*POST YOUR SCRIMMAGES SCORES AND COMMENTS HERE*

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OUCH!

Lumberton's first team played bad across the board.  I think lumberton had -6 yards after the first 5 offensive plays.  On offense we didn't block, hit the receivers, or catch the ball when it made it to the receiver.  On defense we STILL can't tackle and we had numerous blown coverages.  

The good news is we have 3-4 weeks until the first game.    

Kudo's to HF.  They looked like they had practiced 2-3 weeks longer than the Raiders.  

BH should be an interesting match next week.  We better improve or they will kill us!!!    

I didn't think Lumberton looked so bad ... had some good offensive movement while I was there, but like a few have mentioned... seems like the defense was not quite where it needs to be just yet.

I was particularly impressed with Kountze today. They had a good defensive showing, but they were playing Class A Colmesneil.

We'll see how they do next week when they travel to Woodville. The Lions went from 0-7 to 4-6 under Coach Stan Hodges. In his third year, I think they have a real shot at breaking .500. If the teams picked to win District 24-2A this year beat up on each other enough in district play, a team like Kountze could possibly sneak into the playoffs with a lucky break here and there.

I'm happy to post pics of the local kids. I'm the editor at The Silsbee Bee. We do our best to cover Lumberton as much as possible.

This year, we're planning to do more than we have in the past.

I used to work at the Hardin County News back in the late 80s and early 90s and I used to wander the sidelines with a camera when the home side was on the OTHER side of the field!

Lumberton folks always treated me right ... and I'd like to return the favor now that I'm back in Hardin County working for the Bee.

Gerry

I left the Silsbee/Nederland game more confident in the qb play.  It was good to see Roundtree step up and play hard with the 2nd string qb duties.  There are some outstanding sophomores playing for Silsbee this year.  I believe the Barnes kid will be a force.  I was somewhat disappointed with the o-line play.  Ned's def was getting in the backfield pretty easy.  It wasn't bad for a start especially from the young kids, but there has to be more consistent blocking and tackling.

Nederland doesn't appear to have too much speed.  They definitely will need to protect the ball.  The short passes were pretty spot on and the def looks big.  If there is a drawback I would have to say their depth.  I could definitely see a difference between 1st and 2nd string.

http://baytownsun.com/story.lasso?ewcd=a85c212eded08ed7

Lee dominates scrimmage against New Caney

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun   

Published August 19, 2007

Saturday’s scrimmage between Lee and New Caney was a review of an age-old lesson where football is concerned — speed kills. In 11-on-11 workouts the Gander first team scored a couple of touchdowns offensively and held the Eagles at bay in the first preseason action for both teams.

“It was good work,†Lee head coach Dick Olin said. “This was basically a practice. We got to hit somebody else and work on our inside rushing and our passing skills. Next week we will get more of a game-type situation against Galveston Ball.â€

Strake Jesuit transfer Josh Jones shined in his first action as a Gander since his freshman year completing 10-17 for 197 yards and rushed for 70 yards. Jones used his feet to scramble out of the pocket and hit Jesse Luna for a 59-yard touchdown on the first team’s second offensive series of the scrimmage.

“Josh can run the football,†Olin said. “We feel real good about our quarterback situation right now.â€

Octavio Torres also shined in the scrimmage with several long pass completions while working with the first and second team in the scrimmage. The offensive line benefited from the work as offensive coordinator Clint Riley worked as many as 15 linemen into the scrimmage looking to develop depth. As many as 12 linemen got work with the first unit.

“Tim Smith made a lot of headway today at left tackle,†Riley said. “I thought Eddie Pasillas and Patrick Valdez also did well. The starters didn’t get as many reps as some of the other linemen but I thought Mike Garcia and the rest of the veterans played well.â€

Starting running back Jarvis Moore was scheduled to see limited time at running back and only suited up for the first play of the scrimmage, a screen pass for a 28-yard gain, before being pulled with a bruised shoulder.

On the series Jones hit Kevin Craft for a couple of passes sandwiching a 15-yard run in between to lead the offense to the five-yard line. Two plays later Paul Martinez ran it in from two-yards out for a score. The offense started again at the 30-yard line and took it inside New Caney territory before vacating the field after the allotted 12-plays. Jones was 5-7 on the series with two passes being dropped.

The defense also had a strong start opening the scrimmage giving up only one first down and 14 total yards on New Caney’s first drive. The big play of the series was a play by defensive lineman J.T. Cleveland. Cleveland stripped the ball from the quarterback and recovered the ball. As the whistle was blown, Cleveland took the time to run over a receiver on what would have been a touchdown.

The speed factor was most noticeable on the defensive end as time after time the defensive backs blew up slip screens attempted by New Caney. Once receivers caught the ball they found themselves staring into the face of at least two Gander defenders.

It was not until the third New Caney offensive series that the unit played up to coach Scott Joseph.

“At first I thought we were sloppy,†Joseph said. “The last series was out best in my opinion, we began to communicate as a team and play as a team.

“Overall we did a good job. We have a sign in the locker room that says ‘Success looks easy to those how weren’t there while it was being earned.’ We have to earn it. We have to have drastic improvement; we have to learn to play faster. The biggest jump is from week one to week two and we want to see that from scrimmage one to scrimmage two.â€

Rakhim Cleveland did not start with the first team due to disciplinary action. The defensive lineman worked with the twos before wrapping up the scrimmage with the first team.

The New Caney offense settled down on their second series and gained 43 yards gaining three first downs in the process. The Eagles got to the 43-yard line of Lee before being forced back on downs.

The Gander offense took the field and moved upfield on the first play as Jones gained 35-yard on a zone read. Jones was unable to move Lee any further after he missed on a couple of sideline routes and overthrew Craft on the third down play.

Starting back at the 30-yard line, Jones found his rhythm on an 11-yard completion. After an incompletion, Jones was flushed out of the pocket to his right where he found Luna near the sideline. The catch and run resulted in a 59-yard score. Jones completed his next three passes for 36-yards before the drive stalled out on total number of plays.

The second team scored a touchdown on their second series before giving way to the starters for their final 10 plays. The defense had their best series with three turnovers, one of which was defensive back Jarrett Havins second interception of the day. Offensively The Ganders got the ball beyond the 50-yard line where Desarian Cartwright fumbled the ball over, the Lee first string’s only turnover of the day.

I was at the Silsbee/Nederland game as well and I agree with most of what I have seen posted thus far.

Silsbee and Nederland tied 1-1 when 1st stringers went toe to toe for the first 15 plays. Silsbee scored on a nice 35-40 yard run. Nederland scored on a nice drive capped off by about a 10-15 yard run by Sampere.

Silsbee won 1-0 when the 2nd teamers clashed. A long TD run by Silsbee with numerous missed tackles by the Dogs 2nd stringers was the only score. Silsbee's 2nd string looked quite a bit better than Nederlands.

When the first stringers faced off again, it was a 0-0 tie with Nederland's defense looking REALLY good. Silsbee had a bend but don't break defense in that stanza and kept the Dogs out of the end zone..

Nederland won 1-0 in the game-like portion they played at the end. A nice scramble by Sampere led to a nice pass to Broussard for the only score.

Players who impressed me on both sides of the ball..

Silsbee's QB is gonna be really good. He is young, quick, elusive, and has a great arm.

Silsbee has a bevy of speedy backs and some good looking specimens at WR.

Silsbee has a nice sized O-Line but were having trouble with the Nederland front guys.

Silsbee's D looked OK but gave up a few long screens.

Nederland QB looked pretty good, but threw a couple of picks. I thought he did a great job though for a first scrimmage and he was taking some terrible snaps from the center a few times out of the gun.

I thought Bass did a good job running and catching the ball. I would have liked to have seen a little of 2nd stringer #28 run with the first teamers. Also, would have liked to have seen #38 run a little in this offense.

I liked having DJ #44 lined up in the slot. That is a matchup nightmare for DB's when we run plays where he will block downfield. He also caught a pass and showed good hands and some moves.

I thought all of Ned's WR's were a huge upgrade from last season. #9, #21, #1, and #24 particularly impressed me. They all caught the ball well and had some quick moves when they did.

The defense for Nederland looked really good to me for so early in the season. Particularly, #2 and #73 who were in the backfield ALL NIGHT LONG. DJ #44 did not have a bad game, but did not look like his motor was completely running like it will be during the season. #38 made some really nice plays and the 2ndary led by #24 and #22 defended the pass really well.

Most impressive things in the scrimmages. Nederland's penetration on defense with #73 and #2. Silsbee's QB was really good in my opinion.  I think the future is really bright for him. #21 Asa Cardenas for Nederland should have a big year. He impressed me a lot on big 3rd down catches.

All and all I think it was a good scrimmage for both teams and I agree with the poster who said if they would have played 4 quarters that Nederland would have probably won a hard fought game.

21-0 WOS over Barbers Hill final.

Not exactly  ::)

WOS won 2-0 during the controlled scrimmage with one of the scores coming on the last or second to the last plays of the scrimmage. (70 yard Bomb)

During the one quarter of game type of the scrimmage WOS won 7-0.

During the controlled portion of the scrimmage WOS defense played well limiting BH to 3 to 4 1st downs, but BH ever threatened. WOS played pretty good on offense they had a fumble and threw and interception and had the typical first scrimmage mistakes but look good and move the ball well. Although WOS was moving the ball well BH bent but never broke making WOS earn their yards. BH's Defense was impressive (Even without Sexton!!! went out first play of game) the secondary needs some work, but the line was getting penetration and making some good stops (Especially at the goal line)

During the game portion of the scrimmage WOS took its opening drive and scored, but again no break aways WOS earned the TD with a well laid out drive. After this BH's D tightened up and didn't allow too much. BH on offense sputtered of course WOS Defense had something to do with that. BH had a good drive going at the end, ending the game with a 30 yard run up the middle.

Over all here is what I thought about the two teams.

BH

Offense looks rusty, but I saw some bright spots like Carmona's arm! Carmona throws the ball strong has a tight spiral and good placement Also he made some smart decisions during the game. Little runs the ball well and once Sexton is back to block for him we could see some good things! Also the other running back BH had in (Don’t know his name) he was small but quick through he line!! The Offensive line opened some good holes and protected the QB well. On Defense I was impressed with the penetration the line was getting! The secondary although played well at times, I hope the kinks get worked out!!

WOS

I don’t know any of the players, but WOS QB has good size and can run the ball. His throwing was off, but that will come as the season goes on. WOS RB was also a hard runner, doesn't seem as speedy as the RB's in the past but he runs the ball hard and is a load to bring down. Receiving core seems solid as they caught some misplaced passes during the game and have speed. Offensive line may have some problems as BH was making good penetration, but with the RB he doesn’t need much of a hole. Defense played well on the line and secondary only allowing one big play by BH.

Over all it was a good scrimmage and it’s tough to tell at this point how the teams will do. Both teams are down this year and will have to work their butts of if they want that district crown this year.

Goodluck to both teams! Thank God football is here ;D

First, I would like to clear the score up - it was 3-2.  2-1 in controlled part and 1-1 in overtime simulation.  Both teams had multiple interceptions but they were blown dead after the catch. 

Anahuac looked better than I figured they would.  They have good looking kids there but obviously under a new coach and staff they will take a while to play to their potential.  I know that the offense suits their kids there - they are running the ball a lot more this year.  They threw the ball a few times.  Passes from the pocket were not very good - in fact, two were picked off.  When the quarterback rolled out they looked really good.  It seems that the kids began the game really pumped up and excited but got tired really quick.  I was impressed by the way they drove the ball in overtime simulation though even if they were tired.  The just handed it off 4-5 times in a row and crammed it down BC's throat. 

BC looked better than what I thought they would.  I figured that there was no way BC could run a spread offense but they move the ball well in it.  They ran the ball a lot.  They did a good job of picking Anahuac's weak spots and hitting them.  Defensively, they swarmed to the ball.  Like I said above, Anahuac moved the ball good but BC did not give up the big play.

On a sour note, the officials did not do a very good job.  It seemed that they didn't have much control over the scrimmage.  They would flag some things and not others.  I saw them mark off illegal procedure calls sometime but not others.  I can think of one play that BC linemen jumped but the officials still gave them credit for a 15 yard run.  It is just a scrimmage so no harm.

Guest ballfan

PNG Fresh..... 4

Jasper Fresh..... 0

The score was png 2 to jaspers 0. Jasper barely had enough to field all three teams they had like 35 kids on jv but only 15 on freshmen.

Nederland QB looked pretty good, but threw a couple of picks. I thought he did a great job though for a first scrimmage and he was taking some terrible snaps from the center a few times out of the gun.

I know that they were rotating three centers to see who will start.  Hopefully that will take care of some of the bad snaps.

Not sure which RBs you're thinking of, but the current RB is a third-year starter (though he's split time with Earl Thomas occasionally).

Was your three year started the one who was chased down and caught from behind by the BH safety (To save a TD)? If so that is what I baised my comment on, knowing that we do not have any world class speed in our secondary. If that was someone else then I take back my observation.

Dude... are you sure you didn't watch the JV scrimmage and leave and completely miss the varisty? The only reason I'm saying this is because the JV tailback was the one who got caught from behind during the JV scrimmage. Also, the 70 yard pass was on the second to last play of the JV scrimmage.

Was your three year started the one who was chased down and caught from behind by the BH safety (To save a TD)? If so that is what I baised my comment on, knowing that we do not have any world class speed in our secondary. If that was someone else then I take back my observation.

As has already been noted, that was a JV tailback. I was simply pointing out that if you're comparing him to our running backs over the last few years, he IS our running back from the past few years. Garrett isn't a speedster - never has been - but he's elusive and strong, and should have an outstanding year. Our fast players over the last two years were our QB (Beasley) and wideouts (Earl Thomas, Jacoby Franks).

Besides, any time someone gets "run down from behind," I'll take it. That means he pretty much busted for a breakaway run through the entire defense designed to stop him. I guess it's a "moral victory" for the defense, though.

I was at the scrimmage and PNG didn't look good at all. Man we have some small guys! I didn't see any blazing speed that's for sure. Hopefully they get thier act together before the season begins. #9 on defense was an animal for as small as he is. I will keep the hope alive, and still believe that we will have a good season. By the way, it looked like Jasper had just as many football players as we did. I was impressed with the QB Tatum and the entire OL.

#9 was josh wright. he had three sacks in a row on jasper's qb

Dude... are you sure you didn't watch the JV scrimmage and leave and completely miss the varisty? The only reason I'm saying this is because the JV tailback was the one who got caught from behind during the JV scrimmage. Also, the 70 yard pass was on the second to last play of the JV scrimmage.

Nope, I'm talking about the Varsity  ;D

Hmmm... Which runningbacks from the past are you referring to? I guess that's my question. I figured you were referring to our backs since we dropped to 3A, which has been the same guy we have this year.

Good for your DB, though. He obviously didn't give up and made the play. That should help extend some of BH's opponents' drives to three and four plays instead of just one ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder