2016/17 Hardin Jefferson Hawks

2 hours ago, winwin said:

Home grown is hard to define at Kelly. Kelly doesn't have automatic feeder schools since its a private school. Kraemer, Baker, Valsin all enrolled as Freshman. Cannon Broussard transferred in as a Soph and Dareiyus Richard transferred in as a Jr. All 5 are returning. As for any HJ transfers, I can tell you that nothing is ever a "done deal" when talking about Kelly. Every year we have at least 3 "done deal" transfers and they never materialize. This much I can tell you....registration for the 2016-2017 year opened a couple of months ago. As of today, no HJ players have registered, submitted transcripts or paid the registration fee. There is this assumption that Kelly gives athletic scholarships. ANY athletic scholarship in either UIL or TAPPS is considered a recruiting violation...so no such scholarship exists. The only assistance that families receive at Kelly is the sliding scale tuition. All students have to pay the following fees BEFORE school even starts: $200 Registration Fee, $460 Annual Fee, $250 Athletic Fee, $200 Technology Fee, $75 Supplies Fee, $45 Tuition Fee, and $20 New Student Fee. That means ALL Kelly students will have to pay $1250 in just fees before the year even starts. These aren't waived for anyone under any circumstances. Then there's tuition. You can either pay in full or break it into 10 monthly payments. Catholic families get a discount. Here's the tuition schedule PER STUDENT for Catholic families (it's a little more for non-Catholic families):

Family Combined Income of:

$24,999 or less  - $3,325  Year

$25,000 - 35,000 - $4,700  Year

$35,001 - 50,000 - $5,925  Year

$50,001 - 75,000 - $7,275  Year

$75,001 - 100,000 - $8,675  Year

$100,001 – 150,000 - $10,125 Year

$150,001 and up - $11,175  Year

International Students  - $16,075  Year

And I already know people talk about other parents helping families that cant afford it. Whether or not this happens, there's no way for us to know about it. I would guess that anyone coming in would fall into the $50k - $100K tuition. Hard to imagine someone would fork up THAT kind of money for an athlete. lol. So, NOTHING is a done deal at Kelly. People don't do enough investigating during the summer and then end up going somewhere else in August. Happens every year. So we make it a habit of not getting our hopes up until they show up for basketball class :) 

I'm probably not the only one who knows more than one Kelly parent who "invests" between 100K-1M/yr in different needy organizations for tax benefits.  So this amount of money would not even be a drop in the bucket.  Could one of these low-income, high-ability athletes qualify as a needy organization according to the IRS?  I'm betting there are some pretty smart attorneys and former-auditors who could figure out how to legally make that happen.  I'm not saying that is happening but let's not pretend that it would be science-fiction or anything. 

35 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

Or All Saints as well.  

Yes I'm sure some families seek assistance from other people for tuition. But this is a violation and if that happens, the student must sit out a year of varsity. TAPPS encourages these circumstances for enrollment...but like I said, they have to sit one year. And there a lot of kids that come to Kelly from the BISD in the 9th grade that aren't athletes. I have some friends that did so and they chose not to spend the money in the first 8 years at St. Anne, All Saints or St. Anthony because the high school years were more important to them from a college acceptance stand point. 

The K-8 private schools in Beaumont are - St. Anne, St. Anthony and All Saints. But we also get kids from St. Catherine in Port Arthur and St. Mary in Orange. Legacy K-8 kids normally go to Legacy.

As it stands today, next year will look like this: (No starting spot is safe as you know lol) Only two transfers and all other players enrolled as freshmen.

Returning Varsity Starters 2016-2017:

Sr. Tevin Baker - (Port Arthur Public) 4 year starter

Sr. John Kraemer - (St. Anne) 4 year starter

Sr. Cannon Broussard - (Nederland Transfer) 3 year starter

Jr. Jomard Valsin (Port Arthur Public) 3 year starter

Sr. Dareiyus Richard - (Bmt Central Transfer) 2 year starter

Returning Varsity 2016-2017:

Soph. Kevin Dotson (St. Anthony)

Soph. Drew Rawls (St. Anthony)

Sr. Simon Guillory (St. Anthony)

Sr. Josh Payne (All Saints)

JV Move Up for 2016-2017:

Sr. Nick King (Port Arthur Public)

Sr. Cameron Meaux (St. Anne)

Sr. Paul Bleuel (St. Anne)

Sr. Zack Roberts (St. Anthony)

Sr. Cade Theriot (Lumberton)

22 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

Is there a reason to go to Kelly over HJ?  I just don't see how that helps the athletes.

My guess would be that this is less about going to Kelly and more about leaving HJ.  See, HJ plays TEAM basketball and sometimes the INDIVIDUAL spotlight is not as bright in true TEAM basketball.  I don't see any other reason to make this move that would explain it any better.

2 minutes ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

I'm probably not the only one who knows more than one Kelly parent who "invests" between 100K-1M/yr in different needy organizations for tax benefits.  So this amount of money would not even be a drop in the bucket.  Could one of these low-income, high-ability athletes qualify as a needy organization according to the IRS?  I'm betting there are some pretty smart attorneys and former-auditors who could figure out how to legally make that happen.  I'm not saying that is happening but let's not pretend that it would be science-fiction or anything. 

You are somewhat correct. But I am certain that IF a parent "invests" in a student to come to Kelly, there is no IRS benefit. It would be out of the goodness of their heart. lol. Like I said, IF it happens, it is kept quiet. So the question becomes, which parent is going to invest $8000-$10,000 for a basketball player??? Surely not a regular old parent. And I don't know of any basketball parents cutting those kind of checks. Which brings me back to my original point. In almost 99% of the cases, if the students parent isn't willing to pay the $1250 in fees and $700-$900 monthly in tuition, they aren't coming to Kelly. But there is always that 1% so we just sit and wait.

12 minutes ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

My guess would be that this is less about going to Kelly and more about leaving HJ.  See, HJ plays TEAM basketball and sometimes the INDIVIDUAL spotlight is not as bright in true TEAM basketball.  I don't see any other reason to make this move that would explain it any better.

And Kelly plays team basketball as well...which REALLY confuses me about any move for individual reason, if that's the case. We feature no one player. No plays are called for anyone. Last year here's how the season ended in scoring....hard to be more balanced than THAT! lol

John Kraemer - 336 - 11.6 PPG

Cannon Broussard - 326 - 11.2 PPG

Tevin Baker - 317 - 10.6 PPG

Dareiyus Richard - 257 - 9.2 PPG

Jomard Valsin - 248 - 8.3 PPG

55 minutes ago, winwin said:

You are somewhat correct. But I am certain that IF a parent "invests" in a student to come to Kelly, there is no IRS benefit. It would be out of the goodness of their heart. lol. Like I said, IF it happens, it is kept quiet. So the question becomes, which parent is going to invest $8000-$10,000 for a basketball player??? Surely not a regular old parent. And I don't know of any basketball parents cutting those kind of checks. Which brings me back to my original point. In almost 99% of the cases, if the students parent isn't willing to pay the $1250 in fees and $700-$900 monthly in tuition, they aren't coming to Kelly. But there is always that 1% so we just sit and wait.

You are correct.  Now that I think about it, any of these generous people that i speak of have never really shown an interest in basketball.  So I agree the money for a basketball player would not be coming from one of these sources

58 minutes ago, winwin said:

And Kelly plays team basketball as well...which REALLY confuses me about any move for individual reason, if that's the case. We feature no one player. No plays are called for anyone. Last year here's how the season ended in scoring....hard to be more balanced than THAT! lol

John Kraemer - 336 - 11.6 PPG

Cannon Broussard - 326 - 11.2 PPG

Tevin Baker - 317 - 10.6 PPG

Dareiyus Richard - 257 - 9.2 PPG

Jomard Valsin - 248 - 8.3 PPG

That came out wrong.  It's not that Kelly doesn't focus as much on the TEAM, but possibly that this student-athlete has visions of his Individual talent being more on display at a school other than HJ.  Kelly is a logical choice because there are no problems with UIL transfer rules and Kelly's basketball program is really strong among private school options.

2 minutes ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

That came out wrong.  It's not that Kelly doesn't focus as much on the TEAM, but possibly that this student-athlete has visions of his Individual talent being more on display at a school other than HJ.  Kelly is a logical choice because there are no problems with UIL transfer rules and Kelly's basketball program is really strong among private school options.

LOL. No I didn't take it as a negative. I'm not a fan of any player wanting to leave a school for individual reasons. And by that I mean he isn't getting enough touches, playing time, points, etc. I don't know that to be the case with the HJ players...just rumors really. So I posted the stats to show it would be tough to be "featured" next year at Kelly. Especially from next years crop of players in the area. I may be biased, but we already have the best class of 2018 player in the area :) TxHoops would probably agree. Valsin is a grown man and very tough match up.

As for the original question in the thread, as long as Clay Davis is the coach, the Hawks will be successful.   To define what I mean by successful, they will be a playoff team, a threat to win any playoff game, and the kids will be well coached.  Period. 

I know a LOT of parents who would love to have their kid play for Clay.  I've seen HJ play several times over the past two years and thought they were well coached on each and every occasion.  Just as important (and maybe more so), he is the kind of person you want your sons around.  

Bottom line: there aren't many basketball coaches around here who are in the same conversation with Davis. 

If parquet is going to Kelly. I'm sure his parents are very well aware of the yearly fees and are able to pay them themselves.  I have had the opportunity of watching him play a few times since he has been at HJ the kid can flat out play. BUT and that conjunction is always apart of every conversation.  HJ has always had a great coach leading a great program. One kid can help a program(Kelly LOL) but one kid leaving wont be the death of a  great program. I'm sure Coach Davis is going to miss this kid but life goes on and he is very well capable of preparing the next person in line for the job. Good luck to the kid, Kelly and HJ.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 3:26 PM, Barney Fife said:

If parquet is going to Kelly. I'm sure his parents are very well aware of the yearly fees and are able to pay them themselves.  I have had the opportunity of watching him play a few times since he has been at HJ the kid can flat out play. BUT and that conjunction is always apart of every conversation.  HJ has always had a great coach leading a great program. One kid can help a program(Kelly LOL) but one kid leaving wont be the death of a  great program. I'm sure Coach Davis is going to miss this kid but life goes on and he is very well capable of preparing the next person in line for the job. Good luck to the kid, Kelly and HJ.

I posted that for the general audience because apparently more than one kid is rumored to be coming to Kelly. And having the ability to pay is different from being willing to pay. The rumor I keep hearing is that kids are getting a scholarship to Kelly...which is flat out not true. No such scholarship exists. So I posted the tuition to clear the air about how it works. Not directed at the Parquets at all.

I didnt think you were posting anything negative about the family... And the purpose of my statement was that If money was an issue(even if illegal scholarships were promised) why in the heck would a talented kid leave a FREE state recognized basketball program to go to an     expensive  private school that is loaded with returning talent. He/them must think the grass is greener elsewhere. The only people that will really know the truth will be that family and the HJ Staff.  Like I said before Coach Davis is very capable of preparing the rest of his kids to become a dominate team again next year.  Just curious where would a kid get the most exposure HJ or kelly.

2 hours ago, Barney Fife said:

I didnt think you were posting anything negative about the family... And the purpose of my statement was that If money was an issue(even if illegal scholarships were promised) why in the heck would a talented kid leave a FREE state recognized basketball program to go to an     expensive  private school that is loaded with returning talent. He/them must think the grass is greener elsewhere. The only people that will really know the truth will be that family and the HJ Staff.  Like I said before Coach Davis is very capable of preparing the rest of his kids to become a dominate team again next year.  Just curious where would a kid get the most exposure HJ or kelly.

Most of his exposure would come in the summer at certified tournaments. And I don't know the entire situation either but its hard to imagine a kid would want to leave a top-notch program like Coach Davis runs. To make an analogy, it would be like leaving Princeton for Harvard. Little to no difference.

3 hours ago, Barney Fife said:

But we all know the grass was pretty green right where he was standing so it has to be something else.  

On 3/21/2016 at 3:43 PM, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

with Saladin and Roberts graduating, next year's HJ team (and the year after) are shaping up to be entirely Parquet's team.  I would imagine it would be similar to when Bosha was there and everything went through him the last couple of years.  There might be some belief that HJ doesn't have a real great chance of making a playoff run the next couple of years, but realistically, i don't see Kelly making one either.  They were vastly improved this year, but still struggled against the big schools in district and the playoffs. Family could also be the driving factor behind a possible move.  It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. 

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

with Saladin and Roberts graduating, next year's HJ team (and the year after) are shaping up to be entirely Parquet's team.  I would imagine it would be similar to when Bosha was there and everything went through him the last couple of years.  There might be some belief that HJ doesn't have a real great chance of making a playoff run the next couple of years, but realistically, i don't see Kelly making one either.  They were vastly improved this year, but still struggled against the big schools in district and the playoffs. Family could also be the driving factor behind a possible move.  It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. 

Why is this a belief. Its obvious they will loose alot in graduation and even more with parquet leaving but There are still some really good ball players at  H J. Quality returners from varsity. few more injured players and add in the few from the JV and 9th teams and Coach Davis will be set. They will be a very young team. but hey look at the best team in SETX......The showed us all year long that youth means nothing:) Had to throw that tiger love in. I only hate HJ 2 r 3 times a year but love them otherwise.

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Yes. Thats what makes me doubt the rumor. But like I said a few posts back, it all shapes up in August. So we wait and see. 

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

But I disagree on one point...Kelly will make a playoff run next year :)

1 hour ago, Barney Fife said:

Why is this a belief. Its obvious they will loose alot in graduation and even more with parquet leaving but There are still some really good ball players at  H J. Quality returners from varsity. few more injured players and add in the few from the JV and 9th teams and Coach Davis will be set. They will be a very young team. but hey look at the best team in SETX......The showed us all year long that youth means nothing:) Had to throw that tiger love in. I only hate HJ 2 r 3 times a year but love them otherwise.

Someone corrected me earlier but without Parquet as far as varsity returners there are only 2, that's why some are not so optimistic.