Scum Shoots Philly Cop...

smitty

One of the keys to survival in a deadly encounter or potential deadly encounter is not the will to survive but the will to prevail. Maybe even most officers do not have that will which is mental and thought out well ahead of time. Many, particularly younger officers, tend to think of how to get out of an encounter and that is good if it can be done before the action starts. It is always better not to fight rather than to try and win a fight. Once it starts however, there needs to be a mindset to attack and prevail, not merely survive.

I bring that up not because of who shot that officer, the reason he did so or any other factors. That officer was shot multiple times at point blank range and could have stayed in or near his car and waited for responding units and it would be a perfectly understandable response. He chose not to sit back and wait for help but after being seriously injured, charged at the suspect and tried to keep him from injuring any other officer or civilian. 

It was an awesome job by the officer for not only surviving a horrific ambush but finishing the job like he is supposed to. People sometimes toss around and overuse hero or heroic actions like everyone gets a trophy or every action is heroic. I think this officer lived up to the heroic actions and is a credit to the police service. 

When I am driving my truck and I see a cop car, my first reaction is to check and see if I am speeding. Then I hope the traffic light does not change unfavorably so I have to slam the brakes or risk running it red. In other words, the presence of a police officer should make you aware of the law and tow the line. On top of all of that thought, their presence should make us feel comfortable that they are there in the first place. I even wave at the sheriff's patrol cruising my road.

What has our society come to when officers have to constantly be looking over their shoulder? Their job is tough enough without someone lying in wait to attempt to murder them. It's really crazy.

tvc, I do care why this man did this to that officer since we are supposed to allow 10,000 Syrian refugees into the country within a year's time. It will be Obama's legacy. It will only get worse. Thank you for being a cop.

Yesterday I saw the video of the incident and was amazed that officer Hartnett exited his vehicle and pursued the attacker.  As TVC pointed out, it would have been understandable (expected) for him to remain in the car until help arrived. Something almost everyone would do.  Not him.  If you were in combat this is the kind of guy you'd want in a foxhole with you.  

Above and beyond the call of duty?  You bet!  IMO What officer Hartnett did meets every criteria of the word hero.  

47 minutes ago, PAMFAM10 said:

I never been shot but I would assume getting ambushed hit several times would shake up the average Joe. To then have the strength and bravery to get out patrol car and return fire striking the guy. This guy deserve his own chuck Norris style jokes. bad ass. 

I agree +1000% Pam.