To the brave NFL players who ran into the hotel

stevenash

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

I still want to understand why, if the "oppression" is something that Mr. Kaepernick and his ilk so strongly believe in, why is it that there were no "demonstrations" until last year?  Certainly all of this injustice was also taking place in many prior years?

Also strange that it ramped up so sharply after Trump made his remarks...was there a sudden boom in oppression that required extra kneeling after his comments?

I still want to understand why, if the "oppression" is something that Mr. Kaepernick and his ilk so strongly believe in, why is it that there were no "demonstrations" until last year?  Certainly all of this injustice was also taking place in many prior years?

do you think rosa parks only sat at the back of the bus the week that she refused to do it again

4 hours ago, new tobie said:

do you think rosa parks only sat at the back of the bus the week that she refused to do it again

I think you totally misunderstand me.  My point is that if you or Kaepernick or whomever, feels so very strongly about something, was that something not worth expressing your sentiments about much sooner than the fall of 2016?

19 hours ago, stevenash said:

I think you totally misunderstand me.  My point is that if you or Kaepernick or whomever, feels so very strongly about something, was that something not worth expressing your sentiments about much sooner than the fall of 2016?

Ive been protesting bad cops since a bad cop threatened me 20 years ago

The topic was the conduct of a professional football player in the public eye.  But do tell- what type of protests have you been holding since a bad cop threatened you 20 years ago?  Speaking of threats, you provide veiled threats here almost daily but that appears to be, in your mind, ok.

On 10/5/2017 at 8:15 PM, stevenash said:

Let’s assume it’s a difficult decision.  I can’t say that it was for Kaepernick because I don’t know him and certainly not his convictions.  I know what he says and can choose to take him at his word or not.  For me personally, to do something so extreme for a “cause” would have been exceedingly difficult.  I can imagine taking this particular action in any scenario that exists today, but that’s my belief system and views. 

But if it IS something you struggle with, it is completely rational and logical to not expect it to happen the moment you feel “injustice.”  It might be something you contemplate, feel strongly about, but struggle finding the “courage.”  I am not labeling Kap or anyone doing this as courageous because only they know their hearts and true motives.  But I would offer an example that would illustrate what I am trying to say. 

Many people have been raised in a Christian church.  They might be their every Sunday, or even every time the “doors are open.”  They have listened to 100s of sermons, and figured out at some point what they believe they should do.  But for many people, it was years and years before they truly had a conversion experience where they”became a Christian,” as believers in Bible-based denominations believe.  I suppose the same question you ask would apply to them.  And before I get lambasted, I am NOT comparing the NFL situation with Christianity!  Just offering an example of a delayed demonstration of conviction.  

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Let’s assume it’s a difficult decision.  I can’t say that it was for Kaepernick because I don’t know him and certainly not his convictions.  I know what he says and can choose to take him at his word or not.  For me personally, to do something so extreme for a “cause” would have been exceedingly difficult.  I can imagine taking this particular action in any scenario that exists today, but that’s my belief system and views. 

But if it IS something you struggle with, it is completely rational and logical to not expect it to happen the moment you feel “injustice.”  It might be something you contemplate, feel strongly about, but struggle finding the “courage.”  I am not labeling Kap or anyone doing this as courageous because only they know their hearts and true motives.  But I would offer an example that would illustrate what I am trying to say. 

Many people have been raised in a Christian church.  They might be their every Sunday, or even every time the “doors are open.”  They have listened to 100s of sermons, and figured out at some point what they believe they should do.  But for many people, it was years and years before they truly had a conversion experience where they”became a Christian,” as believers in Bible-based denominations believe.  I suppose the same question you ask would apply to them.  And before I get lambasted, I am NOT comparing the NFL situation with Christianity!  Just offering an example of a delayed demonstration of conviction.  

Can't argue with anything you stated.  It certainly is, from my perspective, logical.  However, the timing of this act, also from my perspective, stinks to high heaven.

9 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Can't argue with anything you stated.  It certainly is, from my perspective, logical.  However, the timing of this act, also from my perspective, stinks to high heaven.

That is a perspective and/or conclusion many have.  And I don’t think anyone but each individual player knows the actual answer.  BUT I also don’t think it’s logically possible that every player who knelt did it for the same reason/cause.  Not trying to be cynical :) 

50 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Lets get real honest here.   I am pretty confident that the bulk of the "kneel" reflects an opposition to our current President.  I would further guess that of all those kneeling, only a handful have the slightest idea what their action represents/means.

The kneels that reflect the current president were the ones that happened after he opened his little big mouth

Lets get real honest here.   I am pretty confident that the bulk of the "kneel" reflects an opposition to our current President.  I would further guess that of all those kneeling, only a handful have the slightest idea what their action represents/means.

I have no doubt about the first sentence.  My guess as to the second sentence is they took offense to some of their brethren being called SOBs in a tweet.  In fact, post game interviews support that, as well as the league-wide show. Heck, the NFLDPA has trouble getting that kind of solidarity during union negotiations. 

4 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I have no doubt about the first sentence.  My guess as to the second sentence is they took offense to some of their brethren being called SOBs in a tweet.  In fact, post game interviews support that, as well as the league-wide show. Heck, the NFLDPA hasn’t trouble getting that kind of solidarity during union negotiations. 

When was the last time a sitting United states president called professional athletes mothers the b word

On 10/3/2017 at 9:33 PM, six burg said:

me and members of my family work hard, pay taxes, respect others of any race. Raise our kids to do the same . And our depicted as N words by many for no reason at all. and many people in this area can only laugh. Never call out the foolish person for making remarks. I have heard the n word being said all of my life, I still have many good white friends. Some of the same people that I know are upset with kapernick over the kneeling, were mot upset when James byrd was dragged behind a pickup truck.

I agree. I would not be upset if someone calls me the n word. I would laugh. It shows his ignorance.

The discussion is NOT "ifs".   You and Mr, Kaepernick are protesting something that is pretty darn rare but you can't/won't admit that.  You have stated essentially that innocent unarmed black men are being killed at an alarming rate by police officers.  My contention is that it is a fairly infrequent occurance.  Please prove me wrong.  By "prove", I mean something centered around facts.