*WO-S 51 Coldspring 14 Final/Comments*

KFDM COOP

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fumbles have just tormented my Trojans this season.  This will be something that Coach Barbay will have address in the offseason.  I know the Trojans will be good again next year with Coach Barbay having a full off-season to put his whole program together.  Four fumbles in the second half just will not do it.  Good luck to WO-S next week against Giddings you guys have a really good football team. 

#20 was on a good team this year.  They had some troubles with getting down the offense and they had problems with turnovers late in the year.  Coldspring is back on it's upward swing of going to the playoffs every year and it will not be long before they are doing what the teams did in the 90's going very deep into the playoffs.  Nothing bad against WO-S but you guys had not done much until the last few years when you dropped down from 4a.  Coldspring has a few years of down teams.  Coldspring used to be a feared team in East Texas in 3a and with Coach Barbay their to bring back some of the traditions I think you will see a rise again to dominance within the district and deep into the playoffs. 

#20 was on a good team this year.  They had some troubles with getting down the offense and they had problems with turnovers late in the year.  Coldspring is back on it's upward swing of going to the playoffs every year and it will not be long before they are doing what the teams did in the 90's going very deep into the playoffs.  [glow=red,2,300]Nothing bad against WO-S but you guys had not done much until the last few years when you dropped down from 4a.[/glow]  Coldspring has a few years of down teams.  Coldspring used to be a feared team in East Texas in 3a and with Coach Barbay their to bring back some of the traditions I think you will see a rise again to dominance within the district and deep into the playoffs. 

What About 2000 when we got to state.

What About 2000 when we got to state.

It's amazing how people continue to say idiotic things against Wo-s. They also got to the semi's a couple of years ago...do your research. One things for certain. I don't care how good Coldsprings gets in the future...they better hope they don't run into Wo-s again.

Hmm. We dropped to 3A in 04. That first year, we didn't do much. But look:

2004: 7-4 (5-0 district) lost to Huffman round 1

2005: 12-1 (5-0 district) lost to DII Champ Wimberley in the semifinals

2006: 11-1 (7-0 district) lost to Giddings in area round

2007: 10-1 (7-0 district) TBD

"Except the last few years?" We've only been in 3a a "few years." Before that, in 4A, we went 8-2, 8-2, 5-5, 15-1, 7-3, 10-1, 12-1... which comes to a 105-22 record over the last 11 years (average of 10-2). Our last year in 4A was 03. In 00, we went 15-0 until we faced Ennis for the state championship. I'd say that's "doing much." If you're insinuating that we needed the drop to 3A to find success, remember that we've beaten the 22-4A district champs every year since we dropped (Beaumont Central, Nederland, Dayton, Dayton). Our last losing season was 1983. In 2001, we went 5-5. Other than that, we've always won at least seven games over the last 24 seasons - and usually several more than that. To see what we've "done," you can check my egotistical sig. under this post.

We used to be a feared team too. Still are most of the time. I don't know a lot of teams of any class that would like to face us in an elimination situation.

#20 was on a good team this year.  They had some troubles with getting down the offense and they had problems with turnovers late in the year.  Coldspring is back on it's upward swing of going to the playoffs every year and it will not be long before they are doing what the teams did in the 90's going very deep into the playoffs.  Nothing bad against WO-S but you guys had not done much until the last few years when you dropped down from 4a.  Coldspring has a few years of down teams.  Coldspring used to be a feared team in East Texas in 3a and with Coach Barbay their to bring back some of the traditions I think you will see a rise again to dominance within the district and deep into the playoffs. 

Jealousy is a BIT*H....

I love those quote things you do that is very funny.  Also the idiotic thing was very entertaining.  I never said one thing bad about WO-S.  I just said that since they dropped down to 3a they were a much better team and have done more things in the playoffs.  I agree WO-S has done some phenomenal things throughout their history. I just can't stand the arrogance that you guys have sometimes and the things that I have read the last couple of days.  You have a tremendous Coach in Coach Hooks.  I think a little humbleness would serve you well.  I didn't like the post saying that #20 was good wish he were on a good team.  That is a punch in the face to the kids who have practiced and played very hard this year.  If not for the silly fumbles in the second half this game could have been much different.  That is that old clique coulda, shoulda, woulda though.  So I want hang my hat on that.  I wish them good luck next week against Giddings.   

Second-half explosion propels WO-S past Coldspring

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

DAYTON — Like they've done all season long, the West Orange-Stark Mustangs used a second-half explosion to dismantle the Coldspring Trojans 51-14 Saturday evening in Class 3A Region III Division 11 bidistrict playoff action at Dayton's Bronco Stadium, giving long-time head coach Dan Hooks his 250th career win as the head man.

The seventh-ranked Mustangs will now take on the top-ranked Giddings Buffaloes in the second round Friday at 7 p.m. at Pearland's Oiler Stadium. It was Giddings that knocked out the Mustangs 20-13 last season. WO-S defeated Giddings on its way to the state semifinals in 2005.

Leading 12-7 at intermission, the seventh-ranked Mustangs (10-1) went on a 29-0 blast alone in the third quarter to send the Trojans (5-6) reeling.

Mustang junior quarterback Ortavious Hypolite rushed for three touchdowns and passed for two more in the onslaught.

The Mustangs racked up 427 total yards of offense while limiting the Trojans to 218.

Hypolite completed 7-of-10 passes for 154 yards. Senior receiver Ronnie Dennis hauled in four passes for 107 yards and two TDs. Senior running back DePauldrick Garrett darted for 96 yards on 11 carries while junior back Quintavious Garrett had 74 yards on 10 totes.

"It's hard to explain why we're such an excellent football team in the second half, but the kids have done it all year," said Hooks. "Coldspring came out in that first half and worked their gameplan well and kept the ball for long periods of time. In the second half, our offense dictated things with the running game and our defense created a bunch of turnovers."

As far as Hypolite's play?

"Ortavious was nervous that first half in his first playoff game and all," Hooks said. "After settling down, he became cool as a cucumber and ran the show with a tremendous third quarter that got us rolling."

The WO-S win offset a superb performance from Coldspring senior tailback Zavious Johnson, who roamed for 139 yards on 21 carries as he climbed over the 1,800-yard mark for the season.

"He's (Johnson) a good one and he came in with 1,600 yards for a reason," said Mustang defensive coordinator Cornel Thompson. "He got on the edge and got us a few times."

The Mustangs wasted little time jumping on the scoreboard, taking their first series of the game 61 yards in eight plays to hit paydirt.

Hypolite and the Garretts teamed up for 33 yards on the ground and Hypolite found Roderick Simmons on a perfectly executed screen pass that went for 28 yards down to the Trojan 8 and three plays later Hypolite bounced around the right side for a 3-yard quarterback keeper to make it 6-0 before the point-after kick failed with 3:54 left in the first period.

The Trojans answered on their next drive, using nine running plays to navigate 71 yards to go up 7-6 early in the second period. Johnson, who is being wooed by Georgia Tech and the University of Houston, carried five times for 63 yards, including a 47-yard touchdown gallop around the right end as he blew past the Mustang secondary. Johnathan Slover's extra-point boot was good as Coldspring grabbed a one-point edge with 10:43 remaining in the half. Johnson carried the leather 15 times for 95 yards in the first 24 minutes.

WO-S, however, quickly retaliated on their next series when Hypolite tossed a swing pass in the hands of leading receiver Ronnie Dennis and the senior did the rest, sprinting down the left sideline and completing the 64-yard touchdown toss with a tremendous leap into the end zone. Hypolite was stuffed on the two-point conversion run as the Mustangs led 12-7 with 10:26 in the second period.

WO-S received good field position at the Trojan 38 with 7:52 left in the half but an option pass by Mustang receiver Josh Rhodes was picked off by defensive back Earnest Wyatt at the 4.

The Mustangs outgained the Trojans 156-118 in the first half with Coldspring running 31 plays while WO-S ran just 17.

Hypolite completed 4-of-6 passes for 119 yards with Dennis catching two balls for 78 yards.

The Mustangs grinded out a long scoring drive, all on the ground, to open up the second half. WO-S churned out 66 yards in 11 plays with the Garretts combining for 58 of it on nine carries. However, it was Hypolite that took the honors as the burly junior quarterback barreled his way into the end zone on a 6-yard keeper up the middle. Hypolite then scored on a two-pointer to give WO-S a 20-7 edge with 6:39 left in the third.

"That was a typical Mustang drive to open up the second half," Hooks said. "We went to some power football and took it straight down and that took the wind out of their (Coldspring's) sails.â€

WO-S cashed in on Coldspring's first turnover of the game when Mustang defensive lineman Jacorey Roberts pounced on a fumble after a bad exchange between quarterback Chad Allen and Johnson at the Trojan 33 with 4:50 left in the third.

It didn't take long for the Garretts and the Mustang offensive front to find the end zone again. Quintavious Garrett had a 20-yard scamper to the 13 and then DePauldrick Garrett darted around the left side and side-stepped the sidelines to get into the end zone from 13 yards out. Another Hypolite two-point conversion run worked to put the Mustangs up 28-7 with 4:22 left in the third.

Coldspring's Earnest Wyatt returned the ensuing kickoff 60 yards to the WO-S 40. But Johnson coughed up the ball at the Mustang 39 after hauling in a screen as Mustang Adrian Steen pounced on the loose ball.

DePauldrick Garrett promptly got loose with one of his patented runs, this one going for 45 yards after he zipped up the middle and then hit the left sideline down to the 9. Two plays later Hypolite connected with Dennis on a 10-yard scoring toss to make it 35-0 with 2:52 still left in the third.

The Mustangs capitalized on yet another turnover as Kevin Robinson fell on an Allen fumble at the Trojan 26 with 1:59 left in the third.

Hypolite found Dennis with a 19-yard dart to the Trojan 1 and Hypolite scored again, this time on a 1-yard keeper to make it 41-7 with 0:57 still in the third.

The Trojans put together a seven-play, 73-yard scoring drive early in the fourth period. Johnson had a big 41-yard jaunt on the march and backfield mate James Scott, who had 69 yards on nine carries, capped it off with a 1-yard blast with 8:53 left in the game.

WO-S tacked on another TD with a little more than six minutes let when freshman quarterback Reggie Garrett tossed a 29-yard scoring toss to Rhodes.

Mustang kicker James Haynes put the final points on the board by nailing a 32-yard field goal with 0:33 left.

The victory was certainly sweet for the long-time Mustang head coach, who has led WO-S to two state titles (186, 1987) and two state runnerups (1988, 2000) in the Class 4A days.

"It doesn't seem like that many, it really doesn't, " said Hooks. "It seems like just yesterday I was coaching at Channelview and if we got a first down it was like a holiday. I've been fortunate enough to have a chance to work with great kids and a super coaching staff and you can't beat that."

Now it's on to Giddings, which should definitely be one of the top-rated games, if not the top one, in the state next week. Giddings downed Sealy 21-12 in bidistrict action Friday.

"It should be a good old-fashioned football game," Hooks said. "We got them two years ago and they came back and bit us last year. Both teams will have their chin straps buckled tight, you can count on that."

WO-S 51

Coldspring 14

WO-S 6 6 29 10 — 51

Cold 0 7 0 7 — 14

Scoring summary

WO-S – Ortavious Hypolite 3 run. Kick failed.

Coldspring – Zavious Johnson 47 run. Johnathan Slover kick.

WO-S – Ronnie Dennis 64 pass from Hypolite.. Run failed.

WO-S- Hypolite 6 run. Hypolite run.

WO-S – DePauldrick Garrett 13 run. Hypolite run.

WO-S – Dennis 10 pas from Hypolite. James Haynes kick.

WO-S- Hypolite 1 run. Kick failed.

Coldspring – James Scott 1 run. Slover kick.

WO-S – Josh Rhodes 29 pass from Reggie Garett. Haynes kick.

WO-S – Haynes 32 field goal.

———

WO-S Cold

First downs 22 11

Rushes-yards 37-241 44-217

Passing 186 1

Total yards 427 218

Comp-Att-Int 9-13-1 1-1-0

Fumbles-Lost 1-0 5-4

Penalties-Yards 2-10 1-15

———

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING—WO-S, DePauldrick Garrett 11-96, Quintavious Garrett 10-74, Kevin Robinson 5-37, Hypolite 6-23, Sam Dixon 3-9, Reggie Garrett 1-2, Terry Rubin 1-0. Coldspring, Zavious Johnson 21-139, Scott 9-69, Earnest Wyatt 5-23, Gary Brantley 1-2, Jamar Brooks 1-1, Colt Bennett 1-(-2), Chad Allen 6-(-15).

PASSING— WO-S, Hypolite 7-10-0 154, Garrett 2-2-0 32, Rhodes 0-1-1 0; Coldspring, Allen 1-1-0 1.

RECEIVING—WO-S, Dennis 4-107, Roderick Simmons 2-34, Rhodes 2-32, DePauldrick Garrett 1-13; Coldspring, Johnson 1-1.

Last four years in 3A: 40-7 (best year made it to SEMIFINALS in 05)

Last four years in 4A: 36-10 (best year - of those four - made it to FINALS in 00)

That's about a three-to-four game difference. Our record against 4A opponents since dropping is 9-3, and nine of those 12 teams made the 4A playoffs. Your post insinuated that we struggled in 4A our last few years. Realistically, we didn't make the playoffs our last two years despite an 80 percent winning percentage (stayed home on tiebreaker), had our worst year in 24 years in 01 (5-5), and made it to state in 00. We had dominant teams in 98, 97, 95, 93, 91, 90, 89, 88 (finalists), 87 (champs), 86 (champs) and 85 (in 5A).

Coldspring has only won one playoff game in the last 11 years. They've made the playoffs 13 times in 51 years (we've been 19 times in 30 years). Their record over the last decade is a combined 45-59 (43 percent). That's all in 3A. Our last 10 in 4A ALONE netted a combined record of 101-26 (80 percent). At this point, we've won 85 percent of our games since dropping to 3A. I just don't see how you can somehow compare Coldspring to us in some sort of a "there but by the Grace of God go I" fashion.

Sorry for the math/history lesson. When you're good, its' fun to look back.

I don't see how pointing out that #20 was a great player on a bad (yes, bad) team is somehow not being humble. Sorry.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder