BEST DEFENSIVE COORDINATORS

Guest ECBucFan

You oughta try telling that to Galena Park, or any of the other teams Ned has knocked out of the playoffs in the past years...

85, I think you will be pleasantly suprised with the Titans new DC this season. Viola learned under Thompson at WO-S before going to Memorial and I thinkthe Titan D will be very improved this season.   

Anything, and I mean anything short of Ned's DC would be better @Memorial.  I don't care if they have to run somebody down from 20 yards behind, as long as they make an 'impression' once they get there.....

• 1 month later...

I might sound like a homer, but you can't argue with Coach Cornel Thompson's consistent numbers. Through bad offenses and spectacular offenses, the defense rarely wavers.

I have to go w/ SFA (to a degree) on the Ned defense issue. Nederland is a well-coached program with a consistent playoff tradition, but when a back runs for almost 2,500 yards and almost 30 TDs, how does the team go .500?

Well, by giving up an average of 28 points per game and 220 rushing yards per game (including one game of over 530 yards) despite having one of the top defensive prospects in the state ready to stop the run. They gave up about 23 PPG in 2005, 17 in 2004, 13 in 2003, 21 in 2002 and 18 in 2001. That averages out to 20 points per game over the last six years - including 10 games allowing more than 35 points.

It's certainly not enough to fire up the torches and storm the castle, but it's also not "elite." Respectable, yes.

If you tell me that WO--S played Waller and our offense rolled up 540 total yards, I don't have to look at the paper or the box score. We won. I realize that Colton Johnson was an outstanding back, but he gained WELL OVER a fourth of his yardage for the season in that game.

I'm not bagging on Nederland at all, but I don't think the DC belongs in this discussion. Just my opinion.

My vote goes to Thompson, but Newton's D is typically pretty stout. Central has had some strong ones over the years. Last year, Dayton's D held us well up until the last third of the game.

I might sound like a homer, but you can't argue with Coach Cornel Thompson's consistent numbers. Through bad offenses and spectacular offenses, the defense rarely wavers.

I have to go w/ SFA (to a degree) on the Ned defense issue. Nederland is a well-coached program with a consistent playoff tradition, but when a back runs for almost 2,500 yards and almost 30 TDs, how does the team go .500?

Well, by giving up an average of 28 points per game and 220 rushing yards per game (including one game of over 530 yards) despite having one of the top defensive prospects in the state ready to stop the run. They gave up about 23 PPG in 2005, 17 in 2004, 13 in 2003, 21 in 2002 and 18 in 2001. That averages out to 20 points per game over the last six years - including 10 games allowing more than 35 points.

It's certainly not enough to fire up the torches and storm the castle, but it's also not "elite." Respectable, yes.

If you tell me that WO--S played Waller and our offense rolled up 540 total yards, I don't have to look at the paper or the box score. We won. I realize that Colton Johnson was an outstanding back, but he gained WELL OVER a fourth of his yardage for the season in that game.

I'm not bagging on Nederland at all, but I don't think the DC belongs in this discussion. Just my opinion.

My vote goes to Thompson, but Newton's D is typically pretty stout. Central has had some strong ones over the years. Last year, Dayton's D held us well up until the last third of the game.

And with that, the defense rest.......

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont