Week 1

PhatMack19

41 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Int in the endzone.  Florida will win.  #7 goes down 

An unranked SEC team beat the best team in the Pac.  This is why it’s dumb for the new 12 team playoff to give auto bids to 6 conference champs.  The Best 12 teams should make it.

* yes I know it’s week 1 and preseason rankings are crap 

23 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

An unranked SEC team beat the best team in the Pac.  This is why it’s dumb for the new 12 team playoff to give auto bids to 6 conference champs.  The Best 12 teams should make it.

Even if you're right, college presidents from the "lesser" conferences weren't now and would never have voted for only the top 12.   

For those in favor of an expanded playoff, this was about the only outcome you could truly REALISTICALLY hope to have had occur. Well, other than a complete break up of the NCAA (now there's an idea!).  

There should still be no less than 10 deserving teams in a given year. Better than 4, again if in favor of expansion. 

8 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

And just think when the conference adds two teams that will instantly be in its 3 most storied programs (as well as the top athletic department in the country for the past two years).  

But they absolutely are doing this the right way.  To not put emphasis on conference championships would have been untenable and beyond dumb. 

33 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I think it should be 16 teams. No team receives a bye.

That way you can include the 6 conference champs with the other 6 then add 4 more SEC teams. ;)

Since money drives...16 isn't a bad thought.  Now, I know many will disagree (heck I may), but that could be done with 10 conference champions.  The 1 and 2 seeds would get a sold out home game against a 3 to 4 touchdown underdog and a massive pay day. 

Honestly wish I knew more on the pay outs, but financially (depending on how this is set up) a 5 seed may be better off than a 1-4 in the present set up. 

Hypothetical...a 100,000 seat stadium with tickets, concessions, apparel, and whatever broadcasting rights would be huge. Ohio State meets San Diego State (Mountain West) with millions of dollars paid out.  Ohio State has a 95% or better win chance and San Diego State makes money as well.  Likely blow out, but the money still flows. 

I'm not advocating for this, just an educated idiot letting my mind flow here. 

4 hours ago, baddog said:

Aggies tuning in LHN. What could be better? Ewers came out a bit shaky but settled down and led the Longhorns to a 52-10 victory while covering a 37.5 point spread. Ewers ended up 16/24 for 255yds., 2 TDs and 1 INT. Not bad at all for a freshman QB.

Aggies kill me. So tough on my Horns while winning nothing.

There’s a reason we are the most watched team in the state, even when we go 5-7.  Ol aggy loves watching two teams - gomer and daddy. 

10 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Since money drives...16 isn't a bad thought.  Now, I know many will disagree (heck I may), but that could be done with 10 conference champions.  The 1 and 2 seeds would get a sold out home game against a 3 to 4 touchdown underdog and a massive pay day. 

Honestly wish I knew more on the pay outs, but financially (depending on how this is set up) a 5 seed may be better off than a 1-4 in the present set up. 

Hypothetical...a 100,000 seat stadium with tickets, concessions, apparel, and whatever broadcasting rights would be huge. Ohio State meets San Diego State (Mountain West) with millions of dollars paid out.  Ohio State has a 95% or better win chance and San Diego State makes money as well.  Likely blow out, but the money still flows. 

I'm not advocating for this, just an educated idiot letting my mind flow here. 

NCAA gets the gate on all other postseason tourneys and makes some stupid rules as far as home field PA, announcer, traditions etc.  

You did bring up an interesting point.  The first round is hosted by the higher seed.  Is the NCAA going to allow San Diego St to host 30,000 people or rig the seeding to allow a team that can fit 100K in their stadium?  I have a feeling they will follow the money. 

15 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

NCAA gets the gate on all other postseason tourneys and makes some stupid rules as far as home field PA, announcer, traditions etc.  

You did bring up an interesting point.  The first round is hosted by the higher seed.  Is the NCAA going to allow San Diego St to host 30,000 people or rig the seeding to allow a team that can fit 100K in their stadium?  I have a feeling they will follow the money. 

Odds are if it were to expand with more conference champions being part or all of the 4 additions, a Mountain West or Sunbelt or MAC school would be the bottom 3 seeds if it were based on actual quality of teams.   

The NCAA is losing power over football and money will almost assuredly be finding its way to the schools in the new and any future system. 

If they do go to 10 conference champions in the future that would be every present FBS conference champion.  Simply don't see it happening.....but really interesting comparison with other college sports post seasons.   Conference champion/tournament winners in baseball, basketball,  softball etc.  However, those tournaments are much larger in terms of numbers.  

Fun thought would be an in state school playing a big boy tight at half time.  Tulane vs LSU, Ohio vs Ohio State, dare I say Texas State vs. Big 12 or SEC Texas based school.  Create some high drama with such a situation. 

If the seedings were appropriate you really could see this.  

This present 12 team set up will be interesting with regards to seeding.  Will conference opponents be disallowed in the first round?