interesting

stevenash

6 hours ago, REBgp said:

Kudos to the officers.  They left a job making overtime pay out of principle.   I support them.   Heard from an unreliable source that all 24 fans applauded.  Can't confirm that though.

They better hope this doesn't bleed over into street patrols.....you know....battery was dead, got caught by a train, stopped to gas up....etc.

1 hour ago, baddog said:

They better hope this doesn't bleed over into street patrols.....you know....battery was dead, got caught by a train, stopped to gas up....etc.

I don't know i it is true but I read some media reports that said crime was up significantly after the Baltimore riots and police arrests were down. That seems to go hand in hand and I believe that it is certain possible that officer simply quit patrolling. The Baltimore officers would likely respond to all calls as normal if a person calls the police. I am sure that some of them quit looking quite as closely at things that might have looked suspicious to them before the riots. 

3 hours ago, baddog said:

I saw a news story, I think in Chicago, about the cops cruising through a bad neighborhood & seeing things they would've stopped & addressed before.  Now they just keep the windows up and drive on by.  I think they'd stop if they saw a mugging or a gun, but not street dealers, or drunks, etc.  Although it may be their job, I can't blame them, with their lives and careers at stake.

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I don't know i it is true but I read some media reports that said crime was up significantly after the Baltimore riots and police arrests were down. That seems to go hand in hand and I believe that it is certain possible that officer simply quit patrolling. The Baltimore officers would likely respond to all calls as normal if a person calls the police. I am sure that some of them quit looking quite as closely at things that might have looked suspicious to them before the riots. 

And the department will get blasted for that...lose, lose situation.

The big losers will be the Baltimore citizens if this is happening.

2 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

And the department will get blasted for that...lose, lose situation.

The big losers will be the Baltimore citizens if this is happening.

I'd bet that it has happened at least to some extent. You can dispatch an officer to a call and make him go. You can tell what his eyes might miss as he becomes a little less observant while on patrol. 

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I am considerably more confident than you are, TVC184 that this has already happened.  I would further guess, it( the Baltimore situation) has impacted behavior all over the country ( and by behavior, I am referring to police possibly being somewhat less vigilant)

There are two general ways to do police work. There is proactive and there is reactive.  In proactive you actively look for crimes that have happened or are about to happen. You look for suspicious situations or at people that appear to be doing something criminal.  In reactive you simply wait for people to call the police. People call because of a fight in a park, they heard shots fired or they saw an accident. 

The police will always respond to a reactive situation from a caller. In situations like Baltimore it would not be very shocking if some officers' eyesight was not quite as sharp as it once was. When the city leaders try to throw them under the bus, don't be surprised if they don't get near the road. 

7 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

There are two general ways to do police work. There is proactive and there is reactive.  In proactive you actively look for crimes that have happened or are about to happen. You look for suspicious situations or at people that appear to be doing something criminal.  In reactive you simply wait for people to call the police. People call because of a fight in a park, they heard shots fired or they saw an accident. 

The police will always respond to a reactive situation from a caller. In situations like Baltimore it would not be very shocking if some officers' eyesight was not quite as sharp as it once was. When the city leaders try to throw them under the bus, don't be surprised if they don't get near the road. 

Based upon the court cases surrounding the officers, it would appear ( in spite of a myriad of Fed involvement trying so hard to influence situation) that little, if any, of the allegations are going to stick.

2 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Based upon the court cases surrounding the officers, it would appear ( in spite of a myriad of Fed involvement trying so hard to influence situation) that little, if any, of the allegations are going to stick.

Unless they caught an officer trying to cover something up like falsifying a report or have some video of an officer getting in a extra shot on someone already in custody and no longer resisting, the whole thing is a scam by a prosecutor for personal reasons. 

There should be one more prosecution and a huge lawsuit. That would be against at least the head of the prosecution.