AAU TEACHINGS????

From the sound of things, AAU basketball to the people of this website is very narrow-minded and a waste. That's a shame when trying to discuss AAU as a whole. For all the bad coaches who throw together a summer team, there are just as many Good coaches that are out to teach the players good habits on the court and improve them before the start of their high school season. It all comes down to the coach. What are you looking to get out of this? Are you promoting yourself or the kids?

I will do everything I can do teach kids defense in the summer. Proper man-to-man, correct rotations, different zones, etc.. The more exposure to that type of coaching, the better! The coaches who just sit back and "Roll a ball out" are wasting time and people money. For those opposing the AAU basketball world, I would recommend getting out and see the good programs and teams. That's where the team basketball is

Good points.

From the sound of things, AAU basketball to the people of this website is very narrow-minded and a waste. That's a shame when trying to discuss AAU as a whole. For all the bad coaches who throw together a summer team, there are just as many Good coaches that are out to teach the players good habits on the court and improve them before the start of their high school season. It all comes down to the coach. What are you looking to get out of this? Are you promoting yourself or the kids?

I will do everything I can do teach kids defense in the summer. Proper man-to-man, correct rotations, different zones, etc.. The more exposure to that type of coaching, the better! The coaches who just sit back and "Roll a ball out" are wasting time and people money. For those opposing the AAU basketball world, I would recommend getting out and see the good programs and teams. That's where the team basketball is.

Well, someone hit the nail on the head.  

Not once did I say AAU was a waste my point is Some AAU players pick up bad basketball habits and develop poor competition etiquette. And faced with competing with (teammates) for shots  are more focused on scoring and trying to make some highlight reel play, than trying to become REAL basketball players who can excel in all aspects of the game. The game is more than physical and definitely more than just offense. There comes a time when someone runs faster or jumps higher. And on those nights when the ball just will not go in for you  what else can you offer to your team.

Not once did I say AAU was a waste my point is Some AAU players pick up bad basketball habits and develop poor competition etiquette. And faced with competing with (teammates) for shots  are more focused on scoring and trying to make some highlight reel play, than trying to become REAL basketball players who can excel in all aspects of the game. The game is more than physical and definitely more than just offense. There comes a time when someone runs faster or jumps higher. And on those nights when the ball just will not go in for you  what else can you offer to your team.

And I'm still trying to see the differences between high school and summer (ball).

So you see no difference, and AAU has become so invasive that high school ball looks, feels and sounds like AAU to you? Should they  let the AAU coach do the job year round?  If your love for AAU is that all encompassing maybe they should do away with HS ball and play AAU year round.

There is a reason, that the NBA has a D- league now, and it aint about the level of money it brings in.  Its about trying to maintain a certain level of product. A league with a 2 round draft can't find 60 players a year that are ready to play Out of the 10's of thousands that are AAU alumni. ( Watch out for the fundamentally sound Europeans and South Americans)  Maybe a lack of PROPER training in the formative years is causing NBA and college coaches to look elsewhere. Oh todays player can  run and jump but they can't pass, cut, move, rebound ,defend or execute a simple offense with out trying to isolate. High school and College coaches should be falling out all across the country trying to break bad habits. I  love Basketball and I love to watch kids play and AAU has its place but its not as high on the shelf as you all think.

It really depends on what level of AAU you are talking about, I guess.  There are probably thousands of tournaments now and more than I could imagine.  And granted, I only see a sample of them.  But in the ones I watch, as a whole, the coaching is better than the average high school coach.  For instance, the team out of Bridgeport was coached by someone who was hired away from a high school, and was one of the winningest coaches in the Metroplex area.  Obviously, we are talking about generalities here (which is problematic at the outset).  I can only speak to what I see and observe which is a relatively small sample size.  You critics may be watching something completely different and be 100% correct.

I am saying that most teams have a coach as good or better than a Brian English or a Kevin Foster?  Absolutely not.  But in our circuit alone last year, two of the teams were coached by Jeff McInnis and Tim Legler.  A couple of guys who know a thing or two about the game..

There is a reason, that the NBA has a D- league now, and it aint about the level of money it brings in.  Its about trying to maintain a certain level of product. A league with a 2 round draft can't find 60 players a year that are ready to play Out of the 10's of thousands that are AAU alumni. ( Watch out for the fundamentally sound Europeans and South Americans)  Maybe a lack of PROPER training in the formative years is causing NBA and college coaches to look elsewhere. Oh todays player can  run and jump but they can't pass, cut, move, rebound ,defend or execute a simple offense with out trying to isolate. High school and College coaches should be falling out all across the country trying to break bad habits. I  love Basketball and I love to watch kids play and AAU has its place but its not as high on the shelf as you all think.

Its the parent's fault.Too many parents want their kids on AAU teams and the benefits that come playing with these teams, and over half the kids have no skill set. And it sure wasn't the high schools where the kids learned a skill and AAU is not the place to learn either. I knew a parent who sent her son to a European school to gain more fundamentals because the parent felt it wasn't being learned in the US. After one year, the kid came back with no noticeably improved skill. I find it interesting that people want to blame AAU. Let me throw out a hint and get those brain cells working. AAU has been around a long-ggg time. Did you know this? ( Here are TWO important questions for you to think on) (1)So why is it so different now with all the hype that comes with playing AAU?  (2)People outside of AAU (Summer Ball) want to complain about the summer ball experience and its open season period for college coaches to watch kids play. AAU is not the cause for college coaches not coming by the high schools to find talent like back in the day. 

And don't get me wrong, I am no big fan of AAU or Summer Ball, but I do recognize where some of fingers should be pointing to, other than these two. Sometimes its the silent partner who is really pulling the strings and keeping their hands clean. Some of yall so busy complaining about AAU , you really don't see the true enemy that's driving this whole thing.