AAU TEACHINGS????

To piggyback off of 5gallon there are elements of AAU that are good but there are things that are  not conducive to making High school players or High school basketball better. I am a basketball junkie and AAU has its place, but in most cases it is better suited to be the roof and not the foundation.

And there are elements of high school that have not changed with the times which leads to the fact that it has become somewhat of an  insignificant rec league flava, just going through the motions.

And there are elements of high school that have not changed with the times which leads to the fact that it has become somewhat of an  insignificant rec league flava, just going through the motions.

I can see that, and again we ve allowed PRO sports to dictate this do to the $.  And we all know the percentage of bankrupt/broke former NBA players.

SELF PROMOTION is more important thanTEAM PROMOTION = instant, but short success in the grand scheme.

I would rather my kid learn to be part of a TEAM, which means work together. Than become a selfish individual on the court as well as off.

Edited by 5GallonBucket

I can see that, and again we ve allowed PRO sports to dictate this do to the $.  And we all know the percentage of bankrupt/broke former NBA players.

SELF PROMOTION is more important thanTEAM PROMOTION = instant, but short success in the grand scheme.

I would rather my kid learn to be part of a TEAM, which means work together. Than become a selfish individual on the court as well as off.

No argument from me but like you said in so many words, it is what it is. 

Changed with the times as in allowing kids to play the way they want to play. Just because you can score a basketball doesn't make you a basketball player. Any coach who tries to coach a high school team like coaching AAU would not have a job very long. Some of the kids have no respect for the GAME (Effort, teamwork, sacrifice) for the Officials good or bad calls; their opponents players,  coaches or fans. I have been around, played and watched basketball for a long time and today's high school and AAU players would have their milk money taking from them by some of those Lincoln, Hebert, BCP and Silsbee teams albeit in a very aggressive and respectful manner.

A lot of good points made. I agree with both sides of the argument. But you can't really generalize it. It really does depend on the coach and environment of the AAU organization. I coach both AAU and High School ball, so I see the benefits from both sides. Like it or not, AAU ball does help the individual develop his skill set. If you play for a coach that just rolls the ball out and tells you to get after it and go to work, then no, the player will not develop his basketball IQ or concept of playing team basketball. Regardless, he will play tougher competition and will be better for it. It does however drive me crazy to watch coaches just play man to man an entire AAU season. They aren't learning the complete game of basketball. If these kids go to college, they will HAVE to learn multiple defenses and speeds at which to play the game. I can speak for my Defenders team and say that we run 2-3, 1-2-2. 1-3-1, man, half court traps, full court press, multiple inbound plays, press breaks...we mix it up. I teach my kids the value of keeping the other team off balance and playing to the our opponents weakness. Last year my team consisted of the following players through out the year:

Tevin Baker, John Kraemer and Dareiyus Richard from Beaumont Kelly. Jase Miguez and Kevin Howard from Nederland. Michael Saladin and Jamerson Roberts from Hardin Jefferson. Devin Ellis and Geary Senigaur from Central. Josh Hockless from Baytown Lee.

I would consider Baker, Kraemer, Richard, Miguez, Howard, Saladin and  Roberts some of the better players in SE Texas. I coach them, feed them, raise money for them, travel with them...and it's all for them. I want them to learn the game, have fun, build friendships, see new places and stay out of trouble in the summer. Last year when we went to New Orleans, it was the first time for most of the guys to be there. And wrapping up the day with Xbox tournaments in the room seems to be the highlight of their day. These are experiences that they will look back on and remember forever. So try not to paint it with a broad brush :)

A lot of good points made. I agree with both sides of the argument. But you can't really generalize it. It really does depend on the coach and environment of the AAU organization. I coach both AAU and High School ball, so I see the benefits from both sides. Like it or not, AAU ball does help the individual develop his skill set. If you play for a coach that just rolls the ball out and tells you to get after it and go to work, then no, the player will not develop his basketball IQ or concept of playing team basketball. Regardless, he will play tougher competition and will be better for it. It does however drive me crazy to watch coaches just play man to man an entire AAU season. They aren't learning the complete game of basketball. If these kids go to college, they will HAVE to learn multiple defenses and speeds at which to play the game. I can speak for my Defenders team and say that we run 2-3, 1-2-2. 1-3-1, man, half court traps, full court press, multiple inbound plays, press breaks...we mix it up. I teach my kids the value of keeping the other team off balance and playing to the our opponents weakness. Last year my team consisted of the following players through out the year:

Tevin Baker, John Kraemer and Dareiyus Richard from Beaumont Kelly. Jase Miguez and Kevin Howard from Nederland. Michael Saladin and Jamerson Roberts from Hardin Jefferson. Devin Ellis and Geary Senigaur from Central. Josh Hockless from Baytown Lee.

I would consider Baker, Kraemer, Richard, Miguez, Howard, Saladin and  Roberts some of the better players in SE Texas. I coach them, feed them, raise money for them, travel with them...and it's all for them. I want them to learn the game, have fun, build friendships, see new places and stay out of trouble in the summer. Last year when we went to New Orleans, it was the first time for most of the guys to be there. And wrapping up the day with Xbox tournaments in the room seems to be the highlight of their day. These are experiences that they will look back on and remember forever. So try not to paint it with a broad brush :)

Great Post.  And yes you can't generalize it I know there are good coaches out there on the AAU circuit whose soul intention is for the development of the player on both sides of the ball.  Im making my points on what I ve seen and the kids I have worked with that play AAU. 

Need more of you and less of the other.  Thank you for hard work and dedication.

AAU is a necessary evil.  The benefit they get from it is that they will be on the floor with other good players.  But as far as learning anything concerning basketball foundation skills..nah..I don't think so.  Learn how to hone their ability to score or handle the ball one on one for sure.  But there isn't any TEAM defense being played in most AAU circuits. 

Great Post.  And yes you can't generalize it I know there are good coaches out there on the AAU circuit whose soul intention is for the development of the player on both sides of the ball.  Im making my points on what I ve seen and the kids I have worked with that play AAU. 

Need more of you and less of the other.  Thank you for hard work and dedication.

The AAU coaches that teach ME ME ME ball, are KILLING these kids! And it makes it tough on High School coaches to break that trend. You can usually find the AAU coach in the stands. He's the one screaming "Go to work, shoot the ball, take him to the basket, D up , D up, D up." LOL

Changed with the times as in allowing kids to play the way they want to play. Just because you can score a basketball doesn't make you a basketball player. Any coach who tries to coach a high school team like coaching AAU would not have a job very long. Some of the kids have no respect for the GAME (Effort, teamwork, sacrifice) for the Officials good or bad calls; their opponents players,  coaches or fans. I have been around, played and watched basketball for a long time and today's high school and AAU players would have their milk money taking from them by some of those Lincoln, Hebert, BCP and Silsbee teams albeit in a very aggressive and respectful manner.

Especially the BCP players :)

This is the number one problem with summer basketball too much focus on games and winning and not enough on skill development. The number one problem in HS ball is some coaches not all cant figure out a system to utilize the kids they have. You cant be stuck in a system that isnt condusive to your kids. But hey what do i know im not a real coach jist a summer coach ..We could on and on about what does what. You must play defense in the summer because college coaches dont watch blow outs...lol... They will not sit thru a game like that. Also you can teach defensive princples but defense is a heart thing either you want to play it or you dont ask James Harden. 

This is the number one problem with summer basketball too much focus on games and winning and not enough on skill development. The number one problem in HS ball is some coaches not all cant figure out a system to utilize the kids they have. You cant be stuck in a system that isnt condusive to your kids. But hey what do i know im not a real coach jist a summer coach ..We could on and on about what does what. You must play defense in the summer because college coaches dont watch blow outs...lol... They will not sit thru a game like that. Also you can teach defensive princples but defense is a heart thing either you want to play it or you dont ask James Harden. 

Mamba is one of the good ones :) 

And yes, there is a bigger entity driving these devils from the top all the way down through high school. The NBA dictates a lot of basketball related moves and it trickles down thru college, prep schools, high schools, etc.

Dove, do you think the NBA is responsible for the development of great high school communications programs?

You forgot to mention Houston  Wheatley, Yates, Booker T. Washington, and Elmore. They all kicked those schools butt you just mentioned :)

I see the same things in high school too.

AAU is a necessary evil.  The benefit they get from it is that they will be on the floor with other good players.  But as far as learning anything concerning basketball foundation skills..nah..I don't think so.  Learn how to hone their ability to score or handle the ball one on one for sure.  But there isn't any TEAM defense being played in most AAU circuits. 

Dove, do you think the NBA is responsible for the development of great high school communications programs?

Nash, yes I do. I think the partnership with the NBA and the various sports channels have allowed many young players to see their peers making good money in communications.

From the sound of things, AAU basketball to the people of this website is very narrow-minded and a waste. That's a shame when trying to discuss AAU as a whole. For all the bad coaches who throw together a summer team, there are just as many Good coaches that are out to teach the players good habits on the court and improve them before the start of their high school season. It all comes down to the coach. What are you looking to get out of this? Are you promoting yourself or the kids?

I will do everything I can do teach kids defense in the summer. Proper man-to-man, correct rotations, different zones, etc.. The more exposure to that type of coaching, the better! The coaches who just sit back and "Roll a ball out" are wasting time and people money. For those opposing the AAU basketball world, I would recommend getting out and see the good programs and teams. That's where the team basketball is

I have never met a college coach who talked about defense. They can teach you that. They want somebody who has the potential to score or create a score.

Dove, this is half-true. Coaches want someone who looks comfortable out on the court and can put the ball in the basket. Scoring is becoming a rare thing now-a-days.

But I will quote quite a few college coaches I have talked to recently, "You are who you can guard." 

If you can't guard the guy in front of you going to D2 school, you aren't ready for D2. The most impressive things is Attitude, Court-awareness, Defensive Habits, and Scoring