Louisiana player, 17, collapses at game, dies at hospital

KFDM COOP

Louisiana player, 17, collapses at game, dies at hospital

BATON ROUGE, La. — Glen Oaks High girls basketball player Shannon Veal collapsed during a playoff game at the school Monday night and was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Veal, who was diabetic, collapsed with 1:34 remaining in the first half of the Class 4A playoff contest against Helen Cox High School. The 5-8 junior point guard for the two-time defending Class 4A state champions had scored 11 points before the incident.

After shooting a free throw, Veal, 17, motioned to head coach Harold Boudreaux, saying she was tired and wanted a substitute. She then dropped back on defense and was guarding a Helen Cox player about 18 feet from the basket when she collapsed and hit her head as she fell.

Veal's father, Gilbert Veal, who was recording the game, rushed on the court as did Boudreaux and other coaches. Paramedics arrived within three minutes. In addition to giving her intravenous fluids, paramedics performed CPR and used a defibrillator before transporting her to nearby LSU Earl K. Long Medical Center.

A crowd of about 200 people and both teams watched as the paramedics worked.

"You know, this is the last ball she shot," Boudreaux said as he clutched the game ball. "She had just made a free throw before it happened. Nothing can prepare for something like this. At least I know she was doing something she loved."

Though Veal's diabetes was diagnosed several years ago, Boudreaux said his star player, who was recently voted the District 6-4A MVP, had never passed out or collapsed.

"We had a routine," Boudreaux said. "I didn't want it (diabetes) to be a handicap for her. But she did check her blood sugar before games and practice and she always reported that to me. It (blood sugar) was in the acceptable range. There was no indication that anything was wrong until it happened."

As he left the hospital, Gilbert Veal said his daughter was being scouted by all of the top Division I schools. Veal had a stack of more than 75 letters from college coaches trying to swing her to their school, he said, and his daughter was in the midst of one of her best seasons on the court.

"Her basketball accolades were just phenomenal," Veal said. "She was just getting her life started."

LSU assistants Bob Starkey and Travis Mays were in the stands to scout Veal for the first time. "I feel for the family of the young lady and I feel for Harold as well. When I walked out he was absolutely devastated at that time. They were trying to do everything they could to revive her.

"I can't even imagine as a coach seeing one of your players like that and my heart goes out to him as well as everyone in the community. I can't even describe it. ... It was just tragic." Larry Scott, a family friend and her godfather, described Veal as "an all-around good kid who never let the diabetes get to her."

Veal worked basketball camps during the summer, always kept a smile on her face and was well-liked by friends, parents and teachers, he said. "Even if she hadn't been in basketball, she was exemplary. It's tragic for her to be gone so soon."

The Lady Panthers had a 35-21 lead when Veal collapsed and the game was suspended. The game will resume from the point of interruption, said Louisiana High School Athletic Association assistant commissioner Mac Chauvin. A decision on when and where the game will be played will be made Tuesday.

Counselors will be at Glen Oaks to help students, teachers and staff cope with the loss, said Chris Trahan, a spokesman for the East Baton Rouge Parish school system.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami