While worrying about Matthew McConaughey, the Marines have given their opinion….

tvc184

12 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I wouldn’t necessarily go with either. The former Marine is a dork. 

Correct. Given the option of background checks or a required school to allow you  to even purchase a gun and annual mandatory training and permit….  I would opt for the background check before I buy a firearm. 

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Can you imagine? Not knowing that an individual was kicked out of school 2 weeks before their 18th birthday due to terroristic threats. And now wants to legally purchase deadly weapons.

Am I correct in thinking? Currently anything they did as a juvenile is not public record.

Not sure. I thought if a juvenile committed a “crime” , terroristic threat as you say, they were put in the system. TVC will know…..

I still think it’s too much control going after school records

Just now, thetragichippy said:

Not sure. I thought if a juvenile committed a “crime” , terroristic threat as you say, they were put in the system. TVC will know…..

Yes he will...

Depends on how its used. We as society have to start doing something. We owe it to the kids that can't defend themselves. Pray for our schools.

50 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Yes he will...

Depends on how its used. We as society have to start doing something. We owe it to the kids that can't defend themselves. Pray for our schools.

I agree we need to do something for our schools, but something that will work, not something that will give us a false sense of accomplishment. 7 of 10 school shootings the shooters have been under 18, and obviously didn’t purchase the guns legally. It goes back to TVC and his point about removing semi-auto rifles only affecting 2% (from memory I may be off a little) of gun deaths. 

To me, arming teachers and improving school security is the most logical and effective answer.

11 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

I agree we need to do something for our schools, but something that will work, not something that will give us a false sense of accomplishment. 7 of 10 school shootings the shooters have been under 18, and obviously didn’t purchase the guns legally. It goes back to TVC and his point about removing semi-auto rifles only affecting 2% (from memory I may be off a little) of gun deaths. 

To me, arming teachers and improving school security is the most logical and effective answer.T

Couldn't agree more.

5 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Can you imagine? Not knowing that an individual was kicked out of school 2 weeks before their 18th birthday due to terroristic threats. And now wants to legally purchase deadly weapons.

Am I correct in thinking? Currently anything they did as a juvenile is not public record.

A 17 year old in Texas is not a juvenile.

Terroristic Threat is a misdemeanor.

Being kicked out of school has no known tracking record that I have ever heard of that would show up on a background check.

Part of a problem (not necessarily shootings) in general is that schools at least in my experience, either cover up or fail to report or take action on crimes. As an example, I was working at a school as an off duty job and witnessed an assault. It was not even a fight but just an assault. A teacher tried to step between two students and one reached over the teacher and hit the other one face. Student that got hit was being intimidated by the other or basically bullied.

After my partner and I arrested the 18 year old student, the school officials tried to intervene, have us let the guy go and allow them to handle it. Uhhhhhh…… no.

I believe that is a regular occurrence. Right or wrong? We can argue the point but it happens and probably way more than anyone can guess. 

3 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

Like all state laws, it varies state by state. In Texas juvenile records are sealed and not considered a crime. They are charged with Delinquent Conduct and a criminal act justifies the DC charges. If a child is certified as an adult for example at 15 years old, it is then part of his official adult record.

However, once certified, not always certified. If certified by a judge, a juvenile is only an adult for that crime. So a 15 is taken into custody for felony Aggravated Assault. A judge certifies him an adult and he gets a trial date just like any other adult. So the trial is set for 8 months later. The day after he is certified, be gets out and is arrested for another crime. Yep, he is a juvenile again. It is not like being emancipated.

So when talking about school records and juvenile laws, it goes state by state. For a federal background check to show such a school or juvenile records, you would need a new law. You would need some kind of mandatory school records, juvenile records national database law for it to show up. Good luck with that.

A state could enact such a law that only applies to that state. I don’t envision that happening in Texas. 

I will throw this out there, I haven’t looked into juvenile law in maybe 6 years or so. Those are the laws as I believe they still exist. If somebody can say that yes they changed the law on what should be reported, I am not aware of it. I used to have the office number and personal cell phone number for the head of the Juvenile Division for the DA. Anytime I had a question I would contact that person direct. Like I said, it has been a few years since I have made inquiries into the current Texas law but I believe they are still the same. 

An average of 350 people are killed with rifles of any type each year. That is not bad shooting, it is all rifle homicides.

There are about 9,000 gun murders each year. If you could remove every single rifle from every single person‘s hand in the United States, you were at the most take away 4% of the murders. That is only assuming that the person simply won’t go to a shotgun or handgun. You know that is BS because if a person can’t get his hand on a rifle, he would just go to another firearm.

I can only think of one school shooting with a rifle had anything to do with it what really made a difference. That was an 11-year-old and a 13-year-old in Arkansas about 30 years ago where they stayed away from the school and pulled the fire alarm and shot people as they came out from long range.

Just like the Luby‘s in Killeen, Texas and the  Virginia Tech shooter, it was all handguns. They are actually easier to conceal, much easier to carry large quantities of ammo and up close where most of the shootings happen, just as deadly and usually faster.

To put it in a nutshell, this is an attempt to band raffles when rifles are not the problem. Had this shooter going into the same classroom in Uvalde with a 9 mm handgun, he could have killed just as many children, just as fast.

What will restricting AR15‘s due to that? Absolutely nothing. Klebold and Harris went into Columbine HS in the first well known HS mass shooting and they were under age to buy handguns yet they had handguns. How could that be, it wasn’t legal???

Anyone that cannot see this as getting a foot in the door to try to get guns away from private citizens, is not paying much attention.

I guess this is the reality or logic in some people’s minds. I kid has severe mental problems and says I’m going to go shoot up a school. He finds out that he cannot get his hands on a rifle but he can get his hands on a pistol. He then gives up on his plans because he does not want to kill 30 children with a handgun.