Former SETX Stars in the NCAA Tournament

1 hour ago, whsalum said:

I remember being in the civic center the night Louisiana Tech ended our home court winning streak at 88 games I believe it was. We had the longest streak in the nation. ESPN was in the house. Karl Malone and Wille Simmons ( I think that was his last name) were just to much on the block. Great teams 

I remember that. Tech had some great teams back in those days. It was almost always them and LU at top of the old SLC. USL, NE Louisiana and McNeese had pretty good programs back then, too. That conference was deep...

49 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I remember that. Tech had some great teams back in those days. It was almost always them and LU at top of the old SLC. USL, NE Louisiana and McNeese had pretty good programs back then, too. That conference was deep...

Yes it was. The Southland conference had power ratings right in the middle of the pack back in those days  not dead last.

Also, the year La. Tech ended the Cardinals 80 game home court winning streak the Cardinals ended the regular season with a 25-4 record. Under the few sources that were not biased they were ranked about 20 in power rating and should have received an at large bid. That was the time Pat Foster coined the phrase that the NCAA selection committee was "white collar criminals".

1 hour ago, snakehead26 said:

Yes it was. The Southland conference had power ratings right in the middle of the pack back in those days  not dead last.

Also, the year La. Tech ended the Cardinals 80 game home court winning streak the Cardinals ended the regular season with a 25-4 record. Under the few sources that were not biased they were ranked about 20 in power rating and should have received an at large bid. That was the time Pat Foster coined the phrase that the NCAA selection committee was "white collar criminals".

He was right. That was a great team that got jilted.

6 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

Yes sir Dumars was at McNeese, he was special.

14 hours ago, snakehead26 said:

James Gulley from Newton was on those last of the good teams.

Tic Price was assistant coach at Chattanooga when we lost to them in NIT. That was an overtime game. I believe Lamar had about a 7 point lead with a minute left and gave it up before going to overtime.

yea they fouling lamar and they couldn’t make a free thrown 

someone won 25k with half court shot at half time 

11 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

anthony toney from use raging cajuns lit it up

18 minutes ago, catfever said:

I would say the product hasn't been worth packing the stands for.  Also, the university could do some more promotional to get more students and fans to the games.  Hopefully both of these things can change.

Winning will fix these issues. They just need to figure out how to do it. It might take something gimmicky like UNLV and Loyola Marymount used to do. Make the style fun for the players and fans. Find good shooters in the transfer portal, let the defense create offense and RUN. 

1 hour ago, Bulldogs92 said:

Winning will fix these issues. They just need to figure out how to do it. It might take something gimmicky like UNLV and Loyola Marymount used to do. Make the style fun for the players and fans. Find good shooters in the transfer portal, let the defense create offense and RUN. 

Get some of those teams that can get the 100 point free chicken night

On 3/19/2022 at 5:30 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

THIS!!!

And likely a Sweet 16 appearance.

lets not get carried away.  I'll give you "possibly" a sweet 16 appearance.  it would depend a lot on their seed and their matchups.  an 8/9 seed would've been fair for them, and i don't think it's likely they would beat any of the #1s to make the sweet 16.

1 hour ago, The Observer said:

stock up on local talent instead of letting them get away 

stock up on shooters - when you can score anything can happen

run and gun 

fan interaction 

community interaction 

summer camps for local kids 

not sure what all will truly produce attendants with wins but gotta start somewhere 

maybe a better incentive for local players - not sure what all the ncaa rules are now - but student has opportunity to stay at home vs if moving off has room and board cost - but if way to waive certain cost for local athletes to make staying home more appealing - 

i would rather have a small tax increase for all areas in triangle to offset cost and keep all athletes, band, academic students in our area 

10 hours ago, whsalum said:

Yes sir after the move from the civic center. Lord I’ve even seen over 10k in the Montagne for the women’s games. Hard to believe we went from hosting an NIT tournament game to what we see in the stands these days. 

Remember when Lamar hosted Texas back in 1997 or 98. That place was PACKED!!!

1 hour ago, navydawg31 said:

I was thinking it was like 95 when that happened… 

Yes 95 is correct. The biggest crowds were at the McNeese games in the 80s.  Also, in calendar year 1985 over two seasons some very large crowds:  La. Tech ranked #12 at the time with Malone  and Lamar beat them; Houston and Chattanooga in the NIT tournament; then Villanova the prior year's national champion in late 1985 and LSU who was ranked #9 at the time they came in.

26 minutes ago, snakehead26 said:

Yes 95 is correct. The biggest crowds were at the McNeese games in the 80s.  Also, in calendar year 1985 over two seasons some very large crowds:  La. Tech ranked #12 at the time with Malone  and Lamar beat them; Houston and Chattanooga in the NIT tournament; then Villanova the prior year's national champion in late 1985 and LSU who was ranked #9 at the time they came in.

I remember the LSU game in 85… the glory days of LU… boy do I wish some how some way those days can come back around. 

the last time I remember LU being somewhat packed was when LU beat Texas Tech in 2008.