Talent vs. Coach

Guest Ozen

Talent vs. Coach 

Can a football team full of talent have a successful season without a good coach? Whats your opinion?

A talented team can make it to the playoffs without great coaching. But, once they get up against an equally or sometimes lesser talented, well coached team their chances are slim and NONE.

Guest kingme2007

Talent vs. Coach 

Can a football team full of talent have a successful season without a good coach? Whats your opinion?

YES.

A successful season can mean a number of things.  If there's no chance of college ball anyway, a successful season is one where all the players enjoyed themselves.  Seems like people put way too much thought, energy, enthusiasm, etc. into high school sports anyway.  JMO

School districts with many high schools don't have the same Junior High up to High School cooperation. The SouthLake Carrol's can pull off running the same offense and defense from pee wee to High School. Its a chemistry that is much more than Talent or Coaching.

The right coach can win most places, given time, admin. support and community support. When an excellent coach can have some control at the JH levels, then all the players of all ages are on the same scheme.

Order of Importance:

1. Attitude of players & committment to a work ethic

2. Coaching

3. Talent/Athleticism

Biggest downfall in some of the schools is the talented athletes don't put the work in thinking that their talent will prevail. Basically they are lazy. Then the communities are frustrated and there is a constant turnover of coaching. Too much blame is on coach instead of work ethic at a young age.

jmho

The most important aspect of success is coaching.  Of course, the coach needs parents who are also committed to winning (not just playing). Other factors such as talent, work ethics, tradition (patitan) and administrative support are also important factors.  But I think it all starts with coach.

Guest kingme2007

The most important aspect of success is coaching.  Of course, the coach needs parents who are also committed to winning (not just playing). Other factors such as talent, work ethics, tradition (patitan) and administrative support are also important factors.  But I think it all starts with coach.

Are we still talking about HIGH SCHOOL football?  If things start with the coach, then I'm just wasting my time teaching my kids that you have to practice to be any good.

Another question: If my sons can't run faster than the starting running back, is that the coach's fault?

The thing I've noticed is that, talented players if not well coach play below their ability. You could see the potential,but they are not as successful as they could be with out that good coaching. Good talented players tend to depend on their talent too much sometimes. Thats when they get into trouble. They need good coaching to keep them discipline. Use the talent to their advantage.

Are we still talking about HIGH SCHOOL football?  If things start with the coach, then I'm just wasting my time teaching my kids that you have to practice to be any good.

Another question: If my sons can't run faster than the starting running back, is that the coach's fault?

Practice makes you better no doubt.  But if you do not have a quality coach you could very well be wasting your time.  And if your son isn't as fast as the starting running back a good coach probably won't be playing him as running back. A good coach will bring the best out of your kid and a poor coach can ruin him.  Talent or not!  If your child is an athlete their coach will most likely have more influence on him or her than you do.

Guest maverick24

Just look at Lumberton, A good coaching staff turned around a program that had been down for many years. I agree they have good Kids right now but have had them before and still was the but of everyones jokes. I will take a great Coach and average players over great players and a bad coach every day of the week!!!!

KOUNTZE has had talent in the past but I have seen too many coaches come and go. A kid has to have displine in his daily life to do well. The same program every year, same coaches, and a little talent goes a long way. If a coach can see where a kid can play better he needs to move that kid.  I HOPE HE CAN SEE THAT FAR AHEAD.

COACHING > Talent

A good part of coaching is putting a player in a position that they can be somewhat successful.  Success breeds success.  To me, I think that that is the greatest role of a coach.  Once they see success, then they can be motivated and coached to a level greater than they themselves believed they could achieve.

Does anyone think that Stephenville had better athletes than LaMarque....Heck no!!! Art Briles took the talent he had and prepared with the players strengths in mind.  On pure athletic ability alone, Stephenville shouldn't be 3-0 against LaMarque in title games....Also, look at SLC, they are never the biggest or fastest players.  The difference is coaching!!!

Does anyone think that Stephenville had better athletes than LaMarque....Heck no!!! Art Briles took the talent he had and prepared with the players strengths in mind.  On pure athletic ability alone, Stephenville shouldn't be 3-0 against LaMarque in title games....Also, look at SLC, they are never the biggest or fastest players.  The difference is coaching!!!

Way way way more than coaching  ------Community support, administrative support, budget $$$$$$, facilities$$$$, off season program$$, tradition,family stability, ability to control the lower grades programs and on and on and on and on. But a strong coach can DEFINITELY control alot of the above mentioned.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder