4A State Championship Game, HJ vs Brownsboro/BB 50 HJ 49

They did, Charlie Callier, incredible player, IN 5A. Big difference in talent from 5A to 4A. HJ is a 4A school with the top recruit in the entire state at any classification and also has a lot of other talent. Sneed is a D1 talent as well. HJ had FAR MORE talent than any other 4A team the last 2 seasons and couldn’t win, especially in tonight’s game. 

1 minute ago, Cherokee88 said:

Unreal this happens.... do you think HJ overlooked them? To my knowledge Brownsboro was not some sort of state or national power. Last year I thought the bright lights got the young hawks.... This year not so much. Pretty shocking really.

They were the best team in the state tonight. Played some really good basketball 

Brownsboro played great, no doubt, credit to them. What I’m saying is this...HJ beats that team 9 times out of 10, you can’t allow that 1 time to be the one that counts. When you have FAR more talent, you have to win when it counts. Just like last season for HJ, far more talent than Canyon, couldn’t get it done. When you’re the most talented team 4 years in a row and don’t win, it’s not the talent, it’s the coaching. 

Fair enough, well played. Just curious, how much other talent did Atlanta have? Any other players that played D1 in his 4 years? Any other players even play at the next level?  I genuinely don’t know, just asking. HJ does, at least 3 or so since Jackson has been there. 

48 minutes ago, KPBall said:

Brownsboro played great, no doubt, credit to them. What I’m saying is this...HJ beats that team 9 times out of 10, you can’t allow that 1 time to be the one that counts. When you have FAR more talent, you have to win when it counts. Just like last season for HJ, far more talent than Canyon, couldn’t get it done. When you’re the most talented team 4 years in a row and don’t win, it’s not the talent, it’s the coaching. 

This is not the NBA when your in a 7 game series , it’s like the college tournament all it takes is to be better that one time no matter who has the best talent 

I agree it’s not the NBA, not tonight at least. Buuuuut, it’s not that far off, at least not the point I’m trying to make. Which is, HJ was the MOST TALENTED team in 4A for 4 STRAIGHT years and didn’t win 1 Title. So in NBA terms, they were the best team in the Finals and got swept 4-0...not good. 

I think y’all are being a little hard on Fogo.  They were unlucky to win last year, and HJ just played poorly last night.  He can’t shoot for them, and they missed a ton of free throws, wide open threes, and layups.   That also kept them out of the press, which is their bread and butter.  Coaching aside, if they shoot even marginally better in those three areas they win by 12-15 points.  

• Bobcat1 changed the title to 4A State Championship Game, HJ vs Brownsboro/BB 50 HJ 49
10 hours ago, Cherokee88 said:

Unreal this happens.... do you think HJ overlooked them? To my knowledge Brownsboro was not some sort of state or national power. Last year I thought the bright lights got the young hawks.... This year not so much. Pretty shocking really.

Yes, i think they overlooked them

I thought I heard  on the TV broadcast that Brownsboro had 9 Seniors. And they had all played together since they were little. 

Very good team,  they have at least 1 D1 Senior. Paris ?   And they said they had a game plan to be aggressive from the start and not allow Jackson to take over.   

HJ just couldn’t make a shot.  Not sure what  happened .  Hate that it happens on the biggest stage.   

13 hours ago, KPBall said:

Fair enough, well played. Just curious, how much other talent did Atlanta have? Any other players that played D1 in his 4 years? Any other players even play at the next level?  I genuinely don’t know, just asking. HJ does, at least 3 or so since Jackson has been there. 

TBH idk, just answered a question you posted. Don’t have a clue about the rest. 

19 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Definitely was wrong in my prediction on how this would go.  Brownsboro has shot better than they are and HJ has played down to them.  Maybe a letdown from getting argyle from the semis

I agree, I think the Argyle game took a lot out of them. I told Ms. Scientist this very thing, that I was afraid of an HJ hangover from the semis. 

I don't think Brownsboro is being given enough credit here. They had a great plan, played tenacious D, and was deadly accurate most of the game. Part of H-J's struggles were a result from Brownsboro efforts. Not all but enough to make the difference. This was not a fluke, Brownsboro worked, executed, and earned the win.  

There seems to be a lot of excuses being made.

I’m sorry, but when you have the #1 recruit in Texas (McDonald’s All American) on a 4A team who is not devoid of talent besides her and you don’t win State at least once in 4 years, there is blame to go around.

HJ was easily the most talented 4A team in State the last two years.  Should have won last year, and most definitely should have won this year especially after slaying Argyle.

Not implying it’s all on the coaches because kids have to perform in crunch time. But that staff will be wondering how they let it slip away for years to come. 

19 hours ago, KPBall said:

In the four years Jackson has been there, three girls have went on to play JUCO, one her Freshman year, she went to Angelina JC and didn’t play much and only stayed her Freshman year. The other two graduated Jacksons Sophomore year, one has played at Coastal Bend JC and has performed really well, the other went to Hill College, but ended up not playing, but went back to Jacksonville College this year in January and have no idea how she did. Nobody this year is graduating and committed to play somewhere in College.

Next year, Beavers is projected to get Div 1 scholarship offers and the year after that Sneed is projected to get Div 1 scholarships. I don’t know of any others on the current roster projected to go play after High School, I could be wrong, but I don’t know any of the younger ones.

3 hours ago, OneChance said:

In the four years Jackson has been there, three girls have went on to play JUCO, one her Freshman year, she went to Angelina JC and didn’t play much and only stayed her Freshman year. The other two graduated Jacksons Sophomore year, one has played at Coastal Bend JC and has performed really well, the other went to Hill College, but ended up not playing, but went back to Jacksonville College this year in January and have no idea how she did. Nobody this year is graduating and committed to play somewhere in College.

Next year, Beavers is projected to get Div 1 scholarship offers and the year after that Sneed is projected to get Div 1 scholarships. I don’t know of any others on the current roster projected to go play after High School, I could be wrong, but I don’t know any of the younger ones.

Asia Wheeler has done well the next level, albeit small school, but very successful. I’m including Beavers and Sneed in my original post. That’s my point. This is a 4A team with a McDonalds All American and #1 recruit in Texas, with 2 other future D1 players. That’s an ABUNDANCE of talent at a 4A school. Not to mention all 3 play different positions, PG, SF/EVERYTHING and PF/C, a PERFECT mix of talent. The talent gap in that game last night was astronomical. It’s an ENORMOUS disappointment this team never won a State Title the last 4 years. If you think different, you’re absolutely kidding yourself...PERIOD.