U.S. Navy Drops High School Diploma, GED Requirement for Recruits — What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Reagan

13 hours ago, Reagan said:

This is the hidden content, please

To be honest, I don’t have a big problem with it. You still have to make the score on a standardized test which means you have to be able read and reason. We aren’t talking Officer Candidates. We are talking about grunts who will be sacrificing their lives to protect us. I don’t see where a GED or equivalent is necessary in this instance. 

30 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

To be honest, I don’t have a big problem with it. You still have to make the score on a standardized test which means you have to be able read and reason. We aren’t talking Officer Candidates. We are talking about grunts who will be sacrificing their lives to protect us. I don’t see where a GED or equivalent is necessary in this instance. 

I agree to an extent . My great grand father served in WW1 and didn’t have either. 
my wife’s grandfather served and he only completed school thru the 8th grade.

(Extent) young men back then are a lot different then young men these days….the “men” doesn’t apply to the majority these days.

1 hour ago, 5GallonBucket said:

(Extent) young men back then are a lot different then young men these days….the “men” doesn’t apply to the majority these days.

Have to agree there. But if a kid who didn’t finish school but passes the ASVAB and wants to enlist to better himself and/or defend his country, then I’m all for it. 

52 minutes ago, baddog said:

They were yanking 17 year olds out of high school to send to Vietnam. 

I don’t think it was legal then or now to draft a 17 year old, who is still a child under federal law.