Duncanville Gloves??

ST413

I can tell you at one time in the NCAA(90's) it was illegal to match gloves to opponent's jerseys.  I know this because we wore green gloves against Baylor and we were made to change them.  However, there is not restriction on color now.  I assume that changed after the grey glove rule.  If you can afford to buy gloves that match your opponents, more power to you.  I could not afford an extra $250-300 dollars on gloves.  

There are a lot of equipment rules that are not enforced.

Here is the big one.  Knee Pads. Knee pads must be covered by pants. Furthermore, the pants and knee pads must cover the knees. No pads or protective equipment may be worn outside the pants. 

I have asked the officials about this and they tell me they are not the uniform police.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 12:37 AM, Coach Moore said:

I can tell you at one time in the NCAA(90's) it was illegal to match gloves to opponent's jerseys.  I know this because we wore green gloves against Baylor and we were made to change them.  However, there is not restriction on color now.  I assume that changed after the grey glove rule.  If you can afford to buy gloves that match your opponents, more power to you.  I could not afford an extra $250-300 dollars on gloves.  

There are a lot of equipment rules that are not enforced.

Here is the big one.  Knee Pads. Knee pads must be covered by pants. Furthermore, the pants and knee pads must cover the knees. No pads or protective equipment may be worn outside the pants. 

I have asked the officials about this and they tell me they are not the uniform police.

Knee pads do nothing in terms of protection for a player, and pose no safety risk if improperly worn (eg. exposed should pads or back plates). Its nice that officials have moved on and can focus on more important rules than knee pads.

Someone already said it but this is all gamesmanship. Trying to gain an edge wherever you can. Defensive backs are coached to grab at the hips and to bump arms to slow WRs down, Wrs are taught to push off with elbows and hands on the hip, linemen are coached to grab block body to body to cover up holding. Every sport has it, and every good team does it whether they are wearing certain color gloves or not. 

I have debated if I would even respond, but I will since I deal with equipment.

Here is the thing, the gloves are legal and not disallowed by rule.  If you want to spend the money on it, more power to you.  Its part of the game at this point.  And PNG overcame a perceived or real disadvantage and won.

Now here is the flip side, Knee pads are a rule.  As a coach I have to ensure that the athletes are properly equipped, if not I am liable.  I have officials come up to me before the game and tell me to cover back plates and I will ask about knee pads.  Then I am told we are not the equipment police.  See the dilemma?  What rules are they going to enforce?  I have to make sure my kids are legal before the game, but the other team walks out and they are not in compliance.  You say no big deal.  But it is when you are trying to teach kids to follow the rules and the people who are in charge of enforcing the rules don't do it.

If it is a rule, enforce it or change it, but dont ignore it.

My $.02

8 hours ago, Coach Moore said:

But it is when you are trying to teach kids to follow the rules and the people who are in charge of enforcing the rules don't do it.

Do you or any of your coaches teach lineman how to hold without getting caught? Teach DB’s to tug on a shirt or hook a receiver? If one of your kids gets away with a penalty without getting flagged, do you teach them to turn themselves in? I could come up with tons of examples to refute your comment above, but I feel like you get my point…