carthage vs gilmer

yeahprobablynot

I watched this one early this morning, Gilmer really didn't stretch the field like I originally thought. That QB looks about 5'5 but he can sling it around though. After watching I wouldn't call Gilmer overrated, I say they ran into a brick wall named Carthage for almost 3 qtrs. #90 for Carthage is a beast, he gets held 90% of the time every time I've watched Carthage this year, hell on wheels for an opposing offense. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I watched this one early this morning, Gilmer really didn't stretch the field like I originally thought. That QB looks about 5'5 but he can sling it around though. After watching I wouldn't call Gilmer overrated, I say they ran into a brick wall named Carthage for almost 3 qtrs. #90 for Carthage is a beast, he gets held 90% of the time every time I've watched Carthage this year, hell on wheels for an opposing offense. 

I have had this argument with several Gilmer fans, but I just haven't seen the stretch the field in any game. I've seen them twice and both times they did not hardly ever attempt the deep ball. That's why I had made a statement before that half or more of Brown's passing yards in the L-E game came from YAC. 

4 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I have had this argument with several Gilmer fans, but I just haven't seen the stretch the field in any game. I've seen them twice and both times they did not hardly ever attempt the deep ball. That's why I had made a statement before that half or more of Brown's passing yards in the L-E game came from YAC. 

They need to use their RB more too. if they fix that run defense they'll be fine come playoff time. 

The game is now on Youtube for those that are interested.  The picture quality is not there this time, though.

This is the hidden content, please

As for the holding non-calls?  There was a bunch of holding on both teams that never got called.  I guess it depends on whose vantage point you look from.  Some of those "non-calls" resulted in big plays for Carthage, and in critical situations, too, so I guess they evened out somewhat.

It doesn't really matter.  The better team won the game.  I've seen a pattern this year in all the games I've attended.  The refs are not calling holding nearly as much, and it seems tilted toward our opponents' advantage, although I've seen it many times not called against us, too.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

They need to use their RB more too. if they fix that run defense they'll be fine come playoff time. 

I agree.  Our best option at RB is not getting the carries he should be getting, in my opinion.  Rashaad Ward (#33) is a beast.  FWIW, our offense is definitely not our weakness this season.  Our defense just hasn't gelled, and until that is fixed we'll just be a very "good" team, not a "great" team, by Buckeye standards anyway.

29 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Just to clarify, I know you have only seen the L-E and Carthage games, but we did stretch the field several times against L-E and was very successful.  We stretched the field against Center and Liberty Christian several times as well.  It wasn't going to work very well against Carthage because they took the long ball away from us with their over the top coverage.  I still wish we would've taken more shots.  Ryen Lawhorn (#14) is a speed burner but is not used as much as I would like.  Lawhorn, Lemarcus Morton (#13 - D1 commit to OK St.), and Qua Heath (#6) are all very good options for getting behind the defense, or jump ball situations.  I've seen all three make some SICK catches this season.  I would also like to see Kameryn Cueves (#7) get more PT at the slot in the 4 receiver set, and more PT in general.

I agree we should take more shots down the field, but we have been successful in the short to mid-range passing game.  Our offense is definitely not the Buckeyes' weakness.  It's the other side of the ball where work is needed.  Hopefully we can gel there.  If not, we will just be a very good team, not a great team.

20 hours ago, blackflag said:

Just to clarify, I know you have only seen the L-E and Carthage games, but we did stretch the field several times against L-E and was very successful.  We stretched the field against Center and Liberty Christian several times as well.  It wasn't going to work very well against Carthage because they took the long ball away from us with their over the top coverage.  I still wish we would've taken more shots.  Ryen Lawhorn (#14) is a speed burner but is not used as much as I would like.  Lawhorn, Lemarcus Morton (#13 - D1 commit to OK St.), and Qua Heath (#6) are all very good options for getting behind the defense, or jump ball situations.  I've seen all three make some SICK catches this season.  I would also like to see Kameryn Cueves (#7) get more PT at the slot in the 4 receiver set, and more PT in general.

I agree we should take more shots down the field, but we have been successful in the short to mid-range passing game.  Our offense is definitely not the Buckeyes' weakness.  It's the other side of the ball where work is needed.  Hopefully we can gel there.  If not, we will just be a very good team, not a great team.

Well it really goes hand in hand with getting the running game going. Carthage was able to leave 2 deep safeties because Gilmer as having no real success running the ball. Their corners where playing good press cover, and the screens weren't getting by them too often, so no real reason to bring the 2 safeties down. Once Gilmer's offense got rolling, they couldn't stop them, but too many times Gilmer just fell on their face on the first set of downs. 

The more I think about it, the more I think they will beat Nac though. I just don't know if Nac can stop the, though they do have that db that swapped commits from TCU to Texas the other day. He will be interesting to watch I'm sure. Not exactly sure how Nac seems to get all these D1 recruits at DB so often haha.

2 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Well it really goes hand in hand with getting the running game going. Carthage was able to leave 2 deep safeties because Gilmer as having no real success running the ball. Their corners where playing good press cover, and the screens weren't getting by them too often, so no real reason to bring the 2 safeties down. Once Gilmer's offense got rolling, they couldn't stop them, but too many times Gilmer just fell on their face on the first set of downs. 

The more I think about it, the more I think they will beat Nac though. I just don't know if Nac can stop the, though they do have that db that swapped commits from TCU to Texas the other day. He will be interesting to watch I'm sure. Not exactly sure how Nac seems to get all these D1 recruits at DB so often haha.

I watched Nac once this year versus Lufkin, their D was pretty average to me. Wouldn't surprise me if Gilmer hangs 40-50 on em.