Lumberton at Silsbee/Post scrimmage comments here!

WOSgrad

7 minutes ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

The 29 rushes for 65 yards is what has the Silsbee fans worked up.  But just a reminder, that's about what we held Vidor to for a full 4 quarters last year and we returned most of our defense.  Once Silsbee's Oline gets more reps and the coaches figure out how to get C. Tyler out in space, the Silsbee offense will be good.  Silsbee's defense will need to improve against the run or it won't matter how good the offense is.  Lumberton rushed it 30 times for 226 yds. 

Very good point! 

Sorry about the lack of updates.

Was dealing with an unexpected visitor.... my 4 year old. Lol.

Quick opinion after looking at my written notes and replaying it over in my head.

Silsbee focused on run/pass from under center for the most part.  Mixing runs and passes from I formation.

From what i was told afterwards is that this scrimmage was the O-Line film day. Lumberton played a 4-3 defense (or something similar), 8 in the box was a regular thing and Silsbee took 0 shots down field in the first series, NO outside runs or stretch plays to utilize speed.  Coach Smith was not concerned with testing the offense so much as watching the O-Line.

Now, when Silsbee mixed in the stretch plays, boot legs and went deep (1 Time = TD) there was a remarkable improvement.  Lumberton had no answer for AT up the middle.  A beast. It will be interesting to see how the roles play out.  

Receiving core was a mix.  Mike J out wide was a surprise.  That with no Mackey and no Lowe makes sense on the timing issues.  

Overall, I think speed at which oline makes improvements and how Tyler adjusts to the line will be the key.  I believe it's fine and was a change for sure in the speed at which Silsbee runs offense.

Lumberton was a good opponent to start out with.  They played a well executed run/screen offense.

Stay tuned for defensive opinions.  Lol.

2 minutes ago, ST413 said:

One question as the qb allowed to run/ be hit in this scrimmage saw highlights where he still had a red jersey on.

It might depend on the coaches.  This morning in the Sterling/Ozen scrimmage, the whistle was blown when someone even got near the quarterback.

5 minutes ago, ST413 said:

One question as the qb allowed to run/ be hit in this scrimmage saw highlights where he still had a red jersey on.

You probably also noticed in those highlights then that Silsbee qb would have been sacked before completing the 2nd TD. Lumberton D was told before that series to just touch him as they ran by. Still a nice pass and catch though. 

Defensive Opinions:

I'm still not to clear on the full picture but here goes.

Silsbee played 3-4 for whole scrimmage, I believe. 

Lots of new faces on this defense. Don't have all the names for sure so just bear with.   I'm almost positive that Hagen, McCain & Newton are only returning starters, Most people didn't know that. Two new safeties, one being Tyler. New outside corner with Newton, Thomas playing weak side LB and Dillon playing the Mike LB.  Lots of changes in personnel and we'll... only way is up compared to last year.

No blitzing and played straight zone, of course I could have missed a change.

It was an uneventful defensive performance that left much to the imagination as McCain didn't crash or rush up field much due to offensive sets of lumberton. No down field passing other than typical in and out patterns, middle screens and straight down field rushing with a bootleg here and there.

Won't speculate on reason for no defensive changes, just noticed that Coach Allen didn't berate or change styles so can only say he expected what was happening.

Kicker is Soph Brady Carter and yes, it's a work in progress.  One other change, since Mackey is gone punting duties went to Jones III.

Jmo

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The word I am getting from several in attendance (both Silsbee and Lumberton fans), Silsbee O-line struggled.

Its true...  But both lines needs help.  D line got pushed around and pancaked pretty frequently.  The O-Line got pushed around, especially the tackles...  Lumberton did blitz a. Lot, but I seen individual assignments lost all morning.  But the HC is a line guy.  He'll have them ready for season kickoff, in sure of it...

10 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

...they said it was a fumble...  Both knees was on the ground then he took a hit and the ball came loose...  That's NOT the definition of a fumble.  Just saying...

That's a nice point but I wasn't gonna mention it.  Tyler had already made three guys miss and had another one on his back when the cleanup came in.

8 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Its true...  But both lines needs help.  D line got pushed around and pancaked pretty frequently.  The O-Line got pushed around, especially the tackles...  Lumberton did blitz a. Lot, but I seen individual assignments lost all morning.  But the HC is a line guy.  He'll have them ready for season kickoff, in sure of it...

Right side tackle was busy as it seemed most running plays came their way.  Either by design or cutbacks.  The oline improved significantly the next series and if it's any indication, then experience is the mother of teachers.  As it has always been.

10 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

That's a nice point but I wasn't gonna mention it.  Tyler had already made three guys miss and had another one on his back when the cleanup came in.

True.  Teams will have to account for C and Adonis AND for Jones taking off running...  They're gonna give a Lot of teams fits this year.  So I'm not too worried about this lackluster outing...

9 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

Right side tackle was busy as it seemed most running plays came their way.  Either by design or cutbacks.  The oline improved significantly the next series and if it's any indication, then experience is the mother of teachers.  As it has always been.

I'm sure that's the case...