Will Tramain Thomas be able to walk on his college basketball team?

He could walk on but he would be putting a lucrative football career in jeopardy!!  And the fact that most big schools only have 2 or 3 walk-ons doesn't make his chances good.... And the fact that those two or three walk-ons are putting thier ALL into bball (not two sports) they probally would beat him out!

So you mean to tell me you have never seen a "natural" athlete who never had to try and do anything beat out a kid who worked his tail off and just didn't get much better? Cause if you haven't ever seen that then you don't watch many high school sports.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you UK!! If you look at my ORIGINAL answer, I DID answer THAT question...I said the football coach would not go for it...Other people made it a personal crusade for class 2A justice!...

Just for the record, he is talking about me.  And my 1st 3 post said he will never play basketball at Arkansas, because you hardly ever see Guards play both Football and Basketball.  More times than not its 6'6" to 6'8" athletes (ala D. McNabb) that are role players.  I also said that he made the right choice in playing football. 

But I do believe he could have played basketball at a place like Baylor (who offered him a ride in both sports) or Tech, but I never said Texas, UCLA, UK, or KU or the NBA. 

So no Dicky V, no crusade, just speaking on someone I've watched, unlike yourself who hasn't watched him since his Soph year.

geez...we are only stating our opinions.  You don't have to keep trying to get us to change our minds about it.  UK...as to the 5'2" pg for Kentucky...good for them, but he is not a football player, is he?  I guess I should have added the tag line "in general" about the coaches who want every one of their players to contribute now or later. (and no, I don't know the ARK coaches personally  ;D) Every once in a while, you will find coaches who will give the "little guy" his chance as per the UK PG you told us about and I applaud that.  My point is that most coaches want the guy that will be there for them 100% and not the the guy that will be 80% football and 20% basketball, especially when he might get hurt playing football.  Moreover, Icky is correct when he says that the guys that are bigger (6'6" to 6'8") that might play 2 sports in college, guys like Donovan McNabb, Martellus Bennett, etc.

He could walk on but he would be putting a lucrative football career in jeopardy!!  And the fact that most big schools only have 2 or 3 walk-ons doesn't make his chances good.... And the fact that those two or three walk-ons are putting thier ALL into bball (not two sports) they probally would beat him out!

So you mean to tell me you have never seen a "natural" athlete who never had to try and do anything beat out a kid who worked his tail off and just didn't get much better? Cause if you haven't ever seen that then you don't watch many high school sports.

No what I am saying is that TT being a duel sport guy will not be able to lend the time it takes to be the best in either sport...  I am not saying he could not be good... Just not at both sports to a kid that only concentrates on one!!!!!!  College is different from high school and it take a certain amount of dedication to perfect the game at that level!

Guest DickVitale

The bottom line is that he is NOT A BASKETBALL RECRUIT...He is a good 2A player, actually he is an exceptional 2A player in basketball, but that does not equate playing on the next level.  ARKANSAS will NOT allow him to walk on, I can guarantee that...100% sure of it....Can anyone on the board speak from the experience of playing and coaching a division 1 sport? I can.....Anyone else?....anybody?.....END OF THREAD. ;)