New Mayor in P.A.

20 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Good luck to the new Mayor...no reason PA shouldn't be a thriving city...industrial tax base,  great recreational access...assets many cities would love to have.

Hope they start fixing these roads ASAP, he wants to start bringing some new businesses in and revitalize downtown. Glad some younger blood in the Mayor seat now, long as the city council don't bicker between each other they'll get stuff done, maybe that'll keep more young adults in the city instead of moving off to Beaumont or Houston. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Hope they start fixing these roads ASAP, he wants to start bringing some new businesses in and revitalize downtown. Glad some younger blood in the Mayor seat now, long as the city council don't bicker between each other they'll get stuff done, maybe that'll keep more young adults in the city instead of moving off to Beaumont or Houston. 

+1

6 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Good luck to the new Mayor...no reason PA shouldn't be a thriving city...industrial tax base,  great recreational access...assets many cities would love to have.

Railroads, a college, a yacht club, a golf course, plenty of industry, lots and lots of water for recreation, a mall..... what is not to love... other than the double digit unemployment,  crumbling infrastructure, a high crime rate........... 

Yes, they "should" have a lot going for it. 

5 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Railroads, a college, a yacht club, a golf course, plenty of industry, lots and lots of water for recreation, a mall..... what is not to love... other than the double digit unemployment,  crumbling infrastructure, a high crime rate........... 

Yes, they "should" have a lot going for it. 

As a Port Arthur native with my parents still living there, what do you think the answer is to the high crime rate?  

Living in Lumberton, I miss the 15 minute drive to Pleasure Island to salt water fish, the 10 minute drive to Taylor's Bayou to freshwater fish (or both depending), or the 5 minute drive to the Rainbow Bridge to fish. We have two options in Lumberton and they are both the same, Pine Island Bayou or Village Creek.  

There are such cool homes there, but with unemployment and crime, I don't see people rushing to buy houses. As a matter of fact, about 4 years ago, there was a house for sale in Griffin park  for $199,000.  It may have been the old Drago house, not sure about that, but it was 5500 Sq Feet with dual staircases when you walked in the front door. It was beautiful! That is $36 bucks a SQ FT......

2 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

As a Port Arthur native with my parents still living there, what do you think the answer is to the high crime rate?  

Living in Lumberton, I miss the 15 minute drive to Pleasure Island to salt water fish, the 10 minute drive to Taylor's Bayou to freshwater fish (or both depending), or the 5 minute drive to the Rainbow Bridge to fish. We have two options in Lumberton and they are both the same, Pine Island Bayou or Village Creek.  

There are such cool homes there, but with unemployment and crime, I don't see people rushing to buy houses. As a matter of fact, about 4 years ago, there was a house for sale in Griffin park  for $199,000.  It may have been the old Drago house, not sure about that, but it was 5500 Sq Feet with dual staircases when you walked in the front door. It was beautiful! That is $36 bucks a SQ FT......

lots of houses like that in port arthur, but the reason for the $36 dollars a square ft is they are not selling. the houses in the nicer neiborhoods in southeast tx going for up to $126 per square ft(ridiculous)

3 hours ago, nappyroots said:

lots of houses like that in port arthur, but the reason for the $36 dollars a square ft is they are not selling. the houses in the nicer neiborhoods in southeast tx going for up to $126 per square ft(ridiculous)

I hear ya. You could get one heck of a home in Port Arthur. I don't know the answer and hopefully this new Mayor will make a name for himself. I would like to see PA turn around.

21 hours ago, nappyroots said:

You could get this house:

This is the hidden content, please

3 hours ago, nappyroots said:

some of the smaller towns still have a few decent priced homes. but new home prices have far exceeded incomes. (new automobile prices also)

Our problem now is lack of inventory which is driving prices up. Our area has the lowest amount of listings it's ever had since they have tracked it.  I get calls daily from people moving to the area from out of state for work.  That goes with the point someone made before about training PA residents for these jobs instead of hiring workers from out of state.  

I had a client put an offer on a nice $140k house in Nederland last week.  It was listed for less than 24 hours and had 6 offers, 2 of which were cash over the asking price.   It's crazy how fast the houses are selling in our area.  It's definitely a seller's market, so if you are thinking about selling,give me a call!

5 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Our problem now is lack of inventory which is driving prices up. Our area has the lowest amount of listings it's ever had since they have tracked it.  I get calls daily from people moving to the area from out of state for work.  That goes with the point someone made before about training PA residents for these jobs instead of hiring workers from out of state.  

I had a client put an offer on a nice $140k house in Nederland last week.  It was listed for less than 24 hours and had 6 offers, 2 of which were cash over the asking price.   It's crazy how fast the houses are selling in our area.  It's definitely a seller's market, so if you are thinking about selling,give me a call!

I had my house for sale by owner and someone came in with a realtor and bought it for the selling price and the cost of the realtor