Football Schedule - Year One

Since this Lamar board is hopping and apparently, I've been clued in that a few of you like to talk about the pigskin sport, what are your realistic expectations for your first schedule as a football school? Keep in mind that you will be Independent, though one would assume the SLC would do their part in helping you guys out in filling the slate.

Here's a glance at Southeastern La. and their schedule in year one (please note I am referring to it as I-AA as that's what it was then):

Home vs Ark-Monticello (Div II)

Home vs Lambuth (NAIA)

Road vs Henderson St (Div II)

Road vs Troy (Transitioning from Div I-AA to I-A)

Road vs Texas State - San Marcos (I-AA)

Home vs McNeese State (I-AA)

Road at Northwestern State (I-AA)

Home vs Webber International (NAIA)

Road vs St. Mary's (I-AA -- now a defunct program)

Road vs Alcorn State (I-AA)

Home vs Jacksonville (I-AA non-scholarship)

Home vs Prairie View A&M (I-AA)

Six home games in the opening season. That was one of those 12-game years. They did go on the road to a Div II (same Div II that the SWAC's Ark-Pine Bluff is going on the road to this year). The rest of the slate was pretty good. Started out with teams they could get wins against.

Old Dominion, another team that is starting football is beginning with teams that are low scholarships (NEC), give grant-in-aids (Patriot League) or no scholarships (Pioneer, the leftovers from the MAAC).

So, what do you guys think? Also, what year do you want in the SLC?

Guest abovetherim

Man, I'm not even touching the schedule thing. I can only go by the facts as I know them to this point. Dr. Simmons and Coach Tubbs have stated Lamar University will start conference play in 2011. Of course, we are jumping a few hurlers here. However, I'm very confident we'll be playing in the SLC, FCS football (formerly I-AA) in 2011.

Head Coach will be hired sometime this summer.

Man, I'm not even touching the schedule thing. I can only go by the facts as I know them to this point. Dr. Simmons and Coach Tubbs have stated Lamar University will start conference play in 2011. Of course, we are jumping a few hurlers here. However, I'm very confident we'll be playing in the SLC, FCS football (formerly I-AA) in 2011.

Must say that I have been confused about Southeastern La. versus Lamar in how they started up. Same process in place too that you would be going through.

They did not get into the SLC until year three. This is why I'd assume that Lamar would do the same thing, but I've seen the same things from your folks as you posted -- conference play in 2011.

Guest abovetherim

TT, if I'm correct SE Louisiana wanted $5 million in community support to revive their football program. They didn't have a student sports fee to assist in their effort to resume the football program. I haven't stated this before and some may feel I have withheld information. (I have as requested) But the administration at Lamar has a ballpark figure in pledges they will get to resume football and it is more than triple the figure SE Louisiana wanted. Actually, it's closer to 5 times the amount SE Louisiana needed. That stated, remember Lamar will also need to build a soccer and softball stadiums.

So the reason Lamar will start SLC play sooner than SE Louisiana did is really simple. 1. We have their model for doing it. SE Louisiana didn't really have another SLC school to model. 2. The student referendum which was approved by the TSUS Board of Regents that will allow a student sports fee of $8.75 per fall and spring semesters and $4.50 per summer sessions. 3. The private sector will donate a lot more than $5 million to renovate/build our facilities.  

:D UNLV, you are something else.  :D

TT, if I'm correct SE Louisiana wanted $5 million in community support to revive their football program. They didn't have a student sports fee to assist in their effort to resume the football program. I haven't stated this before and some may feel I have withheld information. (I have as requested) But the administration at Lamar has a ballpark figure in pledges they will get to resume football and it is more than triple the figure SE Louisiana wanted. Actually, it's closer to 5 times the amount SE Louisiana needed. That stated, remember Lamar will also need to build a soccer and softball stadiums.

So the reason Lamar will start SLC play sooner than SE Louisiana did is really simple. 1. We have their model for doing it. SE Louisiana didn't really have another SLC school to model. 2. The student referendum which was approved by the TSUS Board of Regents that will allow a student sports fee of $8.75 per fall and spring semesters and $4.50 per summer sessions. 3. The private sector will donate a lot more than $5 million to renovate/build our facilities.  

:D UNLV, you are something else.  :D

I like to make steam come out of Terror's head, like the tinman...

The "model" to do it makes sense as a reason.

To me, money issues would not have any influence as you'd want to build up scholarships (if you throw all your scholarships in year one into the pot or even do it in two years, your going to have some recruiting issues) anyway. Then again, year II of football would be year III overall. Would Lamar even be at the full allotment of 63 scholarships by the SLC year, would they even want to be for recruiting and spreading out the classes, purposes?

Seemed to me that SLU did what they did in an effort to spread out the scholarships so they wouldn't take a big hit in a few years and slowly work their way into a more competitive schedule as they did so (granted, they did get the big win over McNeese)...

Guest abovetherim

You can only sign 30 scholarships per year. So, LU will sign 30 the first year and redshirt them. I think the coach would be wise to recruit high school players heavily but mix in several Juco's. Then do the same for the second signing date.

Now, I'm talking a few classes at Lamar this semester and there are several guys I have talked to that plan to walk-on. I know a lot of people may laugh about current students walking on but I am friends with a young man's father who out of HS was offered a scholarship to Nicholls State but stated "Dad, it just didn't feel right there". There are some talented athletes walking around the Lamar campus.

BTW, I hope PNG 1992 (administrator on orangebloods.com) will weigh in here or smith (former Lamar football player). I'm sure they can give you some better information than myself.

The only thing I'd add to that is that it'd be good to pick up a few transfers that weren't already redshirted.  That way they can sit out their transfer year during the '09 year and then finish out their eligibility.  That would add some strength at the start and maybe give a kid another year of college paid for that they wouldn't get if they played their 4 straight wherever that happen to be now.

Another question...

Does anyone know what kind of schedule you can put together in 2009 aka "the redshirt season"?

I know you can do a intersquad scrimmage, but could you go against like club teams (i.e UT-Arlington has one) or other new teams (maybe you can get a scrimmage against the "redshirt season" squad at South Alabama?)

You can only sign 30 scholarships per year. So, LU will sign 30 the first year and redshirt them. I think the coach would be wise to recruit high school players heavily but mix in several Juco's. Then do the same for the second signing date.

Now, I'm talking a few classes at Lamar this semester and there are several guys I have talked to that plan to walk-on. I know a lot of people may laugh about current students walking on but I am friends with a young man's father who out of HS was offered a scholarship to Nicholls State but stated "Dad, it just didn't feel right there". There are some talented athletes walking around the Lamar campus.

BTW, I hope PNG 1992 (administrator on orangebloods.com) will weigh in here or smith (former Lamar football player). I'm sure they can give you some better information that myself.

Remember, FCS schools can sign kids to "Partials", so that will help, especially for the locals.

Regarding you statement about "Walk Ons", that is not a funny or weird statement.  We all take walk ons for one reason or another.  Last year McNeese's starting tailback was a 5th year Senior who started out at McNeese as a walk on.  We have had MANY good walk ons that did not get offers for one reason or another, and then later earned a scholarship in later years.

Most of the time, it is because a good player may have been playing out of position in High School, and did not turn any heads as a HS QB, but later turns into a pretty good DB or, a RB or something.

And I do not doubt you have some kids on Campus NOW that could play.  MANY times kids don't sign or make an effort to play college ball simply because they do not want to leave home, a girlfriend, or their buddies.  I would be willing to bet Lamar ends up with a dozen or two players from Campus in year one.

Even if they never play, Lamar will need a practice squad.

Head Coach will be hired sometime this summer.

Keep in mind that many SLC teams already have their schedules made out for a few years in advance, and it would cost us money to cancel.

I would be willing to bet McNeese would look forward to scheduling Lamar to come to Lake Charles in year one as a non-conference game.

I hope we can make the annual McNeese/Lamar game the final game of the year.  It's a natural rivalry given our proximity to each other.

Guest abovetherim

Thanks for the comments McTailGator as McNeese is the perennial power in the SLC. My brother played the 1990-1991 seasons at McNeese but married and transferred to Lamar. He has coached a LC-M, West Brook and Mansfield. He is no longer in the coaching profession. Needless to say, I have a ton of respect for the McNeese football program and have several friends and coworkers who are McNeese alumnus.

Again, thanks for the comments and please post as frequently as you would like. We have 20 years of football knowledge to gain from you guys who have football programs. Successful ones too I might add.

I doubt we'll knock heads with McNeese our first year but agree it is a natural rivalry and it would be great to have it as the final game each season. (I think Lamar can be competitive in the SLC but not the first year regardless of who is our Head Coach. So, I'm sure you would love to catch Lamar in Lake Charles our first season. ;D)

I hope we can make the annual McNeese/Lamar game the final game of the year.  It's a natural rivalry given our proximity to each other. 

What...not a big fan of the "red beans and rice bowl" are whatever it is you call the UCA-McN game?

Once Lamar joins, every team will have a nice rivalry game to finish the season except UCA...

McN vs Lamar (Sabine River Showdown)

TxSt vs SHSU (K©at Fight)

SFA vs NWST (Chief Caddo)

SELA vs Nich (Cajun Corner Game -- River Bell)

Talked to some folks at South Alabama -- they are going to be FCS on their way to FBS when they join the Sun Belt (2013, I think). First year is going to be mostly Div II and non-scholarship Div I FCS (which is what I expect of Lamar, as much as you guys don't want that)...

They've already talked to a few schools about home-and-homes at the FBS (formerly I-A level) for quite some time down the road.

What...not a big fan of the "red beans and rice bowl" are whatever it is you call the UCA-McN game?

Once Lamar joins, every team will have a nice rivalry game to finish the season except UCA...

Yea, the UCA fans are nice, but there is nothing natural about that game with us at the end of the season.

McNeese hasn't really had a rivalry since USL moved out of the SLC in the mid 80's.

Once we all stop holding TxSU back and they go to the land of "Big Time" (HA!), I'd like to see the SLC add another Arkansas team or maybe Delta St. if they can improve their facilities.  That will give UCA a natural rival too.

No way, you would add Tarleton State before Delta State. Tarleton State University is near the D/FW metroplex and has a lot more to offer the conference. Check this site out

This is the hidden content, please

Well I was thinking of it from UCA's point of view.  It's nice to have a rival in your conference.

BUT, in reality, we can lose TxSU and I would rather NOT bring in another football school, because you guy's will keep us at 8 SLC teams in FB, which is THE perfect number with an 11 game schedule.  Still gives us 4 OOC games.  We need 1 big guarantee FBS game for a pay check to pay some bills.  Then we can have a couple of nice home and homes with some quality Top 16 type of FCS teams to keep our fans happy.  Then we still have an extra game to maybe bring in a D-II for a rent a win. and a 6th home game to keep the season ticket holders satisfied.

TAM-CC says they want to start football soon after 2011, so we should hold a spot for them just in case.  That would hurt our home and home scheduling with quality OOC FCS teams.  But we could live with it.

8 Conference games is perfect.  9 is OK, 10 is 2 too many in an eleven game season.

Yea, the UCA fans are nice, but there is nothing natural about that game with us at the end of the season.

McNeese hasn't really had a rivalry since USL moved out of the SLC in the mid 80's.

Once we all stop holding TxSU back and they go to the land of "Big Time" (HA!), I'd like to see the SLC add another Arkansas team or maybe Delta St. if they can improve their facilities.  That will give UCA a natural rival too.

Delta st is in Mississippi... Tarleton is next to get in. Followed by West Texas A&M..Amarillo market.

No way, you would add Tarleton State before Delta State. Tarleton State University is near the D/FW metroplex and has a lot more to offer the conference. Check this site out

This is the hidden content, please

Well I was thinking of it from UCA's point of view.  It's nice to have a rival in your conference.

BUT, in reality, we can lose TxSU and I would rather NOT bring in another football school, because you guy's will keep us at 8 SLC teams in FB, which is THE perfect number with an 11 game schedule.  Still gives us 4 OOC games.  We need 1 big guarantee FBS game for a pay check to pay some bills.  Then we can have a couple of nice home and homes with some quality Top 16 type of FCS teams to keep our fans happy.  Then we still have an extra game to maybe bring in a D-II for a rent a win. and a 6th home game to keep the season ticket holders satisfied.

TAM-CC says they want to start football soon after 2011, so we should hold a spot for them just in case.  That would hurt our home and home scheduling with quality OOC FCS teams.  But we could live with it.

8 Conference games is perfect.  9 is OK, 10 is 2 too many in an eleven game season.

I wouldn't bet on Lamar being FCS long term....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder