Should Spring Football Be Allowed In 3A?

Should Spring Football Be Allowed In 3A?  

1. 1. Should Spring Football Be Allowed In 3A?

The debate is where in a 3a school you might have 30 people on a team, and a possibility of half of them being on the baseball team. This is not as worried about with 4a, and 5a schools due to numbers. I do believe all teams in any classification should have the choice just as the top end schools.

I think it should be made available to the 3A schools. However, I don't know that if I were a coach, I'd avail myself to it. Remember that if you do spring practice in 4A-5A, you must start during the summer later. If I am an established program (i.e the coach has been there a while and has his offense/defense installed) I'd rather the extra time at the beginning of the school year.

Well, I do understand at small schools there may be a problem of availability. But I think that effect should be weighed by the coach and AD's at the individual schools, not globally by the UIL.

If a coach believes that the effectiveness of the spring practice would be compromised by the absence of his football players participating in other sports that would be a major reason to forego the practice and start earlier in the summer. But that should be the decision of the individual school.

Well practicing in this lovely weather we have here in AUGUST would tend to make one want to have spring ball......................BUT there isnt anything to WHIP you into shape like that August heat..................If you make through that around here with pads on you have done something.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ECBucFan

Well, then 2A, then A would be asking....Seems like things are getting out of hand in some ways. 3 1A teams are going to the playoffs, even though a number of 1A schools don't even field teams....and isn't 4 5A teams per district going to go, to? Whats next? Let ALL schools make the playoffs? Let ALL play spring ball? It's gonna open a can of worms!

• 2 weeks later...

Well' date=' then 2A, then A would be asking....Seems like things are getting out of hand in some ways. 3 1A teams are going to the playoffs, even though a number of 1A schools don't even field teams....and isn't 4 5A teams per district going to go, to? Whats next? Let ALL schools make the playoffs? Let ALL play spring ball? It's gonna open a can of worms![/quote']

These are 2 completely different issues. I do not think you can paint them both with the same brush. You can do 1 without the other.

I agree with Grad, it should be available for 3A. This is an old rule and needs to be revised. With the increasing enrollment of 3A schools, I do not think that participation is as big an issue as it was at one time. I think it should be changed and left to the AD's discretion.

Guest ECBucFan

Yes, two different issues, but a good analogy. The reason I purposely used it was because "two teams for 5A" in the playoffs started it all off. Now stuff is getting out of hand.

Yes' date=' two different issues, but a good analogy. The reason I purposely used it was because "two teams for 5A" in the playoffs started it all off. Now stuff is getting out of hand.[/quote']

I realize the point you're trying to make and I agree that the playoffs are "watered down" because of the number of teams making the playoffs. I just do not agree that you can connect the 2 because the playoffs is one issue and spring practice is another. I just do not think it's a very good analogy (no offense). 3A being allowed to practice in the spring will not, in any way, do anything to water down the playoffs in 3A or at any other level nor can I see how it could be considered a negative in any way, with the exception of the concern with participation in spring sports which was the reason for the original rule to begin with.

Also, not wanting rules changed just because some have been changed to something you see as a negative (like the number of playoff teams), really is not reasonable, especially when the rule needing to be changed is an old one and out of date.

Just my .02. :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder