SpaceX

WOSdrummer99

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Everything after clearing the tower was icing on the cake. He's already got enough pieces to build more.

Yes.

You can watch about a 10 minute YouTube video of multiple NASA(and formerly NACA) test rockets exploding on the pad or soon after liftoff.

Certainly they wanted a completely successful flight but flying true for several minutes probably more than accomplished their testing goals. 

5 hours ago, baddog said:

Why doesn’t Musk invent an electric motor to launch his space vehicles? That appeared to be very polluting. Maybe because they don’t produce thrust?

I think Musk is the ultimate entrepreneur. He is trying to build the better mousetrap (EV) so the world will beat a path to his door.

He knows that people have been convinced to buy EVs and is providing what people are willing to pay for.

2 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I think Musk is the ultimate entrepreneur. He is trying to build the better mousetrap (EV) so the world will beat a path to his door.

He knows that people have been convinced to buy EVs and is providing what people are willing to pay for.

I actually like Musk. He knows fossil fuels are a need, not a luxury. I don’t have anything against electric cars other than they aren’t feasible. I have no problem with them being marketed as long as they aren’t forced with attempts to kill the oil industry. I saw this as almost a conflict of interest and thought my comment to be humorous.   

1 minute ago, baddog said:

I actually like Musk. He knows fossil fuels are a need, not a luxury. I don’t have anything against electric cars other than they aren’t feasible. I have no problem with them being marketed as long as they aren’t forced with attempts to kill the oil industry. I saw this as almost a conflict of interest and thought my comment to be humorous.   

The sarcasm is…. :) 

2 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

The sarcasm is…. :) 

I do worry about battery disposal, but that was discussed on another thread. 

I found it hard to believe that these rocket engines are more powerful than the shuttle rockets and boosters, but I looked it up and they are indeed.

9 minutes ago, baddog said:

I do worry about battery disposal, but that was discussed on another thread. 

I found it hard to believe that these rocket engines are more powerful than the shuttle rockets and boosters, but I looked it up and they are indeed.

I thought the Saturn V rocket was the most powerful machine ever built before this…. but I have not looked it up.  

Seems I read awhile back that the shuttle rockets were most powerful because the shuttle was as big as a semi, and when it launched, it took off quickly. The Apollo missions, we were glued to the screen hollering “go-go-go”. Wrong again. Lol

The Saturn V set a high bar for ambitious rocketeers, but Elon Musk's SpaceX has taken up the challenge.
Saturn V vs SpaceX Starship: Side-By-Side Comparison.
  SpaceX Starship Saturn V
Height 394 feet 363 feet
Diameter 30 feet 33 feet
Dry Weight 330 tons 207 tons
Payload 110 to 165 tons 48 to 118 tons

Copy/paste is working right. This is comparing the Spacex rocket to the Saturn V 

And it was by far the most ambitious. The Super Heavy rocket's 33 engines are capable of generating between 16 million and 17 million pounds of thrust. That's twice as powerful as the Saturn V rocketthat sent Apollo astronauts to the moon with 7.6 million pounds of thrust.