Lamar Posted Job Opening For Head Football Coach, Thoughts of who it should be.

Guest abovetherim

Position# 497550  Department Athletics 

Position Title Head Football Coach  Salary Commensurate With Experience 

Fac/Staff Staff  Opening Date 3/10/2008 

FT/PT Full Time  Closing Date 3/21/2008

How To Apply

Acceptance of applications will end on March 21, 2008 and then a review of the applicants will begin. Interested applicants should send a letter of application, resume, and three references to: Lamar University; Human Resources; P.O. Box 11127; Beaumont, TX 77710. Lamar University is an EEO/ AA employer.

Duties

Lamar University is seeking applications for the position of Head Football Coach. The position is responsible for directing and supervising the operation of the Football program within the rules and regulations of Lamar University, the Southland Conference and the NCAA. Strict adherence to established NCAA, Southland Conference, Lamar University and Texas State University System rules and regulations is required. The position requires a commitment to recruiting and graduating student-athletes, to running a program within budget guidelines, and to actively involve themselves in the community for fundraising purposes. The position reports directly to the Athletics Director or designee. Duties include but are not limited to: scheduling, recruiting, planning, organizing, and budgeting while promoting Lamar University Athletics. Responsible for team performance, student academic performance and eligibility. Other administrative duties as assigned by the Athletics Director. Be available to the news media on appropriate occasions. Recognize and promote the best interest of the student-athletes both academically and athletically - encouraging each to graduate. Public information should be provided through the Sports Information Office in accordance with policies mutually agreed upon by the coaches, the Director of Athletics and Lamar University.  Qualifications

Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred. Collegiate coaching experience required. Must have knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations. Work cooperatively with staff members and supervisors. Come to work in a timely and predictable manner. Able to tolerate constructive criticism and stressful situations. Able to tolerate flexible work hours - nights and weekends. Official transcripts are required at the time of employment. This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215. 

http://dept.lamar.edu/humanresources/posdetail.asp?eid=291

Guest abovetherim

I say since they are only leaving the position posted for 10 days they have a good idea who they want to hire. Heck, they may have a coach hired before summer. It doesn't take 3 months to conduct interviews. The last day to apply is March 21 so I would assume interviews would occur within a month.

I bet we end up with a Head Coach who has already been mentioned on this forum.  8)

Guest abovetherim

Isn't this public information?  We should know in a few weeks who's applied for the job.

Yep, you are correct Coachacola but I'm really curious. Probably have to wait till this is made public. There isn't anyone giving out football information that I know.

I do know Billy Tubbs isn't the only one to make this decision. He'll definitely make the final call with Dr. Simmons but there will be a committee for this hire. It is too big and important for one man to make this decision. Lamar is doing it the right way this time!

With the job only being open for ten days (I believe that is the minimum that they can do) they already have their finalist chosen. And they know that who they are looking at is interested as well. The new head coach will be in place by the end of the school year. Heck he is going to have to resign from his job at the high school he is at now in time for them to find a new coach.

Guest baseball25

It should be Larry haynes, Offensive Guru, Loves the spread offense,word has it todd dodge can't hold his jock. Has won at every school he's been tooooooo.....His qb's and WR sets records each and every year. Plus All-american QB at Lamar.......

Guest coachacola

How in the world could a high school coach be successful in starting up a college football program?  It's hard enough for a high school coach to take over a college program (see Todd Dodge at UNT), but to start one from the ground up?  Billy Tubbs didn't even hire a high school soccer coach to start up the soccer program, so why would he hire a high school coach for the highly-visible football program? 

Guest baseball25

Highly visble fiitball program??There not even on the map, they are more like casper the ghost. Todd Dodge is going to be fine my man it was his first yr. Look at Art briles what he did to the houston program. Larry Haynes is just like them are even better. He had his chance to go to the college level but decided to coach his son, so don't tell me he isn't qualified.

Guest coachacola
There not even on the map, they are more like casper the ghost.

That's because they haven't had a football program since 1989.  A big reason for bringing back football is to make Lamar more visible and to bring in more students.

Todd Dodge is going to be fine my man it was his first yr.

I didn't say he couldn't coach.  I said there's an adjustment period for high school coaches.  Lamar doesn't have the luxury of waiting for a high school coach to adjust to the college level.

He had his chance to go to the college level but decided to coach his son, so don't tell me he isn't qualified.

Like Todd Dodge, I never said he wasn't qualified to coach.  I was wondering how a high school coach can start a college football program.  There's a lot more to it than just coaching.  Lamar will be spending millions of dollars to start up the football program, they won't be hiring a high school coach.

I say since they are only leaving the position posted for 10 days they have a good idea who they want to hire. Heck, they may have a coach hired before summer. It doesn't take 3 months to conduct interviews. The last day to apply is March 21 so I would assume interviews would occur within a month.

ABR -- may want to check Texas posting regulations as it regards to certain jobs...while I can not quote it, I think certain jobs must be posted 10 days. Does not mean they have to be 'closed', but they must be posted 10 days before a hire is made...

Position# 497550  Department Athletics 

Position Title Head Football Coach  Salary Commensurate With Experience 

Fac/Staff Staff  Opening Date 3/10/2008 

FT/PT Full Time  Closing Date 3/21/2008

How To Apply

Qualifications

Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred. Collegiate coaching experience required. Must have knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations. Work cooperatively with staff members and supervisors. Come to work in a timely and predictable manner. Able to tolerate constructive criticism and stressful situations. Able to tolerate flexible work hours - nights and weekends. Official transcripts are required at the time of employment. This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215. 

This is the hidden content, please

Guest abovetherim

I believe I gave proper credit when posting the information. It was pretty much the same as KFDM posted on their site. As for as thinking Lamar is going to hire a HS school coach to start the program, you guys need to think about it a little longer.

Larry Haynes, he was my QB/WR coach in HS. Love the guy but no way is he going to jump start this program.

I'd think he would be a great OC or QB coach at the college level but that is it. Same can be said for Stump, Nuemann, or any other HS coach. It isn't going to happen. I think a number of assistants may come from the HS ranks but not the Head Coach.

Texas Terror, you are probably right about the other part of your statement. I don't see Lamar hiring a coach this month.

There not even on the map, they are more like casper the ghost.

That's because they haven't had a football program since 1989.  A big reason for bringing back football is to make Lamar more visible and to bring in more students.

Todd Dodge is going to be fine my man it was his first yr.

I didn't say he couldn't coach.  I said there's an adjustment period for high school coaches.  Lamar doesn't have the luxury of waiting for a high school coach to adjust to the college level.

He had his chance to go to the college level but decided to coach his son, so don't tell me he isn't qualified.

Like Todd Dodge, I never said he wasn't qualified to coach.  I was wondering how a high school coach can start a college football program.  There's a lot more to it than just coaching.  Lamar will be spending millions of dollars to start up the football program, they won't be hiring a high school coach.

The job posting specifically states "Collegiate coaching experience required."  Therefore, I think we can all quit speculating about all the high school coaches' names that have come up.

Guest baseball25

If haynes WANTED the job then he would get it. All the other coaches u name around this area do not compare to him. By the way above the rim when was he your coach?? His offensive scheme is different these days thats why PNG and all these others HS coaches want him to come talk to them about his offense.....

Guest abovetherim

Dude, I know Larry Haynes. I played for Larry Haynes. He is a good HS coach and was a great QB at Lamar. But, he will not be the next HC at Lamar if he wanted the position or not.

If you don't believe I played for Larry Haynes PM Cooper. Ask him about what I've said about Larry Haynes.

Good man, nice person and was a great QB at Lamar. He had a rocket for an arm. He could throw the ball 70 yards and Coach Haynes is only about 5'11 maybe 6'0.

He knows football but starting a program from scratch will take more than knowledge of the game or being a former great athlete at Lamar.

Sorry, he will not be the next head coach.

To answer your question directly, Coach Haynes was the QB/WR coach at Bridge City. He later left Bridge City and I transferred to LC-M.

Guest coachacola

There not going to get a Div 1 guy come on.....they better spend millions if they want that and they don't have it........

Why won't they get a Div 1 guy?  Lamar's starting a Div 1 team at the FCS level.  They are not going after a Div 1 BCS-level coach.

There not going to get a Div 1 guy come on.....they better spend millions if they want that and they don't have it........

Maybe a former big namer is going to come in... Larry Coker, R.C. Slocum?

Both of those Coaches led their teams to undefeated seasons in FBS... now i'm not saying it will be one of these 2 but i know Billy has had conversations with some big name people.

Guest baseball25

Above the rim he coach you what 18 yrs ago...........As a head coach the guy has two losing season as 17 yrs as heach coach........had two winning seasons at lumberton so that should tell you alot........The guy had the OC job at North Texas if he wanted but didn't take so don't tell me he can't be a head coach at the college level......He's a offensive Guru......Lamar isn't going to get a big name guy there going to be Div 1AA.....

Guest abovetherim

Above the rim he coach you what 18 yrs ago...........As a head coach the guy has two losing season as 17 yrs as heach coach........had two winning seasons at lumberton so that should tell you alot........The guy had the OC job at North Texas if he wanted but didn't take so don't tell me he can't be a head coach at the college level......He's a offensive Guru......Lamar isn't going to get a big name guy there going to be Div 1AA.....

It was more like 25 years ago. I've follow Coach Haynes career and he has done well. You seem pretty sure of your statements and beliefs. I'm very sure of mine. I think to continue this debate would just show insecurity on my part and honestly I'm comfortable with the knowledge I have regarding Lamar University athletics. I feel no need to try to convince you otherwise. Guess we'll see in the not too distant future who was right.

You act like a know it all yet you seem to know NOTHING about Lamar... take your crap to another board why don't you.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124

• So buddy is the OC and AD and you have a head football coach interesting 
    • FBC transfer most likely will. He’s already been on several recruiting visits and has been looking decent on the camp circuit for only being a freshman. I don’t think his family will let him sit past this year though.   JV kid is decent but he’s not really anybody I think you want to rely on competing against good teams with. He has some moxie but he’s smallish and doesn’t have a lot of arm talent. I think he would stay and be a backup no matter what or switch positions if the FBC kid stays. 
    • Oh an institution can move away from God, and the USA is running away from God.  I am not trying to chase you off - this is a free site.  I just wish people would be more open to alternative view points.  The devil wants to sow division.  Nice to hear you admit that God is love.  I generally try to stay off this side of the site - would much rather talk baseball and small town sports.
    • I guess you heard wrong? All of the sophomore studs he grew up with are on varsity and several played great in the Spring game, 4/5 will start and the others are in the two deep. Only kid I heard about going to Dayton is the receiver that left to go to North Shore and he hasn’t even been playing football. Leaving was what he felt was best for his kid, sometimes you have to make those choices. My son would’ve left last year too if he could’ve gotten eligible, doesn’t mean I would’ve liked Crosby less.  
    • It’s always funny to me when present day republicans start talking about what 19th century republicans did, because you’re absolutely right.  Point it out and they get mad, though.  And I vote Republican 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Topics