Legal

Guest Hatchet

Wow!  You guys are harsh.  I was thinking that maybe we should know a little more about the arrest.   You guys want to kick a kid off the team for anything?   Even an MIP?  How exactly does that help the kid?   Kids drink; sorry.   Is it ok if they don't get caught or should we kick every kid out of athletics if we suspect them of underage drinking?  I would vote to see how the legal thing comes out first, and then to find an appropriate punishment to the crime if the kid is really guilty of something.  And not every infraction would get them kicked off the team. JMO

well, an MIP is a Class C misdemeanor....it's just like getting a traffic ticket. Now, if that MIP is accompanied with a POPO, you might go to jail for it!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe stang I worked with you at one time and I believe we were taught drinking is the gateway to other things a few drinks then a few drugs.  We as parents should not allow the drinking.  Young adults and even older adults dont always know their limits thats why we have people killing people behind the wheel of a car. 

i would have to disagree. doing drugs and then blaming it on the fact that you drank some alcohol at one time is ridiculous. not allowing any kind of drinking is not reasonable either. alot of friends i know their parent dont allow any drinking and they're always the drunkest ones around at parties. if parents teach their kids to drink responsibly and not binge drink then this whole alcohol must be a gateway drug mess would not be a problem.

.............. if parents teach their kids to drink responsibly and not binge drink then this whole alcohol must be a gateway drug mess would not be a problem.

That is laughable or at least it would be if it wasn't such a serious subject.

Teaching a child how to drink responsibly? There is nothing responsible in teaching a child how to drink.

Jhsbulldogs solution to the drug problem? Teach them to drink responsibly instead.

I know that when my daughter was a senior, I found out that she and her prom date were going to someone's house whose parents were going to allow drinking.  I was furious.  Those parents had no right to serve alcohol to my child without my knowledge.  They were being responsible parents by taking the keys away from anyone who did drink.  Here's the thing...my daughter had only two months before, a serious case of mono-she had to be hospitalized.  Had I not found out about the situation and threatened my daughter within an inch of her life, she could have ingested a small amount of alcohol that could have further damaged her already vulnerable liver and who knows what would have happened?  How do parents allow themselves to be put in a situation where they are responsible for someone else's child?  I never understood that. 

Alcohol topic is ridiculous

75% of high school teens drink, 95% of the football teams drink

Some of you guys need to lighten up..Its the kids whos parents dont allow them to drink that get  at parties and get in trouble

I was a kid once, too, WOS08 and I realize what you are saying.  It's just that when you become a parent, you realize how your own parents must have felt....there is nothing more important than your own child.  There is no love greater than what you feel for your child...and you only want the best for them, you want them safe, and you want them to be a better person than you.  The worry that parents have is unbelievable.  I truly believe that there is noone closer to God than a parent because they are constantly praying for the safety and guidance of their child.  I pray that you will be safe in your endeavors, WOS8.

Some of you guys need to lighten up..Its the kids whos parents dont allow them to drink that get  at parties and get in trouble

Maybe 75% of high school teens need to be taught a lesson, and maybe 95% of football team needs to be in AA.  I can't condone drinking, to many times I have seen a body being taken out of a vehicle due to not that person driving but someone else just drinking a little.  But if that doesn't bother you , keep drinking just stay off the roads so you dont kill my children >:(

Maybe 75% of high school teens need to be taught a lesson, and maybe 95% of football team needs to be in AA.  I can't condone drinking, to many times I have seen a body being taken out of a vehicle due to not that person driving but someone else just drinking a little.  But if that doesn't bother you , keep drinking just stay off the roads so you dont kill my children >:(

Good Post.  And don't forget another little technicality "IT ILLEGAL".  What message are you sending your kids!

I just don't see how anyone can answer this question without more facts.  Why was he arrested?  One kid here was arrested for shootong another kid with an air soft gun.  My kid and other neighbor kids have wars with those things.(safety glasses mandatory)  Should he be kicked off the team?  Just too many unanswered questions in this post.

Guest dailynews

If he will help me win he will probably play. If he isnt any good I would make an example out of him. How many coaches do this???

I bet it happens all the time

Right. The parents that allow their kids to drink are the responsible ones and their kids don't get in trouble. If you believe that, I still have the London Bridge for sale.........

I believe that children are going to learn most of what they are taught but they are also going to push the limit in some areas. Go for it, just be prepared to pay the price when you get caught. If getting arrested will get you kicked off the team and you are willing to risk that penalty , then drink away. Just don't complain and have mommy and daddy threaten to sue when you get caught.

I can say that I am a cautious/optimistic realist when it comes to what my children have done and are doing.  I just had one go to A&M in September and honestly...all I can do is pray.  I have taught him to be responsible and that with actions...there are always consequences (good and bad). 

Do I believe that he has never drank? Dunno, but I hope and pray not.  Would I fall on the floor in shock if he had...no because I've been there.  Another thing that I can tell you is that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD PARENTS SUPPLY ALCOHOL TO KIDS WHO ARE NOT THEIRS.  I don't care if they are 20 years old and 364 days old...you didn't bring them in the world and you haven't raised them.  It is a proven fact that alcohol (whether you are taught from birth to "drink responsibly") is a gateway drug.  My stance on alcohol is like with anything else (piercings, tattoos, etc)...when you turn the legal age, you may most certainly make those decisions on your own...just know that those decisions were made by you and that I didn't ALLOW you to do it. 

Obviously, either some of the posters on here are young (which I am sure of) or they have never had to bury a loved one who was an innocent victim of someone else's stupid, stupid, stupid mistake.  It's senseless. :'(

It is a proven fact that alcohol (whether you are taught from birth to "drink responsibly") is a gateway drug.

Alcohol isn't a gateway drug.  People just like to point out that heavy drug users have drank alcohol and assume its a gateway drug.

Thats like saying letting your kids playing lazer tag is bad because 'ole Bobby shot up the school and he once played lazer tag.

But ya, supplying alcohol to underage kids that aren't yours isn't so smart.

wos08,

A few short years ago a survey was taken of inmates incarcerated in Texas prisons. Of those surveyed, 94% indicated that after the initial thrill of alcohol use subsided, they moved on to harder drugs such as weed, crack, etc. By definition, therefore, alcohol is a gateway drug for these abusers.

This said, I must say the issue of underage drinking is a serious issue and as such should be dealt with firmly. Coaches should, no matter how important a player is to the team, at least bench a player for several games. Personally, I think the player should be removed from the team for the rest of the season. If he is an underclassman he should be given the opportunity to earn his way back to the team the next year. If he is a senior, hopefully he will learn from this mistake before he damages another life besides his on.

As for being arrested Thursday and out by noon Friday, most schools have a rule to the effect that if you miss most or all of a school day, you cannot participate in the extra curricular activity scheduled for that day. (with the exception of a doctor's excuse) Problem solved.

If he will help me win he will probably play. If he isnt any good I would make an example out of him. How many coaches do this???

I bet it happens all the time

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with you. If it does happen like this, the coaches and administration are doing that kid a disservice. We need to remember that you learn life lessons in high school sports.

A few short years ago a survey was taken of inmates incarcerated in Texas prisons. Of those surveyed, 94% indicated that after the initial thrill of alcohol use subsided, they moved on to harder drugs such as weed, crack, etc. By definition, therefore, alcohol is a gateway drug for these abusers.

You're talking about inmates here.

What % of Americans are inmates?

most of those inmates werent just born into jail cells, they made their own way to prison, most of them surveyed are probably in prison for some sort of alcohol or drug related incident which is why the survey was most likely done on those people.

You're missing my point

wos08,

This said, I must say the issue of underage drinking is a serious issue and as such should be dealt with firmly. Coaches should, no matter how important a player is to the team, at least bench a player for several games. Personally, I think the player should be removed from the team for the rest of the season. If he is an underclassman he should be given the opportunity to earn his way back to the team the next year. If he is a senior, hopefully he will learn from this mistake before he damages another life besides his on.

As for being arrested Thursday and out by noon Friday, most schools have a rule to the effect that if you miss most or all of a school day, you cannot participate in the extra curricular activity scheduled for that day. (with the exception of a doctor's excuse) Problem solved.

ok... what % of Americans WHO AREN'T in prison used drugs after the initials thrill of alcohol subsided? what percentage used drugs first before alcohol? its just statistics... its not facts.. even if you want to go by statistics, shouldn't u look at the inmates backgrounds? did they live with a single parent? an abusive parent? you can't say alcohol is a gateway to drugs... thats like saying, the guy who went on a killing spree and murdered 7 people did it because he played Halo...  :P WHO DOESN'T PLAY HALO?!

and 76% of all statistics are made up on spot.

Dont drink its not that hard. If you got an MIP you probably deserved it. Just remember where your priorities are, if you do drink don't during football season, this isnt varsity blues you wont get any slack. so if you care just stay away. and thats coming from a high school senior.

Guest Hatchet

NO FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE, BUT: another website says that a local player was arrested at TVE.  He was going to get a minor in possession of tobacco but he started arguing with the policeman and was arrested.  The website also says that the head coach paid his bail on Friday and he started that night. Surely this can't be true. 

NO FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE, BUT: another website says that a local player was arrested at TVE.  He was going to get a minor in possession of tobacco but he started arguing with the policeman and was arrested.  The website also says that the head coach paid his bail on Friday and he started that night. Surely this can't be true. 

I read the same article and he did start.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami