UIL 5A playoff teams

dog71

Just wondering how the UIL comes up with 5A Districts. Who's word do they take on the schools enrollments. Dist 21-5A  and  22-5A have all legit 5A Schools. With a 2015-16 enrollment cutoff of 2100 enrollment, the top 2 21-5A schools have an enrollment of 1952 and 1861 while the top 2 schools in 22-5A have 1849 and 1778. I was listening to the 5A div 1 quarter final between George Ranch and Bryan who according to their web sites have  enrollments of 2401 and 2480. At the same time PA Memorial is playing 6A with an enrollment of 2110. 

The school districts have enrollment figures that they turn into the state in order to receive state funding.  Believe me, the school districts, cash strapped as most of them are, will not fudge their figures lower and risk losing several thousands in funding dollars.  The reasoning behind the big disparities are the fact that schools like George Ranch and Ridge Point are in areas where population growth is phenominal and can grow by 700-800 students in between re-alignments.

The school districts have enrollment figures that they turn into the state in order to receive state funding.  Believe me, the school districts, cash strapped as most of them are, will not fudge their figures lower and risk losing several thousands in funding dollars.  The reasoning behind the big disparities are the fact that schools like George Ranch and Ridge Point are in areas where population growth is phenominal and can grow by 700-800 students in between re-alignments.

more folks need to understand this in bold. 

Lamar Consolidated ISD, in which George Ranch is a member school, has grown over 6000 students in the last 4 years. When I started working there 4 1/2 years ago, the enrollment between the 4 schools (Rosenberg Lamar Consolidated, Rosenberg Terry, Richmond Foster and Richmond George Ranch) was a little over 23,000. Now it is well over 29,000. I don't know what they turned in for PEIMS. The numbers I'm quoting are the average daily attendance numbers.

Most of this growth was outside of the two cities, in the suburbs of Rosenberg and Richmond, meaning George Ranch and Foster received the vast majority of these new students. LCISD will open a new high school (Fulshear) next year and re-zone the districts. I don't know how that affects the numbers turned in during snapshot week this year.

Baytown Lee has the opposite effect a few years back when they were actually decent. Gcm opened and by all rights Lee should have been what was 4a st the time but had to wait until the next snapshot year. Had they been in 4a that last year they probably could have made some playoff noise but instead they had to play the north shore of the world with 1800 students.