ROOSEVELT might be in HUGE Trouble

ROOSEVELT might be in HUGE Trouble (From Ch.8)

Brett Shipp strikes again.

This is the hidden content, please

By BRETT SHIPP / WFAA-TV

WFAA-TV DALLAS - A teacher revolt at a Dallas High School has reached a fever pitch, and the fallout could get messy.

Teachers at Roosevelt High School are providing News 8 with evidence that they said shows failing students are being awarded passing grades.

The uproar began last October when the new school principal issued an edict instructing teachers to give students grades they didn't deserve.

One notable case involved one of Roosevelt's star football players, whose grade was evidently changed in the wake of the principal's new grading policy.

Roosevelt's football team made it to the playoffs this year with the help of several talented players. But the eligibility of at least one of those players is in question following revelations from some high school teachers who say they were instructed to change grades of failing students as part of a policy implemented last December by first-year principal Myrtle Jean Dixon.

"We have agreed to provide students a grade of 65 as the lowest grade for a grading period," read one edict allegedly made by Dixon.

One apparent example provided to News 8 was a grade change form for one of the football team's star players in which his failing six-weeks grade of 60 was changed to a passing grade of 70. Principal Dixon authorized the change.

However, Melinda Johnson, an English teacher at the school, said that is nothing new. She said she has been approached and asked to change a failing athlete's grades by four coaches and the vice principal.

"... I refused and I said, 'Nope,' and, 'I'm not going to change the grade,'" she said.

Johnson said she has been repeatedly harassed for standing up to the principal and her administration. In fact, she said it got so bad this week, she quit.

"But, I told those administrators at the building yesterday, 'You will see me on the media because there are things going on at this building that are illegal and unethical,'" she said.

But Johnson is not the only one who has come forward.

Thirty-five teachers and school employees have signed a petition questioning what they called intolerable conditions at the school, and unprofessional treatment by Principal Dixon.

Teachers Union representative Jeff Sherels said teachers have been begging district officials to investigate.

"Teachers are frustrated," Sherels said. "Teachers have forwarded complaints and concerns to various individuals in administration and nothing has been done."

Principal Dixon did not respond to News 8 calls.

"The district is aware of the issues raised by this group of teachers at Roosevelt and is continuing to work to address them," said DISD spokesman Jon Dahlander in a statement.

The grade-changing issue at Roosevelt is expected to come to a head at DISD's board meeting Thursday. Teachers said they will demand action until the grade-changing policy is reversed.

Same goes for 4 or 5 of the DISD schools...In that grades, attendance zones, and player accepting $$$ to play at certain schools....Even while coming from Middle Schools......Serves the administration right for turning the cheek for this long....Hope someone loses their job and teaching certificates....BOOM!

Guest DickVitale

Come on, man...I mean they should be dealt with, but allow the people to work again, geesh...No one died or anything like that, did they? ::)..Some of you guys are just heartless!!

Guest DickVitale

Oh well, Kashmere was so corrupt before my dad got there, so I am not surprised!! :D....Nah, I know Coach Brazos did not play that, so don't even try that one...I KNOW better than that!! ;)

Oh well, Kashmere was so corrupt before my dad got there, so I am not surprised!! :D....Nah, I know Coach Brazos did not play that, so don't even try that one...I KNOW better than that!! ;)

Hey Dick! The honest God's truth. Coach Brazos is not among us anymore, but he talked to my English teacher and she changed my grade. I missed a game until it was changed. But I was intelligent enough to pass the class.  I just lost my focus for those particular six weeks.

Well, on another but familiar note, being involved with the judicial system my whole working career i've seen the athletes at the local schools, some more than others, think that just because they play football, basketball etc. they are bullet proof and exempt from obeying the laws.  These kids think that if they get caught breaking the law that just because they are an "athlete" that nothing is going to happen to them.  I've seen a few take the ride and some have taken that experience and learned by it and some really good athletes that could have had their educations paid for have taken those experience's and gone the opposite direction (still in and out of the pokey).  I got to see first hand back during the playoffs a particular athlete at a particular school was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, but totally involved in a particular matter, and the subject became beligerent towards the officers.  The officers didn't know who the athlete was or even cared but the athlete was so disrespectful and beligerent that the athlete took the ride.  Well, the next morning the Head Coach, knowing the circumstances of the arrest bonded the athlete out of jail because they had a playoff game THAT NIGHT!  Needless to say the athlete got to play the game and was never even disciplined by the school, IT IS THE LAW THAT THE SCHOOL DISTRICT BE NOTIFIED IF A STUDENT IS PUT IN JAIL.  Is this the kind of examples that are being set in our schools?  Surely not.  Anyways, this whole incident reminded of that, there is always going to be favoritism in our school districts.  What this kid needed was a good @$$ whoopn'and expelled from the team.

Well, on another but familiar note, being involved with the judicial system my whole working career i've seen the athletes at the local schools, some more than others, think that just because they play football, basketball etc. they are bullet proof and exempt from obeying the laws.  These kids think that if they get caught breaking the law that just because they are an "athlete" that nothing is going to happen to them.  I've seen a few take the ride and some have taken that experience and learned by it and some really good athletes that could have had their educations paid for have taken those experience's and gone the opposite direction (still in and out of the pokey).  I got to see first hand back during the playoffs a particular athlete at a particular school was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, but totally involved in a particular matter, and the subject became beligerent towards the officers.  The officers didn't know who the athlete was or even cared but the athlete was so disrespectful and beligerent that the athlete took the ride.  Well, the next morning the Head Coach, knowing the circumstances of the arrest bonded the athlete out of jail because they had a playoff game THAT NIGHT!  Needless to say the athlete got to play the game and was never even disciplined by the school, IT IS THE LAW THAT THE SCHOOL DISTRICT BE NOTIFIED IF A STUDENT IS PUT IN JAIL.  Is this the kind of examples that are being set in our schools?  Surely not.  Anyways, this whole incident reminded of that, there is always going to be favoritism in our school districts.  What this kid needed was a good @$$ whoopn'and expelled from the team.

I agree with this post all the way til the last sentence...So you believe the student athlete should be penalized???

He was doing what any high school athlete would, he wanted to play...I know if the coach told me I could play, I sure as hell wouldnt contradict him, I would get out there and do what I love to do....

I agree with this post all the way til the last sentence...So you believe the student athlete should be penalized???

He was doing what any high school athlete would, he wanted to play...I know if the coach told me I could play, I sure as heck wouldnt contradict him, I would get out there and do what I love to do....

Why heck yeah, I would play too if my head coach got me out of jail and told me I could play and the school district didn't punish me, shoot who wouldn't.  The problem is when (1) Your head coach bonds you out of jail and acts like it's no big deal for not only disrespecting the law but disrespecting his team and his community(heck of an example to set) and (2) not being punished whatsoever by the school district or his coaches.  Apparently this particular school runs their athletic program in that manner.  It was actually kind of surprising to me.

I think that if it's true then they should be banned from the playoff's for some time as well as the people responsible let go. I realize it happens more than you would like to think, but that doesn't make it right. I feel the same way about recruiting players to go to a certain school. That should be left for college, then maybe when they get there they will appreciate the oppertunity given to them more.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed