Game ruined?

warfan

How do you folks feel about the way volleyball is now being played?  First, rally score, what's up with that, supposed to make the games shorter (didn't work). Second, all the pushes and throws that are allowed. I know they are still not allowed but I think the officials can't tell the difference between a clean set or a throw or push. What happend to bump, set, spike? I do like being able to spike from the backcourt and the serve. And the player in the odd jersey, It's like tag wrestling.  I guess I'm just getting too old when a volleyball rule change upsets me. ;D

I see what you are saying...  However, rally scoring does make the game shorter.  Can you imagine not getting a point until you serve (sideout scoring) and get a point then.  A few years ago, we had the sideout scoring rule and games typically took 2 1/2 hrs to complete for just one match.

The libero rule was brought down from the college ranks and this helps to prepare possible college players for a college style game so I am for that.

But I do agree with you on the push/throws.  There are a lot of officials out there that don't really know the difference between a legit bump and a carry.  The one that really gets me is the setter double-hitting (hands hitting the ball like 1-2, instead of a simultaneous hit) on the set pass.  Another thing that gets me is that during the regular season, the linesmen (who call the lines) are typically recruited from the volleyball teams attending the match and I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with them saying in/out when it is obviously the opposite in order to aid their own team.  Not saying it happens all the time, but it happens too much for my taste.

volleyball is changing as time goes on. some of the new rules ...rally scoring, libero etc. have been brought in to keep america up with the international community. high school volleyball is the last place that finally changed to rally scoring.

the allowing double contacts on the first ball over, and trying to loosen up on some of the calling (honestly, i haven't seen high schools loosen up much, they are just inconsistent) is to help speed the game up. let's be honest volleyball is not really a spectator sport. many fans don't have any idea what calls are being made by the officials. some of the rules are to help keep the game moving at a little faster pace.

it's not a matter of liking it or hating it, but adapting to it.

as far as officials in our area.... i have seen many officials from the houston chapter...... we are blessed here with at most of our refs at least knowing the rules!

i love this sport. i play it and coach it still. it has changed a lot over the last 10 years, but i hope it will catch on more and more so there will be more people involved and not discouraged because they are finding it easier to understand......maybe, who knows.

maybe even having boys playing in high school.... that's a crazy though, huh!!!!!!!

revfaulk,

Well, the thing about letting some things go to speed the game up doesn't make sense...If a player was called for a double hit infraction, play continues, but the other team has a point.  Think about it...with rally scoring, game goes a little faster if infractions were called b/c a team gets a point.  What is the point of having rules if you/official turn a blind eye to it?

Also, what is the point of having 2-3 hr practices if you work endlessly on making sure your players play the game right and then an official lets a player get away with double-hitting or even a lift?  It doesn't really say much for the integrity of the game if minor rules/infractions are bypassed.  I know this is high school, but these ladies are on the step up to college and they need to know/realize that cutting corners on playing the game will ultimately cost them.

highsky... the rule changes are designed to help speed up the action of the game. sorry about that, not to hurry and end the game. if it's done right it makes the action in the game move much faster. so those are some of the reasons for the changes. and it will probably continue to change..... all sports change, they used to not wear face masks in football....

anyway, it seems like there were 2 things that bothered you, one was the rule changes, and the second was the officials. the first is easy to cover.... i mean it might not be the answer you are looking for, but we just have to learn to live with the changes....

the officials is a different story. anybody can complain about the officials, so my suggestion is to become one. if the refs are so bad, and you know the right answers, then you are cheating the girls by not becoming an official and causing them to play with these refs who don't know the rules. if you want me to i will get you the number of the ladies who organize this chapter. just let me know.

okay i just looked over what i wrote..... it might sound sarcastic or rude..... if it does please forgive me. that's not my intention.

In my orginal post I didn't mean to imply that the officials were bad.  Push, throw or double hit is very difficult to determine at the speed the game is now being played.  I feel the rules are ambiguous. From what I have observed, Bumps and spikes are being replaced by push/throws & double hits. Skill level, expecially for spikes and blockes, seems to be diminished.  But I have been watching 3A-1A maybe that's the difference.  Please don't nail me with the ref. question, been there done that.  But I really like the discussion, you all have made great points.

hey warfan, there is a real big difference even from 3a to most a lot of the teams in 4a. i do understand what you are saying. if you don't have girls that can make a good solid attack, or you can't teach them.... whatever the case is..... the  next best thing is to just get them to try and push/ throw the ball in a good spot, and that gets ugly quick!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder