SE Texas All Star

Lazeek

Who would make up the best starting 5 in SE Texas.  Not necessarily the best 5 players, but the best starting 5 at each position.  Please use any classificiation.  I will post mine a little later.

First Team:

PG--Donahoe (HJ)

SG--Brown (PAM)

SF--Thomas (EC)

PF--Powell (KOUNTZE)

C--Netherly (WOS)

Second Team:

PG--Thomas (WOS)

SG--Richard (OZEN)

SF--Letsinger (WH)

PF--Bray (KOUNTZE)

C--Busby (KOUNTZE)

This is JMO!!!!!!

Because Tramain plays the 1 spot too......and he's better.  Tramain does the same thing that Donahoe does, but he's more athletic and more of a threat to score...he's bigger, stronger and just as aware on the court as Donahoe.  Donahoe would be my sixth man though.  Nothing against him, he's real good...it's just Tramain is better.

Guest neon_bodeau

You continue to say that Donahoe struggles to score or that Thomas is more of a scorer than Donahoe.

You should check your stats before you say that.  I think you'll find that Donahoe has done much more scoring than Thomas.  Not taking away from Thomas.....he is a great player but, to say that he is a better scorer than Donahoe is not accurate.  Thomas is a slasher type (one footed jumper if you will).  He gets to the rim in a finesse type of way.  He is a good 3 point shooter with his feet set.  Donahoe is more of a power player (two footed jumper if you will).  He plays with much more strength.  He handles contact better.  Donahoe can hit the three just like Thomas and gets to the rim with a different style.  Where Donahoe separates himself is with his ability to hit the pull-up jumper off the dribble.  Donahoe is much better at creating his own shot without the pass.  No doubt, Tramain will develop these attributes as he has another year of school left.

Also, Donahoe is probably the most TRUE point guard in SE Texas.  He is a floor general that makes everyone around him better.  Then, when people get caught up in dealing with other teammates he sticks one.  His numbers are deceiving this year because he has been moved to a scoring position and has not run the point unless the situation calls for it.

Tramain is a classic tweener.  Good height for a PG but not all the skills that a PG needs at the next level (doesn't mean he can't develop them).  He is tall enough to be a shooting guard but does not possess the deadly 3 point shot off the screen, off the dribble, or the ability to create his own jump shot off the dribble (yet).  See former Buna great Clayton Allen for a great Tramain Thomas comparison.  Tramain will no doubt be a good college player.  However, his tweener status may hurt his prospects a little.  His options as a football player may lure him away from basketball.  He has got WR/FS written all over him at the big time DI level.

That's exactly what Tramain can do...hit the 15-17 foot jumper no problem.  He's great off the dribble and can finish with either hand equally.  I was impressed that Donahoe made what 39 points off layups in the game against Newton, after the Newton couldn't break the press and just handed him the ball under their own basket.  I'm talking, In a half court set Thomas would be more of a threat to score.  And do you have both of their season totals in the points column, I don't doubt you do but I'd like to see them.  If you got them...post them.  Besides I haven't continued to say anything...I just got on this board.

Guest neon_bodeau

Let's see.....HJ forced only 7 turnovers in the second half of the Newton game and Newton ran a box and one on Donahoe the ENTIRE second half.  He scored 16 in the second half.  Donahoe operates just fine in the half court.  In fact, that is where he is at his best.  Thomas is the better open court player because of his speed and athleticism.  I can't count the number of times I have seen Donahoe pull up around the elbow, take full body contact in the air, and still knock down the jumper.  Tramain doesn't have that aspect of the game YET.  I have access to both their numbers and will get them.  I know this off the top of my head, Donahoe has put up 30+ around a dozen times this season including a 49 point performance.

Congrats on the 49 point performance and HAMSHIRE-FANNETT...arguably the worst team in the area.  This is an opinion of who an All-Star team would be...I'm sure some people would agree with me, and some wouldn't.  You don't agree with me, and I'm not telling you you're wrong for it. 

At the end of the game against Kountze.  Tramain gets the ball at the top of the Key and repeatedly takes whoever he wants to the goal. In the half court set.  He could do that anytime he wants, defenders don't have a chance they are at his mercy. 

From what i see, there is no reason why Ryan Donahoe should be left off the All Star Team. He is arguably the best player in SETX High School Basketball. And I will agree about messing with HJ Fans, they are crazy. And they are right most of the time. And what are your stats on Tramain? How does he match up against Donahoe? I think if you look further into this, you might find out why we are putting Donahoe in front of Tramain.

Guest neon_bodeau

49 is 49 and is an accomplishment against anyone.  Especially when you only play about half the game and you still get others involved.

Tramain did take over the game at the end against Kountze.  No doubt.  Just as he should have.  However, to say he can take anyone, anytime off the dribble in the half court is not true.  He was able to do what he did at the end of the Kountze game because of the situation and what Kountze was forced to do.  Kountze had to come out and play man (something they NEVER do) and could not help off or EC would just kick out, reverse, and continue to run time.  They had to play true 1 on 1 basketball.  No help defense at all.  In this case, as he should Tramain took over.  However, I'll go back to Donahoe's performance TWICE against WOS where he had a MAJOR DI athlete guarding him from a team that plays man to man alot and he scored 38.  At WOS, he took over the game in the second half and especially the fourth quarter where the ball was in his hands almost every possession and he did whatever he wanted: got to the rim, hit the pull up jumper, and made every free throw.  I'll put Donahoe's resume up against Thomas' anytime.

Again JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I watch all kinds of games all year...I've seen Donahoe play four or five times this year.  I watch a lot of teams play throughout the year, I don't follow just one team.  HJ people think Donahoe is the best player in Southeast Tx., that's just the way they are. and I support them for staying faithful to their team.  But watching him all year and not anyone else that's worth anything just stamps it that he's the best player.  Sorry guys, there are other players out there (one J'covan Brown) who Donahoe can't hold a candle to.  I'm done with this thread....besides who's your center in this all-star team?? sure hope it ain't HJ's.  Go to HoopInsider.com and look at the top25 player rankings...they are that way for a reason!

Guest neon_bodeau

I see plenty of games each year too.  I don't just see HJ's.  Am a fan and have links out there but watch HS basketball year around.  I have seen all of these guys play.  You are right on one thing......Thomas nor Donahoe can hold a candle to Brown.......talent wise.  However, their academic accomplishments, character, and citizenship will carry them both much further.  Thomas and Donahoe can be counted on in crucial moments when things are not going their way.  The same cannot be said for Mr. Brown.  Though I hope he straightens out his issues because he is one heck of a talent.

Regarding my center.........I left it blank for a reason.  There is not a dominant one in this area.  I like the kid from Silsbee but hesitated to put him in there because people like you would claim I am biased, uneducated, and have not seen enough games.

Regarding the HJ center.......you should check your facts and story before you down a kid.  Anyone who knows this kid and his story knows he is a true success to be where he is right now.

He was cut as a 6'5" 7th and 8th grader.  He was cut as a 6'7" 9th grader.  He had a sister pass away just before he got to junior high and basketball was all he had.  Then....he was cut and given up on.  He started giving up in return, academically and what not.  Two years ago, he was given a chance by Sutherland and staff.  He literally could not do a single push up, and could not run a full lap around a track without walking.  He played JV sparingly.  This year he ran cross country and was squatting 250 last I heard.  He has worked his tail off and two years later is starting and contributing signifcantly to HJ's success despite his inconsistent play.  As an 18 year old kid, this is his first full season of basketball EVER in his life.  He makes his grades, is a GREAT kid, and is very very raw.  He has had a couple of juco's look at him.  Perhaps check the full background of a kid before you judge.

Guest neon_bodeau

I have to disagree about the supporting cast statement.  HJ is much deeper than EC....thus EC's recent changes defensively.

Also, Kountze ran a box and 1 Friday night in the second half against EC on Thomas......for about 3 or 4 possessions.

Guest neon_bodeau

Just saying....Thomas sees special defenses.  But just like Donahoe, they don't work.  Both teams have good supporting casts......HJ is just a little deeper.

Spinks, you could run a triangle and 2 though. Neon_, are you sure that was a box and 1 because I've talked to Coach Jubourt about it and he said that they have never practiced it.  BTW I wasn't commenting on anything personal about the HJ center..I was messing with you about HJ sticking by their players, I was playin' around!

Guest neon_bodeau

Positive about the box and 1........heard them say it.....and it was easy to see...Tramain stood out at half court at one point with a guy denying him (back to the ball) and the other four stood in a zone.

Because Tramain plays the 1 spot too......and he's better.  Tramain does the same thing that Donahoe does, but he's more athletic and more of a threat to score...he's bigger, stronger and just as aware on the court as Donahoe.  Donahoe would be my sixth man though.  Nothing against him, he's real good...it's just Tramain is better.

WOW your arent to smart

I think that Hoopinsider will be updating his player standings soon and I guarantee that Donahoe will be higher than the #5 ranking that he currently holds!!!

I agree with you 100%. Cam had a terrible game and he hasn't been playin better than Busby, grant it Cam has been sick but hey...that's how it goes.  But he won't take over the #2 spot

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder