WOS Volleyball

WOSdrummer99

2 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Maxpreps shows WOS hasn't won a match since 9-3-21. And currently ranked last of all 4A. Any ideas what the problems are here?

I am guessing that the WOS coach is not updating their full schedule and results. Surely they have played more than 7 games at this point. Someone probably needs to reach out to the coach to ask them why they are not updating this. 

3 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Maxpreps shows WOS hasn't won a match since 9-3-21. And currently ranked last of all 4A. Any ideas what the problems are here?

The sad reality of high school volleyball is that the sport is now highly dependent on club-level volleyball.  Not saying that schools can't be successful without a strong local, or regional, club presence...but it is highly unlikely.  From what I have seen in the triangle, the club volleyball presence is just not that strong.  Another issue could be the overall quality of coaching.  Not all high school VB coaches are bad, some are good, but MANY are stuck playing the game they knew....maybe....20 years ago.  Just like all sports, strategies evolve and volleyball is no different.

Regarding WOS, the girls program there is not top tier.  They regularly play lower classifications and lose in most team sports.  It could be coaching or not enough actual skilled athletes to play.  Skill has a lot to do with winning, not just athleticism.  WOS always has athletes, but some may not play for different reasons.  Like THS99 said, the club presence is not that strong in the Triangle.  To get on a truly good club team, you would have to be closer to Houston or other metro areas like SA or Austin. 

That said, I don't get the love for MaxPreps.  It's a tool that is available to coaches and as such, it is optional.  So what if a coach doesn't use it.  It's slightly useful as a record of games played if they are entered. Even then it's flawed.  I've seen games where a team won 3-2 but didn't even record the scores of the final two games.  Even the stat part can be flawed....if a coach puts stats on there, great, but are they reliable? Coaches pad stats all of the time.  A possible reason that coaches may not use MaxPreps is that they don't want other coaches to "scout" their games/scores/stats. I would bet not many college recruiters/scouts actually look at MaxPreps. 

These days, if a college scouts for volleyball players, they go to the club tournaments.  More likely to see way more players to recruit & more likely to see players that actually play well and know the game.  They very rarely go to the high school games anymore, if at all.  I can't even remember the last time I ever saw a college coach at a HS volleyball game.  8-10 years ago, maybe?

It has nothing to do with recruiting it’s just the right thing to do. Of course coaches may pad stats but they may pad them in the dark too so atleast this way there is some accountability. If you have a kid that has the highest hitting % in the houston area but don’t report to maxpreps how will that kid get any recognition? It’s just flat out lazy. Maxpreps is directly tied to the UiL so it really is a duty that for whatever reason small schools seem to think they’re exempt from.  

and give me a break about scouting , if I wanted to find film on Hardin volleyball I’m sure I could. There are no secrets and that is just an excuse to hide behind. If coaches don’t want to put the kids stats out there then I certainly don’t want to hear about a coaches wins records or how many “district  championships”  they have. It’s about the kids not the coaches. 

Agreed on why using MaxPreps is good for the girls.  Now the issue of incomplete and inaccurate stats is a MAJOR problem (historically some coaches will pad stats, shift stats from player to player, or omit errors completely), but ignoring MaxPreps completely robs the girls of visibility & recognition.  

Watching WOS only when we have played them over the last 4 years, the talent just isn't there.  We played them last night and we played pretty sloppy but won 25-8; 25-10; 25-12.  I would even go out on a limb and say that most of those girls do not touch a ball until their 7th grade or even 9th grade year.  They had maybe one good block each set and each time, they all went crazy with excitement.  Their coaching turnover rate for volleyball is also high I believe. 

54 minutes ago, Fortheloveofthegame said:

Watching WOS only when we have played them over the last 4 years, the talent just isn't there.  We played them last night and we played pretty sloppy but won 25-8; 25-10; 25-12.  I would even go out on a limb and say that most of those girls do not touch a ball until their 7th grade or even 9th grade year.  They had maybe one good block each set and each time, they all went crazy with excitement.  Their coaching turnover rate for volleyball is also high I believe. 

They were decent back in the early 2010s or late 2000s whenever Coach Kelly was there

5 minutes ago, BBfan061 said:

They were decent back in the early 2010s or late 2000s whenever Coach Kelly was there

Back then nobody was playing in clubs either so it was a pretty level playing field across the board.  However, certain Coach's have the ability to pull out the best in an athlete(s) and that alone will make a huge difference.  I also wonder what the enrollment numbers were twenty years ago compared to now. 

On 9/7/2023 at 2:26 PM, Fortheloveofthegame said:

Back then nobody was playing in clubs either so it was a pretty level playing field across the board.  However, certain Coach's have the ability to pull out the best in an athlete(s) and that alone will make a huge difference.  I also wonder what the enrollment numbers were twenty years ago compared to now. 

Clubs have been around since the early 90’s

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...