Orangefield (7) @ Woodville (51) - FINAL

jdawg03

8 hours ago, TheOutsider said:

Let’s stop the “Orangefield don’t have those type of kids” when every year we watch state championship games and some teams look like Orangefield. 
Orangefield has tough, decently athletic kids most years and should be disciplined. Also maybe you hire a guy that is great hire, doesn’t want to coach at a big school, and wants to raise his family in a great community. Even it means not getting paid as much. 

No doubt Orangefield has tough, hard working kids.   And that’s a start to developing a program.    Most years, Orangefield lacks size, and speed.   Hard to win at an unrealistic level without that combination.

The Orangefield 4x100 record was broken last year.   Does anyone know how long the old record stood?   I was born in 1978, and it was set before I was born.   Orangefield lacks speed.

Orangefield kids are disciplined as well.  Despite their lack of athleticism, Smalley, and others have had success because of the work ethic, toughness, and discipline.   Not because they out athlete anyone.

Being the biggest school in your district and entire classification helps too.  As long as the Bobcats stay 3A-D1 they will be ok with Smalley, and most anyone else.

But even then, they have a ceiling.

On 12/9/2023 at 4:02 PM, MackLewis said:

No doubt Orangefield has tough, hard working kids.   And that’s a start to developing a program.    Most years, Orangefield lacks size, and speed.   Hard to win at an unrealistic level without that combination.

The Orangefield 4x100 record was broken last year.   Does anyone know how long the old record stood?   I was born in 1978, and it was set before I was born.   Orangefield lacks speed.

Orangefield kids are disciplined as well.  Despite their lack of athleticism, Smalley, and others have had success because of the work ethic, toughness, and discipline.   Not because they out athlete anyone.

Being the biggest school in your district and entire classification helps too.  As long as the Bobcats stay 3A-D1 they will be ok with Smalley, and most anyone else.

But even then, they have a ceiling.

I remember people saying PNG had a ceiling and wouldn't be able to beat teams like FBM but here they are in Dallas again.  Not saying OF is PNG, just saying it's all about the standard thats instilled in the team and community.  

7 hours ago, TheOutsider said:

I remember people saying PNG had a ceiling and wouldn't be able to beat teams like FBM but here they are in Dallas again.  Not saying OF is PNG, just saying it's all about the standard thats instilled in the team and community.  

I agree to a point.

PNG also has a history, culture, and quite a bit of talent.

PNG was no stranger to the 3rd and 4th round, they just needed to learn to play defense.   They went and found their answer.

OF has a long ways to go to be playing in Arlington.   They should be happy with the leader they’ve had.   Hiring a man to come in and take them from the 1st round, to the 3rd or 4th round would take a miracle.

Not that it shouldn’t be the goal, just don’t let the goal be the expectation.

13 hours ago, MackLewis said:

I agree to a point.

PNG also has a history, culture, and quite a bit of talent.

PNG was no stranger to the 3rd and 4th round, they just needed to learn to play defense.   They went and found their answer.

OF has a long ways to go to be playing in Arlington.   They should be happy with the leader they’ve had.   Hiring a man to come in and take them from the 1st round, to the 3rd or 4th round would take a miracle.

Not that it shouldn’t be the goal, just don’t let the goal be the expectation.

I agree with that. Goals are different than expectations. Good point.