Seahawks hit the road Saturday against North Lake College

The Lamar State College-Port Arthur men’s basketball team returns to the road for their next two Metro Athletic Conference games, beginning at 7 p.m. Saturday against North Lake College in Irving.

The Seahawks are 9-10 overall and 2-2 in conference play after they escaped with an 80-76 win at home Wednesday against Richland College.

Lamar State led by 10 at half-time and built that lead to 16 points with two minutes left in the game. Unforced turnovers and missed foul shots allowed the Thunderducks to cut the margin to single digits in the closing seconds of the game.

Sophomore forward Cody Guidry from Hamshire-Fannett led all Seahawks scorers with 21 points and 11 rebounds.

Vidor Pirate-exes Noah Cole and George Williamson each contributed 17 points.

West Brook-ex Sam Stelly collected 16 points in the eighth straight game in which he hit double figures. Stelly is averaging 11.52 point per game for the season, but has hit 17.5 ppg game in four conference tilts.

North Lake (9-12, 2-2), the 2007 MAC champion and fourth-place finisher in last year’s NJCAA Division III tournament, is coming off three-straight conference wins, the latest a 56-54 victory Wednesday over Cedar Valley College.

Lamar State will be on the road again next Wednesday at Mountain View College in Dallas.

The Seahawks return home Saturday, Feb. 2, for a conference rematch with Cedar Valley.

Guest DickVitale

Coop, my nephew (Andre "P-nut" Boutte) called me on Saturday and told me that the coach actually quit on them on Saturday!! He sat there the entire second half and the kids had to sub in themselves!! He ASKED them what time THEY were going to practice on Monday because he was NOT going to be there!...Did you hear anything about this??

Guest DickVitale

I thought it was pretty odd, too....I went to a few games early on and they had no assistant coach either...I hear he had differences with the head coach as well and quit...P-nut told me that they are going to have scholarships next season and they are going into a new conference as well...Of course P-nut won't be there, but he said that the coach was planning on going back into retirement after this season anyway, and things were kind of crazy over there right now..Do you think that LU-PA program will make it? I think that could really have something with all of the SE Texas kids that CAN play with no where to go...What do you think?

Guest DickVitale

Yeah, I appreciate that, and I DO know that there is always two sides to every story...No need to show me P-nuts stats, though, I have no idea why that was necessary, I was just asking if anyone knew the situation.  For a coach to get THAT frustrated and QUIT on his team is VERY unprofessional and does not send the right message to the players.  If he gets that bent out of shape, he should consider stepping down and letting someone else take on the responsibility.  If they tank this season IT IS COACH BRYSON'S FAULT...100%...He quit on his team, and you do NOT do that as a leader...PERIOD.

i am sure he did not quit on his team. I would think he was trying to prove a point, that the players way was not working. So he just let them play. I have seen coaches before do this to make a point. Hopefully they understand now, that it is to be done the way a coach wants it. Thats why he is the coach.

But saying all that, i do wish they would just play more.

Guest DickVitale

That's NOT how you teach....You instill DISCIPLINE and you TEACH...THAT is how you reach your players...You don't pout on the sideline like some 5-year old, and tell your players "I am done, I am just going to sit here and get PAID!" Then he asked what time they wanted to practice on Monday because "I will not be there" That is ridiculous.

Guest DickVitale

Honestly? I really would not mind taking over that program myself. I would even go there as an assistant to grow some more and learn more about the college coaching game.  I coached one year on the college level, and would like to get back there someday. LSC-PA could be a good place to springboard from. Once scholarships are put in place, that place could be a really good breeding ground for Lamar University players that Roc needs to tuck away for one or two seasons in order for them to gain eligibility and such...I honestly have given it some thought and will probably follow up on it at seasons end... ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder