Hoopsgiving Classic 2019

How to say this nicely. If you are short & not very big and you can't get the rebounds that is one thing.  You can't coach height.  But, if your premier pg dishes you a perfect pass and you are all by yourself and you miss multiple times that is something else.  It is good that you came out for the team and helped fill out a roster, but maybe basketball is really not your thing.

SA Cornerstone up 30 on Yates after 3.  The Dallas games could get way ugly because Montverde AND Sunrise are way better than Cornerstone.  Saw them last weekend in SA.  They are good, but not national powerhouse good.  They lost to Potter’s House out of Jacksonville, FL on Friday, who lost on a buzzer beater to Duncanville on Saturday.  

Cornerstone 99

Yates 77 F 

A buddy of mine who is a Houston basketball “pundit” tweeted this week that if Yates has their bigs, they take down Montverde.   Unless those bigs are Anthony Davis and Joel Embid, I need whatever he was having.  

And Yates is very, very good.   But you can’t full court press, run and gun teams with elite national guards.   Cornerstone has very good guards but not a one that would see meaningful minutes for MV.  

Saw where Yates was out rebounded 44-19. Also Yates put up 42 three's, hitting 17. The 42 three's were 60% of Yates shot selection. Jones put up 18 himself, hitting 8. All his points came from three's. Udemadu did play (1:22) but Doakes did not.

Cornerstone did commit 28 turnovers but didn't matter much. Cornerstone led by as much as 32.

Here is the boxscore:

This is the hidden content, please

35 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Cornerstone 99

Yates 77 F 

A buddy of mine who is a Houston basketball “pundit” tweeted this week that if Yates has their bigs, they take down Montverde.   Unless those bigs are Anthony Davis and Joel Embid, I need whatever he was having.  

And Yates is very, very good.   But you can’t full court press, run and gun teams with elite national guards.   Cornerstone has very good guards but not a one that would see meaningful minutes for MV.  

Looked at the box score and recognized a few names that did the damage...sophomores from Hardwork...very good AAU program that teaches the game and I see it carried over to Highschool ball...

2 hours ago, Hooohead.com said:

Looked at the box score and recognized a few names that did the damage...sophomores from Hardwork...very good AAU program that teaches the game and I see it carried over to Highschool ball...

Yes, that’s primarily who their team is comprised of (UAA’s Hardwork).  In fact, same coach even.  Solid team.  Best player is the big (Colbert) who is a junior I believe. Not near the horses Yates will face in Dallas though.  We will see how they respond. 

Welp.  Yates is not as good as they were in 2009-2010, obviously.  We can put that notion to rest.  I should have stayed for that game. Yates'  guards looked very good against Morton Ranch.  I forgot that MR's high ranking really doesn't mean that much. If a team is going to eat humble pie now is the time to do it.  Yates looked good to me, when I saw them, as a region III class 4A team.  Beyond that who knows? Faith Family comes to mind.  If none of those powerhouse teams in Dallas are 4A then whatever happens is just a learning lesson.   

12 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Curious. Why did you not give us updates of Yates game?

AggiesAreWe

When I joined this thread several years ago I was informed that this was Not a Houston thread but a SETX, therefore I stopped posting Yates Scores. I have in the past posted Silsbee scores (if I am at the game) for those SETX followers that could not attend the games.  

12 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Saw where Yates was out rebounded 44-19. Also Yates put up 42 three's, hitting 17. The 42 three's were 60% of Yates shot selection. Jones put up 18 himself, hitting 8. All his points came from three's. Udemadu did play (1:22) but Doakes did not.

Cornerstone did commit 28 turnovers but didn't matter much. Cornerstone led by as much as 32.

Here is the boxscore:

This is the hidden content, please

I believe the box score is not correct, Chuks, Allen & Doakes we’re in street clothes. 

7 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

AggiesAreWe

When I joined this thread several years ago I was informed that this was Not a Houston thread but a SETX, therefore I stopped posting Yates Scores. I have in the past posted Silsbee scores (if I am at the game) for those SETX followers that could not attend the games.  

Ok, then why post about games that Yates will be playing in Dallas that doesn't involve SETX teams?

If you didn't notice, updates of all the games at Hoopsgiving were being posted in this thread. Just thought you would continue with the Yates game.

9 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Welp.  Yates is not as good as they were in 2009-2010, obviously.  We can put that notion to rest.  I should have stayed for that game. Yates'  guards looked very good against Morton Ranch.  I forgot that MR's high ranking really doesn't mean that much. If a team is going to eat humble pie now is the time to do it.  Yates looked good to me, when I saw them, as a region III class 4A team.  Beyond that who knows? Faith Family comes to mind.  If none of those powerhouse teams in Dallas are 4A then whatever happens is just a learning lesson.   

Thank You, Yates will eat plenty of humble pie this weekend in Dallas, but this is nothing new to our program. Yates will continue to schedule or attempt to play those elite teams during the pre-season. Coach Wise rarely plays 4A schools during the pre-season because it doesn’t make the team better. Yates has to play those schools because the district play is so weak. Please remember these losses will prepare the team for the playoffs in 4A, region III

7 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Ok, then why post about games that Yates will be playing in Dallas that doesn't involve SETX teams?

If you didn't notice, updates of all the games at Hoopsgiving were being posted in this thread. Just thought you would continue with the Yates game.

I was only informing those individuals that was not aware of the tournament Sir. It was only a public announcement aboutThe competition that will take place in Duncanville. And Yes the fact that Yates was invited was a side note. 

I left your site to post the score on MaxPrep. I am the official scorer for Yates.