Nederland Basketball Players Not Getting Equal Class Time

Guest WB42

i not talking about any sport, i'm talking about school.  Remember this is High School, and Basketball player will get 1/2 credit less than a football player would.  Do i need to explain myself some more?  Just like a baskeball guy-little mans syndrome.

Yes, I'm not understanding how basketball would get a 1/2 credit less.  Football is on the same block schedule and has a football class everyday

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I don't see the 1/2 credit issue for the following two reasons:

1.) Juniors/Seniors are offered the oportunity to have one free class period.  This would lead me to believe they have been offered the opportunity to have more than enough credits to cover 1/2 credit missing.

2.) Many senior football players stay in the everyday period even though they don't have to workout so I would guess they would have to absorb a loss of 1/2 credit. 

Bottom line if the players have taken advantage of what is offered educationally, the 1/2 credit will not matter and they should be able to have an everyday basketball class.

I would stand behind you in supporting the issue with Nederland Basketball.....Let me know the time and place and I am sure the "we dont want to do it for just basketball" wouldnt come up again...I have always wondered why it was ok for "football" to not be the "only sport doing it".....

Last night at the School Board Meeting, Coach Neuman made it absolutely clear that the only way to do things in Nederland Athletics is the Larry Neuman Way. When Board Members asked questions like "Why Football and not Basketball?", he repeatedly told them that this was not about Football. From the very beginning of the meeting, he was his usual self, very loud and intimidating. Any Board Member that had an opinion that was not the same as his was repeatedly told that was the wrong way to look at this issue. By the end of his talking, I think the School Board was just glad to see him go out the door, so that they didn't have to listen to him anymore. Coach Neuman has succeeded in making sure that he got his way on this issue, regardless of what anyone else may have wanted.

Guest KirbyKat

Congratulations... Now, whatever chance the bb program had, is now gone. All this has done is increase the size of the division between the parties. I'm wondering where the head bb coach is? Shouldn't he be the one leading the charge? All parents do is make the situation worse. Let your coach handle this. You have an excellent one, let him do his job. Because no matter what you think, this has to come from the AD and principal. The school board can't change scheduling and will not get involved.

I am pretty sure Coach Enlgish has made his point clear on what it will take to move his program forward.  The one thing I have seen happen in the Dallas area where football/basketball kids with an upside in basketball has been kids quitting football....The schools finally started moving their block scheduling to both days for JV/Varsity and freshmen had just the every other day class...So as a coach you could move your "better" freshmen into the JV/VAR period if you wanted...(obviously) you would be this with your kids going "straight basketball"...If nothing happens this year, I would be a betting man that it does in 2008....Too many basketball parents have moved back to the are with Coach English getting the job....They will feel the HEAT!

Having the basketball players double blocked doesnt call for putting 1 sport before the other.  It calls for the title "athletic director" to come out and do whats best for the programs.  If you go to double blocking your sports you would actually see a higher participation over the entire program.  Look at Plano ISD/Irving ISD and many other Houston suburbs that have moved their athletic programs to the front of participation....I'll put money that it changes for the 2008-2009 school year! 

Guest KirbyKat

The better freshmen have been going to the varsity class for years.  This situation is not going to change until the credit problem is fixed. This has nothing to do with football vs. bb. It's about high school kids getting the credits to graduate.

The big athletic schools are double blocked in major sports across the board, and haven't had issues with credits.  I was apart of a couple of those myself years ago...Every once in a while a Jr/Sr might need to be single blocked for one semester if they have come up short due to academic reason....Besides that it is being done...

Guest KirbyKat

Well then you probably know that the TEA just recently upped the number of credits that hs students have to have to graduate. Therefore, changes are about to take place all over the state.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder