Most Difficult Position

reccosdog

GOALKEEPER!!!!!... It is by far the most demanding... and most people havent the slightest idea about how physically demanding being a keeper is.... true we do not have to run for 90 minutes... BUT... I dare you to claim that a goal keeper who has made 10 + saves in a game isnt nearly or just as tired as a field player... The wear and tear on your body is unbelievable... KEEPER TRAINING IS THE MOST TIRING ACTIVITY IN SOCCER.... if any of you feild players would like to come spend a 30 minute session with me this summer, I would be more than happy to show you just how insanely tiring diving around is... Good keepers are usually great athletes... quick reactions... athleticism... technique... there are so many different aspects to being a goal keeper too... Youve got to worry about not only keeping the ball out of the back of the net... but ball distribution and defensive organization as well.... also... most people dont realize that Keepers have excellent footwork.... Do some plyometrics with a keeper some day and you will know what I am talking about..... Goal Keeping is #1... not to mention that most of us are nut jobs and completely loony..... 8)

I'll agree with Goal Keeping being the hardest position. The 2nd is hard to say. The wings have to run up and down the field while the center mid(s) can get away with walking somtimes. The there is infact center mid. Keeping posession lies on you. If the center mids have a bad game, the team doesnt end up scoring alot of goals. Sweeper is also hard. ANY goal that is scored looks like it is your fault. Having to shut down another teams atack again and again.

Look at what positions are hardest to fill.  A sweeper is the second hardest on the field.  Any position down the center of the field is hard because your surrounded on all sides with turmoil.  outside mid on right doesnt have much to worry aobut to his right except out of bounds and fans, and same on the left except nothing to their left.  Keeper, Sweeper ,,  but then if sweeper is great .. keeper has not much to do.. so maybe its the sweeper.

In order if importance on the field from a coach's perspective:

1.  Central Midfield - If you don't win the midfield, it's going to be tough to win the game.

2.  Sweeper - He's the field general.  In charge of marking assignments and communication.

3.  Marking Backs - If you have a top-notch sweeper and two good marking backs, you can put a trained monkey in the goal and still win a lot of games.  No offense, Jsmitty!  :-*

4.  Forward - No need to say much about them as most of them are ego-driven primadonnas anyway.  ;)

5.  Keeper - You don't realize how valuable a good one is until you don't have a solid one.

6.  Wingers - Brutal position to play and is usually platooned on the highschool level.  The world has started to realize the relavence of the gifted winger going back to Beckham and now with Christano Rinaldo.  Even Clint Dempsey is considered to be one of the US's top players, and he's on the flank.

Keeper is definitely the most mentally challenging spot on the field (Although I think you must be mentally challenged to play there!)  A forward can shank 8 straight one on ones and finish the next two and be called a hero, but a keeper can shut down 9 straight one on ones and give up one howler and be called the goat.  A keeper isn't evaluated on the saves he makes; he's judged on the ones he allows.

Hey now whats up with the hatred for the strikers we arent the most important player on the team and im sure you think that anyone can strike a ball but it does take some talent and with all do respect jsmitty, "I would love to shut you down!"

I bet you would... your a freshman right?... Ill be back in BMT this summer... you can let me know then when you want to "Shut me down"... ::)HAHAHHAAHA.... j/k....

Man this is a hard one . . . Every Position on the field is very demanding . . . Many players are natural at certian positions. . . I went from an outside mid-fielder to forward in college. . . That was a change . . . I think forwards have a tough position it might not be the hardest to play, but it has some intense pressure when you cannot find the back of the net. Somedays like everything goes in and others seem like the goalie just has your number. That also applys to a lot of other postions as well. Being a forward in college was a tough role for me, but also Keepers have it tough - I know i give my keepers one hell of a time at practice. haha yea strikers can be somewhat Cocky . . . Man when i was a player i was cocky like you would not believe.. . 

Good Post on this one. .. .

there aint no way that a keeper is the most difficult position on the field.  maybe noticed because he gets blamed for goals and hardly no credit for shots saved.  the keepers that are great make the easy saves and stops some great saves.. too too many keepers can make the great saves becuase there is no pressure .. if they make the save hero.. if they dont . a great shot.. but way way too many keepers let in too many easy shots. thats not difficult in shape position thats all mental.  sweeper and on up the middle is the most difficult hands down.  if your that tired after a game at keeper than your team sucks are your diving way too much and not on your feet..  or possibly your picking up balls in back of the net getting some stomach crunches in..  and the kid from png striker..  i cant wait to take notice of you on the field tongith what number would i be looking for so i can see the monkey kicking crap player. .. thanks

there aint no way that a keeper is the most difficult position on the field.  maybe noticed because he gets blamed for goals and hardly no credit for shots saved.  the keepers that are great make the easy saves and stops some great saves.. too too many keepers can make the great saves becuase there is no pressure .. if they make the save hero.. if they dont . a great shot.. but way way too many keepers let in too many easy shots. thats not difficult in shape position thats all mental.  sweeper and on up the middle is the most difficult hands down.  if your that tired after a game at keeper than your team sucks are your diving way too much and not on your feet..  or possibly your picking up balls in back of the net getting some stomach crunches in..  and the kid from png striker..  i cant wait to take notice of you on the field tongith what number would i be looking for so i can see the monkey kicking crap player. .. thanks

Well thats just my honest oppinion... Ive played every position on the field during my many years of playing... and Keeper is the most difficult in my oppinion... and whats this talk of no pressure???... there is more pressure on a goalkeeper than any other position... and I am sure any coach would attest to that... but whatever you think man.... so other than dogging on goalkeepers... can you pick a position???... other than your vague answer of positions through the middle... I would love to hear what other great insight you have for us ::)

I play left wing in HS soccer, but on my club team I play some left forward also.

Physically out mid has got to be the most tiring position on the field with all of the running you have to do up and down the sideline, but it's not to tough mentally because I guard my man and that is usually my only defensive duty.

Forward isn't tiring at all compared to wing, but I find it tougher to know what runs to make and such.

I've played other positions before, but I don't have much experience with them.

It's true they are all difficult and i have to give alot of respect to keepers You guys own the field! you stay in one box and eyes are always on you! You can be the hero for two minutes but miss a save and your butt is up for trade. Us strikers miss a few shots and we automatically get told that its ok just get another opportunity so all in all i think my respect goes to the keepers above all others!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder