said. “We were able to meet most of those except one or two, but it caused me to sit back and think about it some more.â€

Burley said upon further thought, he was reminded of an incident in 2006, when he saw “60 to 70 kids literally sitting and not doing anything†in a P.E. class Vincent was in charge of.

“I called Coach Vincent back and reminded him that I had a problem with that and did not want coaches with that attitude,†Burley said. “He assured me that wouldn’t be the case but said if I didn’t have faith or trust in him, then we should just nix the deal.â€

Vincent said he was just doing as he was told in the P.E. class and insisted he was “education first.†But sensing doubt in Burley’s decision, Vincent chose to withdraw from the search.

“It was one of those deals where we both agreed it was not going to work out, and we let it end at that,†Burley said.

So what does Burley say to La Marque fans concerned the Cougars aren’t getting the superintendent’s first, or even second, choice?

“The person I’m going with was high on my list,†he said. “Once I cleared all his references and talked to some more people, any fears I had about him were put to rest. I’m not settling for someone — he is an outstanding person, and he’ll do a great job.â€

How does someone this DUMB become a super?  "Any of my fears about him"?  How can you talk about personnel matters in the newspaper?

Same way we do on message boards.......I dont see anything wrong with the statement.....if you were in a position to hire someone and pay them 90k plus a year for a job wouldnt you want to make sure you have the right person.......and not have any reservations about your decision.....

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

True but i've heard nothing but bad things about the hiring process. And i can see why those Coaches pulled out. On Coaches sites across the State it's also being talked about.

True but i've heard nothing but bad things about the hiring process. And i can see why those Coaches pulled out. On Coaches sites across the State it's also being talked about.

I would like to know the bad things you have heard.....PM me if you have to.......

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

The bad things i meant was just the way he has handled things and what was said between he and Vincent in the article.

The bad things i meant was just the way he has handled things and what was said between he and Vincent in the article.

I didnt get anything bad from the article......aside from two of Vincent's "demands" not being met.....I'm still trying to find out how he handled things badly....

Yeah, but there are laws related to talking about personnel matters in school districts.  That is why the school board must go to closed session to discuss them!

True there are laws related to discussing personnel matters at any place of employment....there are rules that organizations enact themselves that prohibit the discussion on personnel matters......He didnt really say anything in the article that was not common knowledge.....if he discussed the health issues of the coach or something along those lines it would be different........are your school board sessions closed?

Yeah, but there are laws related to talking about personnel matters in school districts.  That is why the school board must go to closed session to discuss them!

True there are laws related to discussing personnel matters at any place of employment....there are rules that organizations enact themselves that prohibit the discussion on personnel matters......He didnt really say anything in the article that was not common knowledge.....if he discussed the health issues of the coach or something along those lines it would be different........are your school board sessions closed?

I think he's talking about the board members' closed session after the general meeting.

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

I didnt get anything bad from the article......aside from two of Vincent's "demands" not being met.....I'm still trying to find out how he handled things badly....

Here's a link to read what some Coaches are saying about it.

http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=421&tid=112190213&mid=112190213&sid=984&style=2

I think he's talking about the board members' closed session after the general meeting.

Gotcha

Jordan may not have been the original choice, but he will fit in fine with La Marque.  Coach Jordan was a former assistant at Lufkin back in the late 90's and early 2000's before going to Kimball. He really turned that Dallas Kimball program around, but I think he had limited administrative support.  I hope the same doesn't happen at La Marque as evident from previous post.  He had D-I signees almost every year I believe so he gets his kids to the next level.  He is a disciplinarian i'm sure he will  probably bring in some good assistants if they come with him, or hire some very qualified quality people.  He may have been the sleeper in the bunch, but I think La Marque football may have found a diamond in the rough.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami