Leroy Breedlove Field?

XX Man

I thought the practice field was named in Breedlove's honor. If that's the case, why does is show on the stadium scoreboard? 

Breedlove never coached varsity football at WO-S. Most of his years were spent at the middle school. There are other ways to honor a longtime coach who did not have a part in varsity football, but a few people in the community made a big deal about doing it this way and now we have this sign. 

I am confused, it is Dan R Hooks Stadium and the field itself is called Leroy Breedlove Field, correct? I do not recall a stadium named for someone and the same "field" name for another. Let us face facts, money and people with influence were behind this. Please someone with in depth knowledge get the 411 on this. Thanks

28 minutes ago, tennisbc said:

I am confused, it is Dan R Hooks Stadium and the field itself is called Leroy Breedlove Field, correct? I do not recall a stadium named for someone and the same "field" name for another. Let us face facts, money and people with influence were behind this. Please someone with in depth knowledge get the 411 on this. Thanks

I don't know about high school but in college there are a few stadiums like that (i.e. Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium for FSU)

6 minutes ago, dBerrySports said:

I don't know about high school but in college there are a few stadiums like that (i.e. Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium for FSU)

dBerry, you are correct that is exactly what happened.  The stadium is named for Dan Hooks, the field is named for Leroy Breedlove.  Other high schools in the area have done that, Vidor, Newton and if I am not mistaken, Nederland, to name a few.

25 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

dBerry, you are correct that is exactly what happened.  The stadium is named for Dan Hooks, the field is named for Leroy Breedlove.  Other high schools in the area have done that, Vidor, Newton and if I am not mistaken, Nederland, to name a few.

I knew that there were, just couldn't remember exactly which ones. Even in the NFL, they have Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium for the Broncos (although I'm sure that will change given Sports Authority shutting down.

43 minutes ago, dBerrySports said:

I knew that there were, just couldn't remember exactly which ones. Even in the NFL, they have Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium for the Broncos (although I'm sure that will change given Sports Authority shutting down.

For whatever reason WOS names all kind of stuff after people.  Libraries, fields, stadiums, etc...  Kind of like Beaumont ISD

Nederland and PNG ISD's don't.  Exception might be our Delyahousee field.  Only thing I can think of.

In a matter of fact way I think it is because of the socio/economic make up of those districts. 

35 minutes ago, Whoa said:

For whatever reason WOS names all kind of stuff after people.  Libraries, fields, stadiums, etc...  Kind of like Beaumont ISD

Nederland and PNG ISD's don't.  Exception might be our Delyahousee field.  Only thing I can think of.

In a matter of fact way I think it is because of the socio/economic make up of those districts. 

Actually, the practice is pretty wide spread in Southeast Texas, Nederland included:

This is the hidden content, please

4 hours ago, griff said:

I thought the practice field was named in Breedlove's honor. If that's the case, why does is show on the stadium scoreboard? 

Breedlove never coached varsity football at WO-S. Most of his years were spent at the middle school. There are other ways to honor a longtime coach who did not have a part in varsity football, but a few people in the community made a big deal about doing it this way and now we have this sign. 

I can think of several coaches who   I think are a lot more deserving of something like this!! And it sure isn't someone's brother n law or uncle. Do they have a name for the crapper because I can sure  find a name that's fits it perfectly and it's not a coach!!

its just like the tread that got shut down yesterday - no one wants to talk about football and the great things this group of kids are trying to accomplish at wos or any of these other schools- some on this site are just trying to create controversy any where they can find it - let go of it and talk about these kids you will feel alot better about yourselves 

Where this thread appears to be going is exactly why the previous thread on this topic was deleted.  While there were equally passionate views both ways, the resolution to attach Coach Breedlove's name to Hooks Stadium was passed by a duly elected board of trustees.  The debate about which whether it remains is that for the current duly elected board which may or may not take it up....given the multitude of issues that this board has in front of them as is before any other school board, I doubt that they believe, and rightly so, that this issue warrants any sort of priority.

The back and forth here on whether Leroy Breedlove deserves his name on the field on Newton Ave. in West Orange will move the needle about as far as all of the debates here that has taken place on whether Carroll Thomas deserves his name on the stadium off of I-10 in West Beaumont.  All that will be accomplished is that nasty things will be said, probably about one another, and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, will result in a major headache for me.

Thus,  by the powers vested in me by Jordan Wilson, I declare this thread CLOSED!