DCTF 6A Pre-season Top 10

57 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

I dont think I've ever stated who matches up with who etc....I think in some years Katy matches up with anyone obviously (2015)....but I dont think it can be ignored that the vast majority of Katy's success comes when they are D2 either....its all factual context to paint the picture...I think its pretty clear the past few years where the power in 6A has been and Katy has probably been on the fringe of that power nexus

Now I personally believe Duncanville has been better than Katy in 2018, 2019 and 2021....2020 I think you could make a good case for Katy, especially late in the year when they were peaking......but every year is its own story and what happened in 2015 or 1998 or 2010 doesnt mean anything going into this year

Agreed. 2021 doesn't mean anything going into this year either, as it is a new season. The genesis of the debate was whether SLC could "match up" with Duncanville (and later Katy). Duncanville is currently a strong program as is SLC and Katy. The hypothetical between Duncanville and Katy can currently be nothing more than hypothetical.

Regardless of who "would win" any of the match ups, there is absolutely no rationale case to be made for Katy or SLC "not holding their own" or "matching up" against any team in the state on any given year (I know that was not your statement but others). Katy and SLC were winning big, long before and during Duncanville current hot streak. And SLC is currently ranked 3 with DV ranked 4. Someone, somewhere thinks SLC is better to some extent. 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

Agreed. 2021 doesn't mean anything going into this year either, as it is a new season. The genesis of the debate was whether SLC could "match up" with Duncanville (and later Katy). Duncanville is currently a strong program as is SLC and Katy. The hypothetical between Duncanville and Katy can currently be nothing more than hypothetical.

Regardless of who "would win" any of the match ups, there is absolutely no rationale case to be made for Katy or SLC "not holding their own" or "matching up" against any team in the state on any given year (I know that was not your statement but others). Katy and SLC were winning big, long before and during Duncanville current hot streak. And SLC is currently ranked 3 with DV ranked 4. Someone, somewhere thinks SLC is better to some extent. 

Yes the computers like Carroll over DV and I dont see why honestly....Duncanville has physically whipped Carroll in 3 of the 4 meetings the past four years with the margin being 44, 14 and 26...pretty dominant if you ask me.....I'm just not super high on Katy going into 2022 at the moment but I think we'll know pretty soon about Katy because KISD overall is stronger than its been in a long time and with Westlake likely going D1 I think Katy could easily play for a title this year, which I think is more an indictment on D2 in Reg 3 and Reg 4 right now in 6A

Ranking Westlake number 1 is a bit of a stretch.  Without playing a game, these rankings mean absolutely nothing.  I know they rank by what they did last year.  Which means nothing.  Plus they rank by what a team has returning.  Which means a little. 

Westlake:   New coach that has never been a HC.  New offensive coordinator calling plays.  Depending on what the new HC does, there'll probably be a new defensive coordinator calling plays.  In my opinion it's going to be tough to lose an elite coach and being replaced by an individual with no HC experience.  

But, according to some here, it doesn't matter who the HC is.  It's all about the talent.  So -- this new HC now has the same talent pool available to him as Dodge did.  Therefore -- we should pencil in Westlake for at least the next 3 State Championships!  

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Westlake:   New coach that has never been a HC.  New offensive coordinator calling plays.  Depending on what the new HC does, there'll probably be a new defensive coordinator calling plays.  In my opinion it's going to be tough to lose an elite coach and being replaced by an individual with no HC experience.  

This scenario sounds very familiar.

Elite coaches aren't elite until they are.

53 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

This scenario sounds very familiar.

Elite coaches aren't elite until they are.

You are right:  Elite status is earned.  Dodge has and Salazar has yet to.  But, again, according to some here, Westlake's new HC should make Elite status by year two.  Reminder:  two or more State Titles are needed to earn Elite status.  With the same talent pool that Dodge had available, the two State Titles in the first two years for the new Westlake HC it should be a cake walk!  Unless it's not about, oh never mind!  LOL!

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

You are right:  Elite status is earned.  Dodge has and Salazar has yet to.  But, again, according to some here, Westlake's new HC should make Elite status by year two.  Reminder:  two or more State Titles are needed to earn Elite status.  With the same talent pool that Dodge had available, the two State Titles in the first two years for the new Westlake HC it should be a cake walk!  Unless it's not about, oh never mind!  LOL!

He has 7 years to do it according to you. 

7 hours ago, Reagan said:

He has a similar talent pool but not the same....namely he doesnt have a 5-star QB running the offense...there will be a drop off with Westlake's offense IMO w/o question, now I think the defense is still good enough to get the job done.....Salazar still has to prove himself, yes and its different being the man in charge, but this is going to be much different Westlake team than last year simply because of the QB spot

On 7/14/2022 at 5:32 PM, 89Falcon said:

The genesis of the debate was whether SLC could match up with Duncanville "physically" right now. You brought up their 7 state titles which some of which were in 3A in the 90's. What the heck does that have to do with SLC's athletes today matching with Duncanville? Duncanville has played for 3 of the last 4 6A-D1 titles to SLC's one. I used Katy as an example because they've been even more successful than SLC and the same thing still applies to them regarding different teams . 

I never mentioned a hypothetical between Katy and Duncanville either. I used a factual example with them and North Shore which has several recent iterations that reflect the point I'm making. 

On 7/16/2022 at 11:16 PM, Matthew328 said:

He has a similar talent pool but not the same....namely he doesnt have a 5-star QB running the offense...there will be a drop off with Westlake's offense IMO w/o question, now I think the defense is still good enough to get the job done.....Salazar still has to prove himself, yes and its different being the man in charge, but this is going to be much different Westlake team than last year simply because of the QB spot

I think you'll see more of a dropoff in Westlake's offense after next year. If healthy I think Paxton Land is going to have a huge year since he still has Greathouse and Kubecka on the outside to win 1v1 matchups. He's definitely not the athlete Klubnick was and it's highly unlikely he possesses the accuracy but he's a big kid with a big arm and can move, he's more in the Nick Foles mold. They're still very good on the o-line and Kayser is one year older after having a good sophomore season at RB.

My biggest question is can they continue this sick defensive run they've been on the last few years? I just looked and over the last 46 games they've only given up 8.5ppg which is pretty impressive considering 18 of those games were against playoff teams. I also just noticed in addition to their three consecutive titles Westlake has won 40 games in a row. No pressure for Salazar at all, I'm sure the Chap fans will give him time? We laugh about our "seven year poster" on here but you can guarantee Westlake is one place where his theory will hold water. 

7 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The genesis of the debate was whether SLC could match up with Duncanville "physically" right now. You brought up their 7 state titles which some of which were in 3A in the 90's. What the heck does that have to do with SLC's athletes today matching with Duncanville? Duncanville has played for 3 of the last 4 6A-D1 titles to SLC's one. I used Katy as an example because they've been even more successful than SLC and the same thing still applies to them regarding different teams . 

I never mentioned a hypothetical between Katy and Duncanville either. I used a factual example with them and North Shore which has several recent iterations that reflect the point I'm making. 

Understood. The conversation continued with other participants and took different turns which were not chronicled in the quote you cited. SLC is ranked #3. DV is ranked #4. It is common for the higher ranked teams to "match up" with lower ranked teams in "real time". When teams are ranked "higher", someone, somewhere believes the higher ranked team to be superior (an at least match up) to the lower ranked team.

DV has done very well in the last few years which is why they are impressively ranked #4. Dave Campbell's Texas Football believes that only three teams are better than DV. One of the teams that Dave Campbell's Texas Football rates higher than DV is SLC.