Liberalism vs Conservatism Areas

Englebert

Why is liberalism concentrated mostly in populated urban areas and conservatism is mostly concentrated in less populated rural areas?

In a separate question, why is liberalism concentrated mostly on the east and west coasts, while conservatism is concentrated mostly in middle America?

I have no idea. Well, I have a few unexplored theories. I've read some theories back in college, but none would hold water. Same goes for the few I read recently. I'm just curious as to what theories anybody has.

Good question.  Just a guess, but since most liberals are for big govt, and access to govt is in big cities, it's a match made in heaven.  

East coast & west coast, I'm kinda fuzzy on.  They're both liberal, but the west coast is in a league of their own.   

The west coast is highly liberal in most of the urban areas and conservative in most of the rural areas. The population of the urban areas outnumbers the population of the rural areas, but there is a dichotomy. Middle America also has the same type of dichotomy with urban areas being liberal and rural areas being conservative. The east coast is highly liberal in the urban areas, but a lot of the rural areas are also liberal with pockets of conservatives. That's why I posed both questions in the same thread. If you try to look at just rural vs urban in the west coast or middle, any drawn conclusions fail measurably when applied to the east coast. And vice versa.

Another thing, these differences have not remained stable over time. Some cities that were at one time highly conservative and experienced population growth changed to liberal in short order. Some cities did not. Most cities that were liberal and experienced population decline however did not change to conservative. Some rural areas have flip-flopped with little or no population growth.

I have a feeling that both the Democrat and Republican parties have spent a lot of money studying this. I also have a feeling that neither has come up with any significant findings.

My take:

there are many factors involved in the question you posed: middle America is known as the Bible Belt for a reason.  More religious areas tend to be more conservative.  Country folks tend to be more conservative as well, and the center of the country has vast expanses of rural areas.  Both coasts have many big cities. Young people gravitate towards big cities, and younger people tend to be more liberal.  Minorities gravitate to big cities, as do homosexuals, both of which are generally liberal.  Also, people who are not heavily involved in politics tend to let a small handful of political issues dictate their party affiliation, and their location will often dictate which issues they key on.  Gun control issues will keep country folks going to the polls to vote GOP, as guns are often a part of their daily lives.  Gay rights are a bigger deal to people in metropolitan areas, as they'll generally have more gay friends and acquaintances, which will motivate them to vote democrat.  Big cities will also have larger low-income populations, meaning theyll vote democrat due to government assistance programs they benefit from.

On 6/17/2016 at 5:08 PM, Englebert said:

1. Why is liberalism concentrated mostly in populated urban areas and conservatism is mostly concentrated in less populated rural areas?

2. In a separate question, why is liberalism concentrated mostly on the east and west coasts, while conservatism is concentrated mostly in middle America?

1. Handouts.

2. See #1. That is where most urban areas are concentrated. 

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 7:29 PM, stevenash said:

Big Girl knows the answer to this.  Be patient

A lot of illiterate, racist people live in rural areas  (Kkk members, Steve Nash etc),while intelligent people who vote for Democrats live in the most populated areas...........

3 hours ago, Big girl said:
3 hours ago, Big girl said:

A lot of illiterate, racist people live in rural areas  (Kkk members, Steve Nash etc),while intelligent people who vote for Democrats live in the most populated areas...........

Big Girl- What should be done about all of these "illiterate and racist" people?  Do their opinions not matter?  Sounds like your party is only for diversity and tolerance when the results support it.  Since I live in the county in a double wide, does that make me a less  worthy citizen than you?

What I have seen is that tolerance, like complaints of the good ol' boy system, only applies to the other guy. 

No one likes the good ol' boy system........ until he is the good ol' boy. Everyone wants tolerance.... from the other side. 

The Dems seem to play this to the max. It is not that their beliefs are any different in those areas. They however try to claim the high moral ground but live by the mantra, "Don't do as I do, do as I say". 

It's not hard to "connect the dots" (as our friend Smitty liked to say).  The South left the Democratic Party when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed.  It didn't happen overnight but in political time, pretty close.   Southern Democrats began switching parties, like the overtly racist Strom Thurmond.  Gun control and gays have replaced "Negroes"  but the same tunes are being played.  

Although I must say Trump has revived a segment that has been relatively silent in recent years.  He has trouble holding his tongue and says some incredibly dumb things, and it is harder to control his message in this day of instant social media.  But at least, to this point, he hasn't worn his hood in public... 

7 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

It's not hard to "connect the dots" (as our friend Smitty liked to say).  The South left the Democratic Party when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed.  It didn't happen overnight but in political time, pretty close.   Southern Democrats began switching parties, like the overtly racist Strom Thurmond.  Gun control and gays have replaced "Negroes"  but the same tunes are being played.  

Although I must say Trump has revived a segment that has been relatively silent in recent years.  He has trouble holding his tongue and says some incredibly dumb things, and it is harder to control his message in this day of instant social media.  But at least, to this point, he hasn't worn his hood in public... 

The media keeps saying that Trump is a racist, as you have here. Can you point to or show any racist statement Trump has made?

4 minutes ago, Englebert said:

The media keeps saying that Trump is a racist, as you have here. Can you point to or show any racist statement Trump has made?

This is the hidden content, please

if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

B

Based upon the emboldened, I cannot see how any rational person ( regardless of party) can't conclude that Mr. Trumps opponent is overtly and intentionally disingenuous/deceitful.

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

The first link from the Huffington Post has real accusations, including settlements. I couldn't read it because the website kept locking up on me. I will go back and look at that one further.

The second link (Washington Post) is just a common hit piece with no substance. I find it hilarious that they are going after Trump for the Birther Movement when it was Hillary's camp that originated it.

The third (Slate) is just the same as the second but based only on his "Mexico is sending rapists" remarks. He might not have stated it politically correct but his contention was that the Mexican government is encouraging criminals to migrate to the U.S. just as Cuba did when they emptied their prisons. That is in no way a racist remark. He never accused all Mexican illegal immigrants as being rapists.

The fourth (CNN) is just about Paul Ryan disavowing Trump's remarks. Trump was complaining about the judge in one of his cases being biased against him. He implied that the Judge was biased due to his Mexican heritage. After how the media is portraying Trump as hateful towards Mexicans, I can see where he would feel that a judge of Mexican heritage would not give him a fair trial. Minorities bring up this same issue on a daily basis.

20 hours ago, TxHoops said:

He does. He doesn't have a filter. He is going to build a fence , because you know, he is good at doing things like that. He is smart so he can build the fence and he will make umm the Mexican government pay for the fence, because he is smart and it needs to be built and he is good at things like that.

19 hours ago, Englebert said:

The first link from the Huffington Post has real accusations, including settlements. I couldn't read it because the website kept locking up on me. I will go back and look at that one further.

The second link (Washington Post) is just a common hit piece with no substance. I find it hilarious that they are going after Trump for the Birther Movement when it was Hillary's camp that originated it.

The third (Slate) is just the same as the second but based only on his "Mexico is sending rapists" remarks. He might not have stated it politically correct but his contention was that the Mexican government is encouraging criminals to migrate to the U.S. just as Cuba did when they emptied their prisons. That is in no way a racist remark. He never accused all Mexican illegal immigrants as being rapists.

The fourth (CNN) is just about Paul Ryan disavowing Trump's remarks. Trump was complaining about the judge in one of his cases being biased against him. He implied that the Judge was biased due to his Mexican heritage. After how the media is portraying Trump as hateful towards Mexicans, I can see where he would feel that a judge of Mexican heritage would not give him a fair trial. Minorities bring up this same issue on a daily basis.

That dude is racist. Stop trying to defend him.

56 minutes ago, new tobie said:

Are you kidding me? I won't even make that argument if you don't already know.

No, I'm not kidding you. What part of my post makes you think I was joking? This might be your whole problem. Sounds to me like you try to read things that aren't there. Kind of like the media keeps saying Trump is racist because he wants to put a temporary halt on Muslims immigrating to this country. You might disagree with him, but it is not racist.

And you tried to "make that argument" in another post and I shot it down. Seems prudent that you won't try to post that garbage again.

2 hours ago, Big girl said:

Do you live in a manufactured home?

Aren't all homes "manufactured'?  If you mean do I live in a pre-fabricated home, I will be happy to tell you just as soon as you tell me what the significance of that is.  If I cant ask someone if they are gay, transgender or Muslim, why should you be entitled to ask me about my home? Seems like you are trying to discriminate against me and I am "offended".  You must be a prefabphobe!!!

1 hour ago, Englebert said:

No, I'm not kidding you. What part of my post makes you think I was joking? This might be your whole problem. Sounds to me like you try to read things that aren't there. Kind of like the media keeps saying Trump is racist because he wants to put a temporary halt on Muslims immigrating to this country. You might disagree with him, but it is not racist.

And you tried to "make that argument" in another post and I shot it down. Seems prudent that you won't try to post that garbage again.

You haven't shot nothing down dude, use any news source of your choice, your party(republicans) are afraid of trump and his racisist remarks and bigotry, the freakin republican party leaders. some won't even endorse him and some are sorry they did, two of them are ex presidents.

4 minutes ago, new tobie said:

You haven't shot nothing down dude, use any news source of your choice, your party(republicans) are afraid of trump and his racisist remarks and bigotry, the freakin republican party leaders. some won't even endorse him and some are sorry they did, two of them are ex presidents.

Every now and then for the comedy of it, I like to tune in to hannity on the radio, anytime someone gets the best of him, he hangs up.

38 minutes ago, new tobie said:

I'm not defending Trump on whether or not he will make a good president. I don't even like him. But he is not racist. I'm not a Republican so again you are so wrong. I went through the article you posted and showed where his remarks were not racist. Your article was shot down. So you are wrong again. I find it funny that you are trying to label Trump a racist and bigot because the Republican leaders don't like him. Do you even know the meaning of the words?