Kountze 62 Orangefield 53/FINAL

4 hours ago, Coach 01 said:

Game 1 bad refs, Game 2 good refs, Game 3 bad refs. Got it.

This game was won at the 5:00 minute mark through the end of the 1st half when Kountze went on a 35-12 run. Plain and simple. Blaming the refs is nothing new, and explains a lot about the way some kids behave on the court. 

My kid doesn't carry himself poorly on the floor or anywhere else. We worry about what kind of human beings we are before we worry about what kind of athlete he is. Everyone can say whatever but whats done is done and we are on to the playoffs, just like they are. Hope to see them again in a few weeks, until then we will honestly be pulling for them! 

Blaming the refs? What happened to that supporting cast going off for 35 points game 3 like you thought?

This game was over with after Kountze’s 18-2 and 35-12 run. Orangefield doesn’t have to horses to counter that.

Kudos to the defensive job Kountze has done on Scales after his monster 1st half in Game 2. They’ve held him to 12 total points over the last 6 quarters…. Maybe that’s where the focus should be instead of blaming the officials because things didn’t go your way.

13 minutes ago, KHSAlum400 said:

Blaming the refs? What happened to that supporting cast going off for 35 points game 3 like you thought?

This game was over with after Kountze’s 18-2 and 35-12 run. Orangefield doesn’t have to horses to counter that.

Kudos to the defensive job Kountze has done on Scales after his monster 1st half in Game 2. They’ve held him to 12 total points over the last 6 quarters…. Maybe that’s where the focus should be instead of blaming the officials because things didn’t go your way.

If you are going to address me, then tag me. 

Refs - I simply made an obvious assessment of the fact that my son never even got to foul line all night even though he was fouled repeatedly, hand checked, blocked, and pushed all why we are in the bonus. Sells made it to the line more than our entire team's free throw count which totaled to be 7 in Game 3.

Kountzes Runs - We were up double digits to zero in the first quarter at start of the game, which could have helped us through the Kountze runs. With that being said, Your math in bold above shows a score of 53 -14. We got our other 39 points during the same game.

Orangefield's Supporting Cast - They put up 27 of the 35 I said we needed and were led by Thomas with 14. They were 8 shy and we lost by 9. I said all along that Kountze would come out; face-guard and double Ghost like they did during the 2nd half of Game 2 and now all the way through Game 3. It is good defensive strategy on Coach Jouberts part and I dont blame him at all. It's what Id have done if I was playing us as well. Who wouldn't? Ghost torched yall in Games 1 & 2 with fg's and assists not ft's. He had 21 & 26 with only 7 total free throw attempts for both games. Taking him out of the game and disrupting our offense is smart defensive strategy, but it also means that you should have to live with picking up more fouls which is what happened during Game 2. We just didnt get those calls in Game 3, so it is what it is. It's a sport and always a gamble.

Orangefield's Horses As You Put It - I've said all season that our ceiling was every bit as high as Kountze, but we are nowhere near as deep. That shouldn't be news to anyone. Yall have bench players that would start at other schools in our district! No shots taken here, that is a great luxury to have. We have to run our horses in the ground against a team like yall. 

Scales Having 12 Points In The Last 6 Quarters - I've already said it was good defensive strategy to take my son out of the game, and that I would've done the same, so yes hats off to Kountze for having a plan and executing. We absolutely should be doing more to free him up with downscreens, motion, etc when teams choose to play him that way because he is such a big part to the flow of our offense. At the same time, Coach Whitmire addresses those types of things with the boys, but heat of the moment decisions and basketball IQ isn't the same in all players at the Varsity Level. I'm sure we will have to implement some things to help free him up and I couldn't be more happy with our entire Coaching Staff and what they do with our boys. 

Did You Know? - Last year Ghost had 21 & 25 through Games 1 & 2 of the Playoffs as a 120lb. freshman. Hitchcock  was sitting in the stands during Game 2 and literally face-guarded him from the opening tip during Game 3 and only allowed him 5 touches throughout the game. He was scoreless with no attempts from the foul line and even though we were up by 1 going into the 4th, we lost by 10. FACTS - COACHES CHOOSE TO TAKE HIM OUT OF THE GAME AND SEE IF THE OTHERS CAN BEAT THEM. ITS STRATEGY, AND ALLOWS OTHERS TO THINK THEY ARE OPEN OR ARE ONLY SEEING MINIMAL COVERAGE. IF THOSE PLAYERS CAPATALIZE ON THAT KIND OF COVERAGE, THEN IT FREES GHOST BACK UP. IF NOT OR AT LEAST NOT TO THE LEVEL NEEDED TO ACCOUNT FOR HIS POINT PRODUCTION, THEN WE LOSE!!! Not Rocket Science here bro!

We will do better and this team is a true team of brothers, that apologize to each other for mistakes made and look out for each other. They have a real joy playing together and it has been an honor to watch them all year! They can pull together and do big things like they did in Game 2 and we believe in them, which is all I have ever said from the beginning.

#webeleive 

23 minutes ago, Cu Chulainn said:

Kountzes Runs - We were up double digits to zero in the first quarter at start of the game, which could have helped us through the Kountze runs. With that being said, Your math in bold above shows a score of 53 -14. We got our other 39 points during the same game.

I believe he is referring to the 18-2 run after OF started out 10-0 (made the score 18-12 Kountze) Actually it was a 21-2 run for Kountze (led 21-12). 

The 35-12 run is how the first half ended. After OF started the game 10-0, Kountze then finished the first half out scoring OF 35-12 for a 35-22 halftime score.

Basically the 18-2 run is within the overall 35-12 run.

Hope that clarifies that issue.

12 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I believe he is referring to the 18-2 run after OF started out 10-0 (made the score 18-12 Kountze) Actually it was a 21-2 run for Kountze (led 21-12). 

The 35-12 run is how the first half ended. After OF started the game 10-0, Kountze then finished the first half out scoring OF 35-12 for a 35-22 halftime score.

Basically the 18-2 run is within the overall 35-12 run.

Hope that clarifies that issue.

Yes sir, it does

1 hour ago, Cu Chulainn said:

Yes sir, it does

Assuming fouls will be called, which would put teams at the FT line, is not a good game plan to have. 

It still sounds like you’re bitter about the officials. 

The game is over though! Enjoy being co-district champs. I only addressed you because you and your buddy made it as if Orangefield only lost this game because the officials didn’t call many fouls or cheated for Kountze.

And one last thing.. both coaches agree to officials in seeding, warmups, and playoff games. If they can't they'll ask the UIL to assign a crew.

1 hour ago, KHSAlum400 said:

Assuming fouls will be called, which would put teams at the FT line, is not a good game plan to have. 

It still sounds like you’re bitter about the officials. 

The game is over though! Enjoy being co-district champs. I only addressed you because you and your buddy made it as if Orangefield only lost this game because the officials didn’t call many fouls or cheated for Kountze.

And one last thing.. both coaches agree to officials in seeding, warmups, and playoff games. If they can't they'll ask the UIL to assign a crew.

I've never Coached any of my players to bank on our points at the foul line being how we'd win a game. However, I have Coached my son to go at particular players to get them in foul trouble because they wouldnt be able to stay in front of him. We have been doing that since he was very young and it has worked more times than not. However, you do need a clean called game to make that strategy work. Hard to win when a teams best players are on the bench in foul trouble or fouled out. It's Chess not Checkers.

As far as whoever you think my buddy is; I dont know anyone on this thread that has said anything nice about my son or his teammates. When folks are nice and wish to remain anonymous, I thank them and leave it at that. 

4 hours ago, Cu Chulainn said:

If you are going to address me, then tag me. 

Refs - I simply made an obvious assessment of the fact that my son never even got to foul line all night even though he was fouled repeatedly, hand checked, blocked, and pushed all why we are in the bonus. Sells made it to the line more than our entire team's free throw count which totaled to be 7 in Game 3.

Orangefield's Supporting Cast - They put up 27 of the 35 I said we needed and were led by Thomas with 14. They were 8 shy and we lost by 9. I said all along that Kountze would come out; face-guard and double Ghost like they did during the 2nd half of Game 2 and now all the way through Game 3. It is good defensive strategy on Coach Jouberts part and I dont blame him at all. It's what Id have done if I was playing us as well. Who wouldn't? Ghost torched yall in Games 1 & 2 with fg's and assists not ft's. He had 21 & 26 with only 7 total free throw attempts for both games. Taking him out of the game and disrupting our offense is smart defensive strategy, but it also means that you should have to live with picking up more fouls which is what happened during Game 2. We just didnt get those calls in Game 3, so it is what it is. It's a sport and always a gamble.

Orangefield's Horses As You Put It - I've said all season that our ceiling was every bit as high as Kountze, but we are nowhere near as deep. That shouldn't be news to anyone. Yall have bench players that would start at other schools in our district! No shots taken here, that is a great luxury to have. We have to run our horses in the ground against a team like yall. 

Scales Having 12 Points In The Last 6 Quarters - I've already said it was good defensive strategy to take my son out of the game, and that I would've done the same, so yes hats off to Kountze for having a plan and executing. We absolutely should be doing more to free him up with downscreens, motion, etc when teams choose to play him that way because he is such a big part to the flow of our offense. At the same time, Coach Whitmire addresses those types of things with the boys, but heat of the moment decisions and basketball IQ isn't the same in all players at the Varsity Level. I'm sure we will have to implement some things to help free him up and I couldn't be more happy with our entire Coaching Staff and what they do with our boys. 

Did You Know? - Last year Ghost had 21 & 25 through Games 1 & 2 of the Playoffs as a 120lb. freshman. Hitchcock  was sitting in the stands during Game 2 and literally face-guarded him from the opening tip during Game 3 and only allowed him 5 touches throughout the game. He was scoreless with no attempts from the foul line and even though we were up by 1 going into the 4th, we lost by 10. FACTS - COACHES CHOOSE TO TAKE HIM OUT OF THE GAME AND SEE IF THE OTHERS CAN BEAT THEM. ITS STRATEGY, AND ALLOWS OTHERS TO THINK THEY ARE OPEN OR ARE ONLY SEEING MINIMAL COVERAGE. IF THOSE PLAYERS CAPATALIZE ON THAT KIND OF COVERAGE, THEN IT FREES GHOST BACK UP. IF NOT OR AT LEAST NOT TO THE LEVEL NEEDED TO ACCOUNT FOR HIS POINT PRODUCTION, THEN WE LOSE!!! Not Rocket Science here bro!

We will do better and this team is a true team of brothers, that apologize to each other for mistakes made and look out for each other. They have a real joy playing together and it has been an honor to watch them all year! They can pull together and do big things like they did in Game 2 and we believe in them, which is all I have ever said from the beginning.

#webeleive 

I was not at this game, unfortunately, but I have a question.  You are saying Kountze faceguarded and doubled your son.  Were they not in a diamond press and zone?  I have never seen a Kountze team not in zone.  Just curious.

1 hour ago, 72 Pinto said:

I was not at this game, unfortunately, but I have a question.  You are saying Kountze faceguarded and doubled your son.  Were they not in a diamond press and zone?  I have never seen a Kountze team not in zone.  Just curious.

Kountze played zone most of this game. 

Played man in the 2nd half some.

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Kountze played zone most of this game. 

Played man in the 2nd half some.

Face guarded Scales as soon as they came out of their timeout when we were up 10/0  and would send help over when he had the ball. Zone for the other 4 defenders. Box and 1 really and you know it. You were there, dont act like they werent holding his jersey and pushing him all night! 

The goal of almost every team Ever,  is to limit the touches of the opponents best shooter.  Defense stepped up after going down 0-10.   All teams grab shirts , shorts what ever they can.  They frustrate the player with the ball.  Everyone thinks Scales is a phenomenal athlete.  But frustrating him is the goal.  Just like teams try to limit Sells.   Refs call how they call,  Joubert preaches to his players , play the game and let him worry about the Ref.  An 18-2 run is Not the refs.   When you have been guarded the entire game , denied the ball and having to run around the gym all night ,  you also get tired.  Makes you miss shots later.  Legs are dead in the 4th.   Good luck in the playoffs and get ready for more of the same defense .  Hitchcock was there watching both teams.   Whitmire has done a good job and will be ready.   

10 hours ago, Cu Chulainn said:

Face guarded Scales as soon as they came out of their timeout when we were up 10/0  and would send help over when he had the ball. Zone for the other 4 defenders. Box and 1 really and you know it. You were there, dont act like they werent holding his jersey and pushing him all night! 

Are you still on this? This happens in every HS game. Come on dude, this isn't Little Dribblers. Just admit the better team won that night and move on. I hope you get some decent rest tonight before the playoffs begin. It sounds like you haven't slept very well since Friday night... 

1 hour ago, KHSAlum400 said:

Are you still on this? This happens in every HS game. Come on dude, this isn't Little Dribblers. Just admit the better team won that night and move on. I hope you get some decent rest tonight before the playoffs begin. It sounds like you haven't slept very well since Friday night... 

No one is complaining about the physicality of the game and we welcome it. We have been in AAU and on the Circuit since he was 8 and he played up every year! We just want consistency with calls on both ends of the floor, not ticky tack on one end and then a blatant disregard for the other end. 

As far as kids getting in his face and acting like they want to fight, well that is every game and it is always some scrub trying to earn some stripes in front of their own team. They are just selling wolf tickets, and we know they aren't real! It is never the star athletes from any team trying to start mess, because they have nothing to prove. It is always the no count scrubs every time whose name has never even made a scouting report. 

We actually appreciate all the crap though, it just fuels the fire for the offseason!

BTW, thanks for the well wishes on my sleep. I really don't sleep very well these days.

1 hour ago, DP#1FAN said:

Each team going forward will face physical teams before one of them reaches the state tournament. In the playoffs the game is different. Wish both teams success in the playoff and would love to see them meet up one more time this year!

Thank you and I would love to see that too!

On 2/17/2024 at 3:31 PM, Cu Chulainn said:

You were there, why do you tell it like you didnt see the truth? How many of those free throws were Sells? How many were Scales?

Typical Orangefield cry babies. Just like y'all’s head coach. 

WAHHHH😭

8 hours ago, mfd814 said:

The goal of almost every team Ever,  is to limit the touches of the opponents best shooter.  Defense stepped up after going down 0-10.   All teams grab shirts , shorts what ever they can.  They frustrate the player with the ball.  Everyone thinks Scales is a phenomenal athlete.  But frustrating him is the goal.  Just like teams try to limit Sells.   Refs call how they call,  Joubert preaches to his players , play the game and let him worry about the Ref.  An 18-2 run is Not the refs.   When you have been guarded the entire game , denied the ball and having to run around the gym all night ,  you also get tired.  Makes you miss shots later.  Legs are dead in the 4th.   Good luck in the playoffs and get ready for more of the same defense .  Hitchcock was there watching both teams.   Whitmire has done a good job and will be ready.   

Sounds like you were there and I appreciate your honesty. I have said nearly identically what you just stated here previously, but all of the cowardly crap stirrers wanted to run with it and dispute what the game plan was all the way down to acting yall ran some kind of a soft zone against us or something, which we ALL know isn't true. I respect Joubert's Game Plan to limit Ghost's touches and wear him down. I'd do the same if it was me. Finding ways to win is part of the game and we came up short this time. Once again, thank you for stating the facts and well wishes, we will pulling for you guys too!