NFL vs Time Warner

MikeEast

The NFL decided to forego almost $400,000,000 for 8 games from a current and widely distributed cable network (both Versus and TNT had bids that neared $400M) and put games instead on its own nascent network that has terrible programming other than the 8 games on the schedule.

Then, because the NFL needed to "recoup" the $400,000,000 that it left on the table, it "told" cable operators that they would need to pay $.70 per subscriber per month for the privilege of carrying its network. The NFL "demanded" that the carriage be on a basic tier channel and not a digital or premium channel.

Now mind you this is the same NFL that gave the middle finger to the same cable companies when it came time to renegotiate the Sunday Ticket package and kept an exclusive deal with DirecTV rather than opening up negotiations between DirecTV and the networks.  The cable operators tried to put it on a premium package, but the NFL has won that legal fight against every operator other than Comcast -- and the NFL is appealing the ruling in favor of Comcast.

So the next time Jerry Jones and his greedy friends, i.e., other NFL owners, try to make you believe that it's the cable company keeping the game from you, ask them why they gave up $400,000,000, which would have let you, me and everyone else watch the games now being shown on the NFL Network.

Anyone think that NBC, CBS, FOX or ESPN are even remotely coming close to making money off their NFL deals? NO WAY.  Check the numbers.  But, they make sports programming available because they provide as reliable a ratings source as exists in the 21st century media landscape.  I believe the term for their NFL contracts is "loss leaders."  That is, they're money losing contracts, but the programming provides additional eyeballs to the respective networks, which can then promote their other programming and perhaps get a bump on that.  The NFL doesn't understand the concept of a "loss leader" because since the advent of FOX, there has been one more major network than there has been TV packages.  The NFL has seen rights fees escalate to unprecedented heights paid by networks that are starving for some semblance of past dominance.  The NFL could have chosen to make another tidy profit off these 8 games by selling to the highest bidder such as TNT, ESPN, or maybe ABC (since they lost MNF).  Instead, the NFL gambled that it was the bigger of the 800 pound gorillas. So far it has been proved wrong.  But, it sure is heartening to see multibillionaires like Jerry Jones whining to the media and Congress and the FCC and whoever else unquestioningly reports his bitching and moaning.  In this instance, the NFL made its bed. Now it should have to lie in it until the next contract renegotiations. And maybe next time, it won't look the gift horse of someone else's loss leader in the mouth.

I'm not a cable subscriber, but, in this showdown, the cable company is less a pile of s#%! than the NFL and its greedy owners.  Perhaps in 5 or 10 years all sports programming will be pay-per-view, and the price will be variable depending upon the game/match-up.  That way, both the NFL and the cable/satellite provider can make a tidy profit.  You'll be able to thank the NFL for that development.

Peace.

Guest gladiator2

What is rediculous about this is in Houston they have 2 cable companies that subscribed to the NFL Network and they charge their customers $5 a month. They are nowhere the size of TWC  and they could afford it, so I do not buy what TWC is trying to sell. Whenever I noticed that they were not going to carry the Cowboy-GB game, I canceled my services and went to DTV. In the past whenever I had DTV, whenever it would rain I would lose reception, now that I have the HD satelite I have been through numerous thunderstorms and have not had any problems. They now carry the local channels.

What is rediculous about this is in Houston they have 2 cable companies that subscribed to the NFL Network and they charge their customers $5 a month. They are nowhere the size of TWC  and they could afford it, so I do not buy what TWC is trying to sell. Whenever I noticed that they were not going to carry the Cowboy-GB game, I canceled my services and went to DTV. In the past whenever I had DTV, whenever it would rain I would lose reception, now that I have the HD satelite I have been through numerous thunderstorms and have not had any problems. They now carry the local channels.

But, if given a choice, I bet most would opt to NOT pay the $% per month for the extra channel.  Remember a few yrs. back when we all voted for our phone bill.  The option was for an additional $2 month, we could get UNLIMITED long distance from like PA to BMT etc.  TWO LOWSY DOLLARS...and the vote failed probably because of alot of old people that NEVER call long distance.  Now I pay$69 for unlimited calling nationwide, but in my case, it's a value.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    daxebeg833
    Newest Member
    daxebeg833