Fox Commentators Call For Assault Rifle Ban???

BLUEDOVE3

“There is too much gun crime in the USA, and high powered weaponry is too easy to get. That’s the fact. So let’s deal with it. We all have the right to bear arms, but we don’t have the right to buy and maintain mortars — even if you feel threatened by gangsters or a New World Order. No bazookas, no Sherman tanks, no hand grenades. That’s because the Second Amendment clearly states the government has a right to regulate militias, made up of individuals. They have that right in the name of public safety.”

This is the hidden content, please

It also says the right to bear arms "shall not be infringed". I wonder why the Founding Fathers put that little caveat in there.

During the time the Founding Fathers put the right to bear arms in, bazookas, Sherman tanks, hand grenades didn't exist. Firearms were among the most powerful weapons on Earth (we had cannons then). But yet the Founding Fathers didn't see the need to ban the most powerful weapons on Earth. So why do you and Bill O'Reilly think that our Founding Fathers would want to ban these more powerful weapons?

I don't have a problem with the powerful weapons being banned. But I do think that every person, unless convicted of committing a crime while using a gun, should have the right to carry a firearm anytime anywhere.

I just went outside and I have a bunch of the neighbor kids in my backyard shooting their guns. They didn't ask me to be out there. I think I will grab my gun and go teach them a lesson.

Ooops, this isn't the movies, or a left-winger's imagination.

(And the kids know they can come over and fish and shoot guns in my yard without having to ask my permission.)

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

Dove, I know for sure that you would never accept anything that Mr. O'Reilly puts forth.  Why the sudden change?

Im not for banning regular guns, just hoping the lawmakers find a way to not sell assault rifles to anyone with a permit. Don't really know what the solution is but we elected a group of folks to figure this out for us.

7 minutes ago, nappyroots said:

Im not for banning regular guns, just hoping the lawmakers find a way to not sell assault rifles to anyone with a permit. Don't really know what the solution is but we elected a group of folks to figure this out for us.

What do you consider as an assault rifle? That is, what's the difference between a rifle and an assault rifle?

1 hour ago, nappyroots said:

I'd start and end, by not selling to any Muslim that has ever been on a FBI Terrorist Watch List.

Just now, LumRaiderFan said:

That's the tactic the Dems want to use...they want to define what an "assault" rifle is...it won't stop until a. 22 rifle is considered an assault rifle.

I was waiting for him to reply...and I was confident that a .22 rifle was what my response was going to be.

One of the kids shooting in my backyard today has a .22 that looks like an AK47.

20 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I'd start and end, by not selling to any Muslim that has ever been on a FBI Terrorist Watch List.

One thing about writing laws is that they set precedence. If you ban guns from Muslims on the FBI watchlist, you then open yourself up to someone demanding you ban skinheads on the watchlist. You will then have some demanding you ban Black Panthers... and so on and so. In short order you will have everyone, including the Pope, banned from owning a gun.

My opinion is that you don't start banning guns, you start encouraging more people to arm themselves. And you get rid of these damn safe (killing) zones.

49 minutes ago, Englebert said:

One thing about writing laws is that they set precedence. If you ban guns from Muslims on the FBI watchlist, you then open yourself up to someone demanding you ban skinheads on the watchlist. You will then have some demanding you ban Black Panthers... and so on and so. In short order you will have everyone, including the Pope, banned from owning a gun.

My opinion is that you don't start banning guns, you start encouraging more people to arm themselves. And you get rid of these damn safe (killing) zones.

You're absolutely right.  That's how the Left has done everything, a little bite at a time.  IF politicians were honest (which of course they're not), and looking out for the well being of America and Americans, instead of having an agenda, a plan to change/destroy our way of life, then I could live with it.  But that's just not the case.

First, the O'Reilly piece says that the Second Amendment clearly says that the government has the right to regulate militias. That is clearly bogus. I would like someone to point out where it says that.

Secondly, so what? It appears that the OP believes some kind of huge meaning because a generally conservative commentator believes that some weapons should be banned. 

Woohoo....!!

For every O'Reilly out there, I wonder how many gun totin', union member, Democrat votin', rednecks out there who would never vote Republican, are the ones with the bumper stickers that say, "From my cold dead hands!". 

24 minutes ago, Big girl said:

What about people that are not Muslims who are on the terror watch list?

I retracted what I said in my next post.  Yes, any Muslim should be able to buy a weapon if they're a citizen of this country.   Hey, it's a war, everyone needs a gun.

I'd say the definition of an assault rifle is a semi-automatic rifle with a 15+ round clip.

My Ruger Mini-14 is a sweet one and comes with a 5 round clip. Bought it because I wanted to. If someone has a problem with that, tough Shinola. I am stable and have no intention of going postal. 

Do you realize how many millions of guns and gazillion rounds of ammo are owned by law abiding citizens? With numbers like these, if we were a problem, there would be no doubt.