Semifinal Rematch Discussion - PNG vs. Liberty Hill

Rez Ipsa

PNG vs. Liberty Hill  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Indians or Panthers?

23 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

11k capacity......let the crying begin

There should be crying - It’s horse crap to arbitrarily deny fans the ability to watch the game. The whole point of high school football is community involvement. It’s not our fault our playoff opponents don’t have communities (including our friends from the surrounding SETX community who show up for each other) that care about their team enough to get on the road and watch. The gamesmanship of trying to find smaller stadiums to leave PNG fans out is pathetic and cowardly. If they can leave us out, how about just have no fans at all? If PNG has to turn 2,000-3,000 fans away, Liberty Hill should have to turn that many away as well , but everyone knows they would have no fans at all if they had to do that. The fact is you could hold this game on the moon and we’d still show up, and most other teams struggle to fill up their home stadiums. And, it’s going to backfire - Now Liberty Hill will be utterly surrounded by PNG in a more confined space. They’re going to have PTSD from hearing Cherokee. 

24 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

11k capacity......let the crying begin

No crying...CFISD can sell SRO tickets and/or open up the LH side to PN-G and we can fill their side, too.  Katy Legacy held 12,000 last year and after the PN-G side sold out, the Katy ISD sold SRO and opened up the LH side to PN-G.  The view from LH's side last year was great.

3 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

I heard they chose a smaller stadium because they didnt have 10k at NRG

I'd estimate that PN-G had 10K-12K at NRG.  Huntsville 1K-2K.  The fans of 2022-2023 are not like 1974-1977 when PN-G played had huge crowds 30,000 - 49,000. Times have changed.  That said,  the purple and white faithful still roll pretty strong come playoff time.  CFISD's Berry Center will be fine.  We'll fill it up and spill over to LH's side.  No worries...plenty of Indians will be on hand for Cherokee and the War Chant.  Join us, great. Glad to have you.  Like us, super.  Thanks for the love.  Hate us, we don't care.  We are PN-G.  Peace. 

27 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

There should be crying - It’s horse crap to arbitrarily deny fans the ability to watch the game. The whole point of high school football is community involvement. It’s not our fault our playoff opponents don’t have communities (including our friends from the surrounding SETX community who show up for each other) that care about their team enough to get on the road and watch. The gamesmanship of trying to find smaller stadiums to leave PNG fans out is pathetic and cowardly. If they can leave us out, how about just have no fans at all? If PNG has to turn 2,000-3,000 fans away, Liberty Hill should have to turn that many away as well , but everyone knows they would have no fans at all if they had to do that. The fact is you could hold this game on the moon and we’d still show up, and most other teams struggle to fill up their home stadiums. And, it’s going to backfire - Now Liberty Hill will be utterly surrounded by PNG in a more confined space. They’re going to have PTSD from hearing Cherokee. 

you should contact the UIL and express your displeasure.

8 minutes ago, 1989NDN said:

I'd estimate that PN-G had 10K-12K at NRG.  Huntsville 1K-2K.  The fans of 2022-2023 are not like 1974-1977 when PN-G played had huge crowds 30,000 - 49,000. Times have changed.  That said,  the purple and white faithful still roll pretty strong come playoff time.  CFISD's Berry Center will be fine.  We'll fill it up and spill over to LH's side.  No worries...plenty of Indians will be on hand for Cherokee and the War Chant.  Join us, great. Glad to have you.  Like us, super.  Thanks for the love.  Hate us, we don't care.  We are PN-G.  Peace. 

The days of having 30k fans at a state semi-final are over...gen z unless they have a friend or family member playing could care less about going to watch high school football...that and the advent of live streaming services has taken many fans from the seats and placed them at home

2 minutes ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

The days of having 30k fans at a state semi-final are over...gen z unless they have a friend or family member playing could care less about going to watch high school football...that and the advent of live streaming services has taken many fans from the seats and placed them at home

Very much this. Watching it live on TV is a game changer. It affects both side though to. LH people will stay home and watch to not have to drive. We'll still bring enough to create havoc

5 minutes ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

You are 100% correct.  The days of a single game having 49,000 are over.  Championship Friday and Saturday at AT&T where you have three games a day, maybe you will get a huge crowd.  But, times have changed.  Kids and families today have too many entertainment options.  Watching on TV at home or on an iPad or telephone are too easy.  That's OK.  The people there will be loud and create a home field advantage.

2 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

was being serious. 

UIL is losing money on ticket sales and could pick the stadiums in the semis just like they do in other sports.

Good point.  I wonder if the UIL is losing ticket sales?  Honest question.  I don't know.  It would seem logical that streaming and TV options cut into ticket sales.  I'm sure someone, somewhere, is crunching the numbers.  I'm thankful to attend in-person, but I'm also thankful that the streaming and TV options exist for the times when I can't attend, which is most of the time thanks to work, kids, grandkids, and my wife giving me a never-ending list of things to do.

NRG's lower bowl holds 26,000. PNG did bring a large number but for them to reach the 12,000 range they would have needed to fill just shy of 1/2 of the bowl.  The PNG crowd filled most of the seats between the goal lines. Thus, leaving all end zone and angled corner seats empty other than those occupied by the band and drill team.  Likey 7500-8500 in the PNG crowd.  

13 minutes ago, 1989NDN said:

Good point.  I wonder if the UIL is losing ticket sales?  Honest question.  I don't know.  It would seem logical that streaming and TV options cut into ticket sales.  I'm sure someone, somewhere, is crunching the numbers.  I'm thankful to attend in-person, but I'm also thankful that the streaming and TV options exist for the times when I can't attend, which is most of the time thanks to work, kids, grandkids, and my wife giving me a never-ending list of things to do.

UIL gets a cut of all playoff tickets sold.

The UIL is going to get their money they are like the IRS. 

Give it a couple years and all semi games will be played at college fields so they can use replay like they do for state games.

3 minutes ago, Eazy said:

So, I wonder if the total attendance was 10K.  It seemed to be at least 3 to 1 PNG fans.  Maybe it was more. Not sure. 

Sat on Huntsville side as I mentioned in a few post. To say it was thin in number would be an understatement. Would take someone that sat on the PNG side to "guesstimate" how many section they could have filled.  Each section seats around 800.