12 year old atv

5GallonBucket

2 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

This is the hidden content, please

I see to many of these. Sad

@tvc184

Could parents face any type of justice for allowing a minor driving an atv?

In my opinion, yes and realistically, almost without question. Whether the DA will pursue charges is a different matter.

In my experience a DA will often let the parents slide, probably out of sympathy. 

I will add, it obviously depends on what happened and what can be proven. What if the 12 year old unknowingly took the keys and without any person’s consent or even knowledge?

What is an adult allowed  the children to use the ATV in the yard but they thought it would be fun to sneak onto the road for a few seconds?

To many “what ifs”. 

2 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I will add, it obviously depends on what happened and what can be proven. What if the 12 year old unknowingly took the keys and without any person’s consent or even knowledge?

What is an adult allowed  the children to use the ATV in the yard but they thought it would be fun to sneak onto the road for a few seconds?

To many “what ifs”. 

I see kids driving side by sides and atvs up and down my country road all the time.  It just seems extra dangerous to me.  The road is narrow, cars and trucks speed up and down it, and kids in general are dumb, and do dumb things.

13 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I hate articles like these.  Sometimes I feel like I'm overprotective of my girls (who are 9 and 6), but then you see stuff like this.  

I’m right there with you.

in my opinion it’s irresponsible and negligent.

no different then giving them keys to a motorcycle or a vehicle…..

Heart breaking article for sure. My son personally knew the kid that was killed along with another kid that was in the side by side. My son along with a large group of our church youth and our youth pastor went over the family’s house last night to pray with the family an give their condolences. Please keep this family in your prayers. Tough situation. 

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

I see kids driving side by sides and atvs up and down my country road all the time.  It just seems extra dangerous to me.  The road is narrow, cars and trucks speed up and down it, and kids in general are dumb, and do dumb things.

There is a reason that you have to be at least 16 years old to get a drivers license and then only if you took driver’s ed.

Everybody knows that but for some reason when it’s a cute vehicle like an ATV or a golf cart, all of a sudden the 12-year-old knows as much as a 30-year-old.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I'm torn... we always rode bikes, go-carts, dirt bikes, tractors, and even cars long before we got our drivers licenses.  But it definitely seems like a lot more kids are getting hurt these days. 

It is like talking in the phone while driving. You can talk to a person in the car with you and be perfectly aware of your surroundings. Talking on the phone changes that dynamic. Even on a classic landline phone, watch people‘s eyes while they are talking. They might be staring up in space or looking straight ahead but not seeing anything. Once you have that phone in your hand, it becomes about 90% of your concentration point. 

People riding in golf carts, ATVs, etc. are driving on a roadway as if they were driving on a golf course or in someone’s yard. They simply are not paying as much attention. Bicycles on the other hand, are almost exclusively ridden  on the road and you know that if you’re riding in the middle of the roadway, particularly at an intersection, you were facing danger. Even children perceive that. It is not that they cannot make mistakes and obviously children get killed on bicycles but they are aware that they are not a motor vehicle.

There are probably 500 times more bicycles with children on the roads (at least) than there are children driving golf carts and ATVs on the road  yet what are the likelihood of making a bad mistake with one  compared to the other? Even with hundreds of more times kids on bicycles, how many times do we hear serious injuries on them as compared to one of the “toy” vehicles? 

Like talking on the phone even when sitting at a desk, in my opinion it is the mindset of the person and not whether one is inherently more dangerous than the other.

With your example of driving a car on the road before you have a license, even 14 years old is well aware of the difference of a car and a bicycle. I just think that children driving ATVs and golf carts are not thinking the same way they would when with driving a car. Those off road vehicles are  just a bicycle by other means.