Meeks wants a scholarship!

We went out to see Phillip Meeks pitch for the--Big Timers- and he did a good job!

The tall boy that went from West Brook to pitch for Cathedral and has a scholarship to Lamar started the game.  He was a little wild but throwing about 93 mph; so they put Phillip Meeks in after they had already scored 4 runs and there were NO OUTS.  Meeks promptly got the three outs.  He looked good today.

Interestingly Matt Hicks(BC) was playing 3rd base having newly re-joined this Select team.

There was 4 boys from Barbe Lake Charles, one from Wharton, two from Beaumont Central plus other assorted HSs. 

There was some good BB being played out at the Lamar diamond today.  The team they were playing was a composite mostly from the Fort Bend area 5-As.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Message for Phillip and others seeking scholarships.

Over on the softball section of SETSsports,  I have listed most all the schools in Texas and Louisiana that have baseball & softball programs.  This is a starting point--if you enter Google Search on any of them you can get more pertinent details(and e-mail addresses etc:).

Hope this is of help.

Not sure about the--Scouts?  I will say this, I will continue to go see these type teams play, it was really good BB.  The crowd was great--between innings we all exchanged--clean funny jokes--it was an enjoyable outing.

Is there a newspaper or other source that gives schedules of up coming games for Select BB & SS?

Interestingly Matt Hicks(BC) was playing 3rd base having newly joined this Select team.

Matt has actually been playing with the Big Timers since they first formed their local teams. His back issues kept him from playing in a couple of tournaments since the HS season wrapped up. 

Best of luck to Phillip on getting noticed and earning a scholarship. 

Anyone willing to help me get a scholarship that has seen me pitch? I have not been able to make it to any tryouts but i really want to go somewhere and play! I love the game to much to just let my potential slip.

You need to help yourself and find a way to make it to these tryouts.  They are happening everyday.  I counted eight have taken place since this thread started.  The total number of college coaches listed at those tryouts were 14 if all advertised hosts showed up.

The only guys that they ever sign from these tryouts are more often than not pitchers anyway.

My advice to you is pick the top five schools you would like to play at and call them.  Some might tell you they are full so you don't waste a trip there.  Those that sound interested you should find out tryout date and attend. 

You might need to try more than your top five to better you chances.

The fact is that if you want to play bad enough and you are willing to go out and find them, instead of waiting on them to come to you, then there is a place out there for you.

Playing a tournament in Georgia in front of scouts from Georgia and others states in that area will be great if you want to go to college in Georgia or other states in that area.  Most se texas players do not want to go that far from home.

My guess is that if you listed the top ten schools you would like to play for none would be in Georgia or over seven hours form home.

Actually, the particular perfect game event in East Cobb is the biggest college scouting even of the year.  There will be D-1 coaches from nearly (if not all) programs including a large number from Texas.  Louisiana schools will be there in numbers as well.  If you want to get seen, that this is the tournament to go to.

We have been going there for 4 years and have probably 15-20 kids (2006 and 2007 HS grads) that have now gotten scholarships.  Exposure is the name of the game.  Period.

Tryout camps are also a good idea, especially for some of the Texas jucos.  I appreciate that he pitched at Lamar but, honestly, Lamar has seen him for 2 years.  If they were going to offer him, they probably would have by now. 

I would love to make these tryouts but i dont have transportation. Next week I am going to A Perfect Game with the Big Tymers in Georgia, and hopefully that will work for me. Thank you for the advice

P -- are you guys entered?  The PG web site for the tourney says it is full and Big Timers is not listed.  Just checking...

We went out to see Phillip Meeks pitch for the--Big Timers- and he did a good job!

The tall boy that went from West Brook to pitch for Cathedral and has a scholarship to Lamar started the game.  He was a little wild but throwing about 93 mph; so they put Phillip Meeks in after they had already scored 4 runs and there were NO OUTS.  Meeks promptly got the three outs.  He looked good today.

Interestingly Matt Hicks(BC) was playing 3rd base having newly joined this Select team.

There was 4 boys from Barbe Lake Charles, one from Wharton, two from Beaumont Central plus other assorted HSs. 

There was some good BB being played out at the Lamar diamond today.  The team they were playing was a composite mostly from the Fort Bend area 5-As.

1.  Glad Meeks did well.

2.  Matt -- get out of there.

3.  Lamar either (a) didn't throw much scholarship or (B) regrets what they did throw at the kid from Cathedral.  There is a damn good reason he left West Brook...

I know I'm just a softball mom.......but.....we've been told to email your tournament schedule to the colleges before the tournament.  I know you prob. only have 1 or 2 game times but it let's them know where to look for you.  Also in softball we have "stat sheet" with all your information on it.  Your parent (can hand-out but not talk) or coach (who can hand-out and talk about you) can hand them to any recruiter standing around.  Put a picture, your teams--school and summer, contacts  and stats...if your grades are good put that too.  If you IM me I'll be glad to send you our sheet as a go by. You may already know and do all this but nobody has mentioned it. Good luck!  

You are absolutley correct on the out of state coaches thinking kids would'nt play out of state and some have stop recruiting out of state players. I was in Ark City Kansas when mine played there (2000) and asked the coach (Kent Shelly)from Johnson Co Kan about a kid from Newton on his team. He told me he had someone in our area watching local players and how he was somewhat apprehensive of recruiting players from out of state. When he found out who I was he told me he had went to watch my son pitch in a Bi-Dist game at Lamar in 98 but didnt think he had a chance at him as he had signed with Lamar and then ended up at Seminole jr college. I have said before about the exposure>if a woman wanted to get preg she HAS to be exposed, once again dont wait on something you want to come to you, GO GET IT. Heres the link again of every Juco in the nation.  http://njcaa.org/findcollege_sport.cfm  All I have to say is your late BUT not to late, if all else fails pick you out a school and go and walk on the first sem and then hopefully you will get a offer after they see you play. I do know they'll have some kids on a work program to help out on expenses. Another lead is  http://www.baseballfactory.com/home.asp check and see if they still are having their showcases, this is a pay showcase, mine was invited and was told our fee had been waived. I'm thinking it was a cpl of hundred but IMO would be worth it if your above ave in talent. They will evaluate you and send your info and films to colleges that pay them to do their recruiting. After the showcase we got the videos and the info they had forwarded, it wasn't long he started recieving letters from major D1s along with JUCOs. Hope this mite help you some and hope you all the best.

Hi Phillip, I have checked out a lot of possible options and here is where I would camp out!

LSU-Eunice over in Louisiana has one of the best kept secrets in all of baseball.  It is a Junior College-- well know by all the major leagues, in fact--LSU-EUNICE placed 5 players on Major League teams in the last draft.

Good place to start out.

Hey Meeks! I've seen you pitch before and I know you have some good stuff....I don't know if your interested but there's a D2 program at Henderson State in Arkadelphia, Arkansas that i know would be interested in fact thats where i'm going to school The coach is great and he is building up his program there in the Gulf south conference and you'll get some of the best D2's in the nation playing in that conference in fact it held the number 1 and 2 teams last year but if your interested email at [email protected] and i can give u the coaches number or any other help

I knew about a player once that wanted to continue his baseball career in college.  His high school coach was new and did not have many, if any contacts.  The player made calls and contacts on his own, and his coach made calls and contacts on his behalf.  The two of them beat the bushes to get a place to play.  Finally, the player did get an opportunity at a jr. college.  He was not happy at that jr. college, so began to look for another place to play the following year.  It was into July before he received that offer.  He called that coach several times to check on his chance to go there.  From there, two university recruiters saw him pitch and offered him scholarships at their respective universities.  He selected the one he preferred and was an intrumental part in winning the conference tournament and making the NCAA Tournament his senior year.  I said all this to say that you need to seek a place and stay after it...there is someplace out there for you, and then you make good of your opportunities.  There are other stories like this one...walk-ons, etc...just keep after it.  Good luck.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder